What Film School should I go to?

I need work on the basics. But I don’t want to compromise my style.

As in every art…you need to learn the rules to let them go…

Dont be as arrogant and say: I am the greatest gift to cinema ever…you need to know what cinema is first.

What Rodriguez says is: get technical. If you are gonna be brainwashed by filmschool and not being able to think for yourself than you are lost anyway.

Learn the rules, get technical and if you are special enough, make that happen what is so special about you. You have gotta learn from the best to even think of becoming the best…

I don’t think you need film school to write and direct a movie but you

do need someone on your crew that’s been there. You sure as fuck

don’t need a $90,000 camera either. Chances are if you’re making an

independant film you won’t be able to afford a camera that doesn’t

come with a manual. Some of the best movies ever made came before

some hack started a film school.

Hans,

I agree that filmschool doesn’t increase your creative potiental(I picked that word for a reason), but I do think that filmschool provides you with the tools and knowledge to FULFILL your creative potiental, that you might not of, otherwise.

I just thought of a cheesy analogy, but bear with me:

A person can be born with the talent and potiental to be a great writer, but if he doesn’t ever pick up a pen, he’ll never become one.

[quote=“DexPac”]
I don’t think you need film school to write and direct a movie but you

do need someone on your crew that’s been there. You sure as fuck

don’t need a $90,000 camera either. Chances are if you’re making an

independant film you won’t be able to afford a camera that doesn’t

come with a manual. Some of the best movies ever made came before

some hack started a film school.
[/quote]

You’re absolutely right, you don’t need film school to write or direct a movie. But you’re living in a dream world if you think you’re going to find people (not your friend Timmy and his little brother Pete) to take your film seriously without any credentials.

It’s hard, hard, hard, hard, hard work to make a feature length film, at least one that you could actually market. You need at least a shotgun microphone, a camera that supports XLR connections, lighting units, etc. If you’re talking about a little movie that you make with your friends in a backyard, then sure, you don’t need to goto filmschool for that, because that’s just not marketable.

Even small independant marketable movies these days, have a producer, director, a certified crew, actual actors and equipment (though it’s nothing fancy), take up A LOT of people’s time, effort and money. So to reiterate what I said in my first paragraph, you’re going to have a hell of a time finding people, people with experience at least to take you or your project seriously.

Which reverts to what I’ve said a while back when this thread was first posted: Filmschool also helps establish and find these connections. CONNECTIONS. CONNECTIONS. CONNECTIONS. For the sake of my own mental health, I’m not going to repeat myself anymore.

If you think otherwise, best of luck to you.

very true, i said that before, filmschool is what seperates you from all the millions of shmucks with camera’s running around trying to be succesfull, filmschool is a very good step in the right direction

[quote=“deliveryman”]
Hans,

I agree that filmschool doesn’t increase your creative potiental(I picked that word for a reason), but I do think that filmschool provides you with the tools and knowledge to FULFILL your creative potiental, that you might not of, otherwise.

I just thought of a cheesy analogy, but bear with me:

A person can be born with the talent and potiental to be a great writer, but if he doesn’t ever pick up a pen, he’ll never become one.

[/quote]

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that. If anything, Film School gets you in the door by your Degree status alone, if it doesn’t help in any other way. I’m not knocking FS in any way; I just think that a lot of kids sign up thinking that it’ll provide them with all the answers when really it’s only a stepping stone to much of what you already know (don’t know if I worded that right, but I think you get my point).

[quote=“Hans”]
Yeah, I pretty much agree with that. If anything, Film School gets you in the door by your Degree status alone, if it doesn’t help in any other way. I’m not knocking FS in any way; I just think that a lot of kids sign up thinking that it’ll provide them with all the answers when really it’s only a stepping stone to much of what you already know (don’t know if I worded that right, but I think you get my point).
[/quote]

Agreed 100%.