Why is it called Reservoir Dogs?

in Poland it’s something like “Mad dogs” (“WÅ›ciekÅ‚e psy”)… actually I like this title:)

mad dogs hmm intersting

Have you ever noticed that many titles with the word “dog” or “dogs” are weird and make no sense? Reservoir Dogs, Dog Day Afternoon, Straw Dogs, Man Bites Dog. Real strange coincidence.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Have you ever noticed that many titles with the word “dog” or “dogs” are weird and make no sense? Reservoir Dogs, Dog Day Afternoon, Straw Dogs, Man Bites Dog. Real strange coincidence.
[/quote]
maybe its something about the name

I wouldn’t say they are weird, they are phrases.

true and maybe it just a random thing

Most of the “weird” movie names which include Dog are plays on phrases or things that do make sense. Like Man Bites Dog is just a play on the usual headline or story of a dog biting a man. Dog Day Afternoon makes sense to me too.

I think Man Bites Dog is some sort of dutch expression. We have a tv-show here that is called Man Bijt Hond (Man Bites Dog), not sure what it means, though.

In many societies Dogs are referred to as the lowest form of life. Even in the Bible, there are countless references which call Gentiles dogs. Shitty cars are referred to as dogs as well as ugly women. This movie is basically comprised of bandits who apparently aren’t very good at what they do…if they were then things wouldn’t have gotten so fucked up. I guess that’s why they are the Reservoir Dogs - loose translation - a collection of shitty bandits - but I’m probably wrong.

They also use dogs to pick up stuff in rivers…or in a reservoir of water…

So Joe Cabot using the lowest dogs to get his diamonds…

i agree with the whole Au Revoir and Straw Dogs thing but i think it has a seperate meaning. reservoir is somthing that holds somthing in theis case it’s holding dogs (criminals)

pam grier says it on the behind the scene features that it means like the junk yard dogs and if u look up the word reservoir it has two differant meanings the second being left over meaning the left over dogs whitch goes back to pam grier saying that they are the roughest meaning they are the left over the ones no one carred about so they became living with the concept of survival of the fittest, there for they are “The Reservoir Dogs”.

When QT worked in a video store, he referred to the French film ‘Au Revoir Les Enfants’ as ‘the reservoir film’ because he couldn’t pronounce the title. He combined this with ‘Straw Dogs’, a Sam Peckinpah film from 1971, to produce the title ‘Reservoir Dogs’.

oh well thats fucking clever. He thought two movie titles sounded “cool” together and said ya know what…fuck relevance. I’m just gonna call this bitch Reservoir Dogs.

I hope thats not the truth because thats fucking gay.

its not the truth its only a rumor yea somehow he does that but he decides to go to pulp fiction and actually look the words up.

cos it’s a damn cool name…

Well Just watched the new reservoir dogs 15th anniversary DVD and on there it has thing that tells you facts about the movie while you watch it and it said that he does not like to tell people where he got the name from and the ‘Au Reservoir Les Enfants’ theory was mention so the truth is we will never know…

badass movie

[quote=“Scarface”]
[/quote]

and ghost dog, what on earth does that mean?

[quote=“Toxic”]
The title refers to a customer whom Tarantino served while working as a video shop assistant. When Tarantino suggested hiring a French film Au revoir les enfants (1987), the customer apparently replied, “I don’t want no Reservoir Dogs!” The director decided this would be a good title for his script.

Was on IMDB, so I’ll go with that.
[/quote][quote=“Scarface”]
The funny thing is that I’m pretty positive in Italy it’s called “Le Iene”, meaning “The Hyenas”. I wonder how other countries translated the name “Reservoir Dogs”.
[/quote]

In norway we say; the rutheless, or ‘‘De nÃ¥delsløse’’ in norweigan… Its kinda goofy, I think.

mmm…at least it does make some sense at all ;D