Why is it called Reservoir Dogs?

[quote=“Tristan”]
mmm…at least it does make some sense at all ;D
[/quote]

Yea… Youre right… Ghost dogs is just plain idiotique…

I was comparing to Reservoir Dogs…

the Norway title sucks, but at least people kinda understand why it’s called like that…

The Ruthless? Wow, quite the name change.

[quote=“Tristan”]
I was comparing to Reservoir Dogs…

the Norway title sucks, but at least people kinda understand why it’s called like that…
[/quote]

Yea… It kinda fits…

I remember a interview with Quentin. He sayed he saw some french name movie. And in it said

Au Reservoir. So he changed it to Reservoir Dogs, beacuse he liked it that way.

[quote=“Mr.Purple”]
I remember a interview with Quentin. He sayed he saw some french name movie. And in it said

Au Reservoir. So he changed it to Reservoir Dogs, beacuse he liked it that way.
[/quote]

Nope, He worked at a video store where they rented a movie called Au Revoir Les Infants or something, and he called it the resevoir film, and thats where the movie name comes from. I think :stuck_out_tongue:

you forget that he combined it with his favorite movie at that time: Straw Dogs, hence: Reservoir Dogs!

[quote=“Bad Max”]
you forget that he combined it with his favorite movie at that time: Straw Dogs, hence: Reservoir Dogs!
[/quote]

I know, I was just explaining where resevoir came from… :stuck_out_tongue:

Reservoir means gas tank in French.

When QT worked in a video store, he referred to the French film ‘Au Revoir Les Enfants’ as ‘the reservoir film’ because he couldn’t pronounce the title. He combined this with ‘Straw Dogs’, a Sam Peckinpah film from 1971, to produce the title ‘Reservoir Dogs’.

I think that theory is true. But then again, why would they put pam grier on the reservoir dogs 10th anv. dvd saying it comes from “Reservoir” meaning left over. Meaning they are like the toughest they are the left over dogs, they had to learn to fend for there selves exc.

That was her interpretation of a Reservoir Dog, not the movie’s title.

After RD came out, Tarantino claimed that the title of his debut film came when his girlfriend said to him "I want to go see Louise Malle’s Au Revoir Les Enfants’ and he replied “I don’t want to see no Reservoir Dogs”. He later said to a friend “They’re going to try and attach so much significance to the title of the movie when in fact it means jack shit. I made it up.”

Yeah, I feel like there was never any solid reason for calling it Reservoir Dogs. He just picked it out of nowhere and everyone tried to make up some connections. It was a cool idea though and it certainly worked.

Yeah, QT loves that sort of stuff because it the very thing he himself used to do back with his Video Archives buddies. He knows how film geeks work because he is a film geek himself.

I remember him also saying that when he made it up, he said to himself: I’d love to see a movie called Reservoir Dogs. Thats all there was to it. It wasnt some deep idea. He just chose two words for a cool name. Although to me it still does sound like a mix of French New Wave and Sam Peckinpah.

[quote=“Pete (Back For More Fun)”]
I remember him also saying that when he made it up, he said to himself: I’d love to see a movie called Reservoir Dogs. Thats all there was to it. It wasnt some deep idea. He just chose two words for a cool name. Although to me it still does sound like a mix of French New Wave and Sam Peckinpah.
[/quote]

Well given QT’s cinephile mind, that aspect (French New Wave + Peckinpah) most probably played a part subconsciously.

By the way, I dig the idea of having films entitled with only two words. I hope he keeps this up throughout his career. It’s easy on the tongue and manages to sound cool at the same time. However, like we discussed in the other topic, he may decide to lay this trademark to rest (or put a new spin on it, think: DP “Engine shot”) and go with a title made up of a half sentence.

Yeah I like that too. RD, TR, PF, JB, KB, DP, IB. Who knows if he’ll use three someday. Maybe.

[quote=“Pete (Back For More Fun)”]
Yeah I like that too. RD, TR, PF, JB, KB, DP, IB. Who knows if he’ll use three someday. Maybe.

[/quote]

Well you could argue for Natural Born Killers, in which case you remove True Romance and only count the stuff he’s directed. Grave Danger is another one. But then again Motherhood isn’t. However, that probably wasn’t down to him.

I’m sure he could make one with more ASAP

what about my best friends birthday?