• 4/10
  • 5/10
  • 6/10
  • 7/10
  • 8/10
  • 9/10
  • 10/10

0 voters

In the Mood for Love was a masterpiece, and his new movie 2046 was praised at Cannes this year.

check out the trailer (french subtitles), which is gorgeous

can’t wait to see that film

http://www.ocean-films.com/2046/

Thanks for the link, I’m so gonna watch this movie a hundred times when it comes out. Sadly my conncection sucks, so I can’t watch the trailer, but already the pictures where enough to put me into frenzied ecstasy. This looks waaay cool, seems like Wong Kar-Wei is eager to put his own masterpiece “Fallen Angels” to shame.

[quote=“diceman”]
Thanks for the link, I’m so gonna watch this movie a hundred times when it comes out. Sadly my conncection sucks, so I can’t watch the trailer, but already the pictures where enough to put me into frenzied ecstasy. This looks waaay cool, seems like Wong Kar-Wei is eager to put his own masterpiece “Fallen Angels” to shame.
[/quote]

fallen angels is pretty early work. in the mood for love was way better.

also, check out Happy Together. That movie was the shit, awesome acting

what’s it about?

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
what’s it about?
[/quote]

2046?

about a prostitute who lives in room 2046. thats all i know about it.

check out www.monkeypeaches.com - they have excellent coverage of every asian movie that comes out. they fight battles with miramax on a monthly basis, hehe

yeah, from just reading about his movies and not even seeing one, i’m practically a fan of Wong Kar Wai’s

i’ve seen In the Mood for Love at my local videostore and i really should check that out

also, Chunking Express and Ashes of Time sound great

Wong is one of my favorite directors, he’s so good at telling honest romances (with style!). Does anyone know when it will be released in the states?

not that soon. I hope Miramax does not pick this up…

i havent seen Ashes of Time yet. but most of the other important ones

It’s been quite a while since watching “In the Mood for Love”, but wasn’t there somewhere a room-number 2046, too? I almost certainly remember that. Would be a cool thing, if Wong Kar-Wei really was picking up such themes time and again in his movies, like Tarantino did with that Big Kahuha or Red-Apple-thing. And “Fallen Angels” (I think, the international title was “Chungking Express 2”) is still a favorite of mine. I particularly loved the use of colours in that movie. The editing was also brilliantly done and had a certain trippy feeling.

Fallen Angels is by far my favorite Wong film. I even included it on my top ten. Just everything about that movie is gorgeous. I think 2046 was the # on Tony Leung’s door. 2046 is about one of Tony Leung’s stories, I think. I may be wrong. I can’t wait to see it!

more 2046:

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/2046.html

Another Glowing 2046 Review!!

Just finished up Wong Kar-Wai’s latest “2046”… I really wasn’t prepared to see this movie so soon, its like Christmas early, when I got my dvd for it in the mail. The bad news on the DVD is whatever HK distributor released it, definitely rushed it out the door… so I’m really looking forward to a release where I can fully experience the movie visually (as here the picture is faded). Sound is good quality though.

2046 is a bold movie. The visuals, combined w/ the narrative, editing, music, acting, cinematography - all working in perfect harmony… will blow you away… the movie shows an even more assured and experimental Wong Kar-Wai, taking you the viewer on a journey of lost love that only he could deliver in such riveting fashion. I had read some reviews of the movie being way too confusing and hard to add up… with its narrative jumping back between the mid to late 1960’s and the year 2046… but trully I found the movie very easy to follow and it definitely adds up (which adds up in a way whereby it doesn’t over explain itself, but if your paying attention some scenes play much much more powerful when and once you connect the dots).

Visually the movie is like a silent film from the future… the framing, color palette, opticals, editing, lighting, different speeds… all combines to make this one of the most visually captivating movies ever to grace a movie screen.

The movie marks a progression for Wong Kar-Wai… is like a climax of all his other movies… yet perhaps his most sobering and daring look at love than his others… the scenes from the year 2046 in the movie are trully ahead of their time, and will offer a dazzling eyepopping visual tour de force, yet completely at the same time probably seperating it light years from any comparable movie on love… in a way that can make or break the movie for someone… since these sequences in a way are so uncommercial, they might come across as overtly pretentious or for others like me its completely daring helps me become even more immersed in the narrative. One

I had huge expectations for 2046… and the movie far exceeded what I thought it could possibly be. The movie feels quite disjointed for a good portion of its 2 hour running time, but thankfully in its final acts the movie strikingly in nonoverxplained fashion comes together for those that have paid attention, it really ultimately only adds up and can fully be enjoyed once you get it… which may require two or more viewings.

The score and use of music is lush and perfect.

Gong Li is great as always, as is Tony Leung. Faye Wong was a bit more stoic and somber here… and the real standout and my favorite performance of any actress this year is of Zhang Ziyi, not only is she filmed beautifully, but her performance here is captured perfectly… I trully hope she is recognized and lauded… I rarely see performances this enchanting, sad and vivid in a movie.

2046 is easily my second favorite movie of 2004, only behind “Oldboy.” 2046 is a very passionate and somber look at lost love… its not commercial, yet its daring to capture and display its own heart, makes it even more universal and void of artificial characters yearning… here we see and feel characters finding and losing love in only a way Wong Kar-Wai can capture, reeling us in… far beyond the usual way a movie can connect to us, 2046 will haunt and stir our memories and enrich our pursuit of love for some time to come… far more than just a movie to solely entertain.

i am forever tortured by the cinema right across the street from where Im living.

It has 2046, and OLDBOY and I could go see it anytime. But the problem is, 2046 is in Chinese and I DONT SPEAK CHINESE! OLDBOY is Korean and I DONT SPEAK KOREAN! and the subtitles are in Japanese and I CANT READ KANJI!

…SHIT!

I just finished watching 2046. And it was unbelievably good. It’s not perfect, but still. The music, cinematography, acting, pretty much everything was so great. Probably the most beautiful film I have ever seen.

I got the 2 disc Mei Ah DVD which was really good quality. Picture and sound were great. English subtitles were also good, and didn’t go too fast.

Take care, which DVD you’ll buy: The China-DVD is slightly cut in some of the more “explicit” scenes (although there won’t be anything outrageous, I think), while only the HK-DVD from Mei-Ah offers the whole movie. Let’s see, what other, “nearer” releases come up with . . .

[quote=“diceman”]
Take care, which DVD you’ll buy: The China-DVD is slightly cut in some of the more “explicit” scenes (although there won’t be anything outrageous, I think), while only the HK-DVD from Mei-Ah offers the whole movie. Let’s see, what other, “nearer” releases come up with . . .
[/quote]

I don’t know about the cuts but I’ve heard that the China-DVD is pretty bad quality. It has subtitle problems (like the FACE-logo popping up every five minuters), and the picture quality isn’t so good either. And I don’t think it even has the original language soundtrack.

Right now the Mei Ah DVD (very good quality) seems to be the one to choose.

I have also seen 2046, but I can not form a final, definite opinion about it yet. Why? Well, I have only seen it once ( which clearly isn’t enough considering the sheer magnitude of the film ). It blew me away visually, but the more subtle context wandered away unnoticed. I have learned to truly appreciate Wong Kar-Wai through Hung Fist, who made me sit through both In the Mood for Love and 2046. Now I am intrigued to see the rest of his films, and I would love to get recommendations from the more experienced WKW-lovers.

I saw the film yesterday and…

I WAS BLOWN AWAY!

This tops every movie has made so far. It’s an artistic orgasm that catapults you inside Wong Kar Wai’s world of narrow rooms and close relationships. A movie without any exteriors, without action, without suspense.

A Film full of emotion, style, great music and melancholy. The actors are all terrific and when the credits fall you start feeling this world the film takes place in, without even having seen it.

I give this an A+ and its easily one of the most memorable films of the year

Sadly I have never seen a Wong Kar Wai movie. I have Fallen Angels and Chunking Express but haven’t watched.

mm… I’ve seen In the mood for love and liked it… I’m really looking forward to seeing this one. :slight_smile: