Which film school?

Hey guys, I need some advice.

Im going to Halifax next year to go to film school. Its what I want to do, and I know everyone on here probabyl wants to too. I’m almost done my first year of uni, and im just not into it, so im transfering. I always wanted to be a social worker, but now I dont know if my hearts in it. I have to decide between two film schools, that are very different. I want to learn the technical aspect, but also want to learn how to direct, besides my own ideas. When i say direct, I mean mostly mechanically, but developing through school is possible too. I also want something, that is my dream comes through and someone decides they want to produce my script, they’ll let me direct it too, because at least they’ll be confident I have the background. Anyways, just skim over these two breif description on the course, and give me some advice. Im not asking you to convince me, or make the desicion for me, that would be dumb and to much to ask for, Im just asking for what people think would be the best. I dont want to be taught to conform to mainstream media either, thats my biggest concern. My writing, like always, needs improvement, but I want to improve it on the path its going, not make it bland and conformist. Anyways, thanks for reading all this fellas!

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.nscc.ca/Learning_Programs/Pr … SCREENARTS”>http://www.nscc.ca/Learning_Programs/Programs/PlanDescr.aspx?prg=SART&pln=SCREENARTS</LINK_TEXT>

Admissions - Dalhousie University

I am getting my BA degree in social work this year actually and hope to go to filmschool in september of this year. :smiley:

Uhm the first one looks really practical and the second one is really just a study about film right? I am a bit tired, but the second one sounds like when you finish it you can become Ebert Plunderbunnie or something…but I think it will lack in practical stuff.

The first one lets you work with professionals and gives you technical background…I think that is what you want right?

'‘Ebert Plunderbunnie’'

Bwahahaha ;D

[quote=“Bad Max”]
’‘Ebert Plunderbunnie’'

Bwahahaha ;D
[/quote]

Yea, that was my reaction to ;D

Thanks Tig, thats the kind of advice im looking for! Everyon tells em Id like Dalhousie more, but it just seems like you study other peoples work, and I dont want to make movies like everybody else, and im sure alot of people would agree on that. Maybe ill go with the technical one. I have to get accepted first tho! ;D

Ps. Social workers do rock, and for all I know ill go back to it if i only do the 2 year course. Its a very noble profession. At least i can help people other ways if I dont make a career of it! :slight_smile:

:smiley:

Tell me about it! aplying is a bitch! :stuck_out_tongue: Plus I need to do plenty of stuff for the school i am doing now…well just hope for the best!

Why not come to europe and go to filmschool with Johny_Exhale and me :wink:

They both look short though? Are they both 2 years? I don’t have a clue about how your schoolsystem works, so I may be giving wrong advice…

A sister of a good friend of mine is doing a study like the second link. Its really just more about the stuff behind it. Its more like doing a study like arthistory. At least it is here in Holland.

[quote=“tarantino_is_god”]

Why not come to europe and go to filmschool with Johny_Exhale and me :wink:

[/quote]

hell yeah, come kick it with us 8)

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
hell yeah, come kick it with us 8)
[/quote]

hahaha, that would be…interesting ;D

Interesting icky? Or interesting: HELL YEAH!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

educational 8)

but to be honest, filmschool looks fucking hard to me, i mean, personally, i wasnt the bookworm in class, i slept my way through highschool and quit it at age 17, cracking the books all of a sudden is gonna be a slap in the face for me, film is my passion and becoming a director’s my mission in life, but it’s not gonna be easy, at all, filmschool is a must, but i better get my act together before i actually apply, cause once i start no way i’m gonna drop out, my sister’s in college which allready costs my parents a whole lotta money so i’m definitly not gonna let em waste theirs on me, i’m really gonna have to adapt to the “student” lifestyle, cause i’m not familiar with it at all, i sleep till noon everyday, get a job at night from and then, havent had a steady job in a year and a half

basicly: i’m a lazy bastard and have to change completely to pass filmschool

[quote=“tarantino_is_god”]
Interesting icky? Or interesting: HELL YEAH!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!
[/quote]

Alittle from column a…a little from column b…

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
educational 8)

but to be honest, filmschool looks fucking hard to me, i mean, personally, i wasnt the bookworm in class, i slept my way through highschool and quit it at age 17, cracking the books all of a sudden is gonna be a slap in the face for me, film is my passion and becoming a director’s my mission in life, but it’s not gonna be easy, at all, filmschool is a must, but i better get my act together before i actually apply, cause once i start no way i’m gonna drop out, my sister’s in college which allready costs my parents a whole lotta money so i’m definitly not gonna let em waste theirs on me, i’m really gonna have to adapt to the “student” lifestyle, cause i’m not familiar with it at all, i sleep till noon everyday, get a job at night from and then, havent had a steady job in a year and a half

basicly: i’m a lazy bastard and have to change completely to pass filmschool
[/quote]

Hhah, university already beat me into shape i think. Its WAY x10000 more work then high school, im not sure what film school will be like tho,

[quote=“plunderbunnie”]
Hhah, university already beat me into shape i think. Its WAY x10000 more work then high school, im not sure what film school will be like tho,
[/quote]

lol yeah i got that i think, cause you actually have to do something, my high school years were redicilous, i took the easiest course there was, people that took it were trained to get a job as soon as they got out of high school, they werent prepared to go to college or anything, i didnt do anything (litteraly) the last 2 years i was there

cause it was Too. Damn. Easy. (Scent of a Woman spoof if you didnt get it :stuck_out_tongue:)

it’s like starting from scratch for me, first grade all over again

WHAT R THE REQUIERMENTS TO GET INTO A FILMSCHOOL? DOES ANYBODY KNOW?