I keep reading and hearing about guilty pleasure movies. I don’t understand that concept. Why would anybody feel guilty for liking/loving a movie? Or even embarrassed? Do people really have such low self-confidence?
I love a lot of movies that are considered bad, but I hesitate to contribute to any “gulity pleasure favourites” list, because I don’t feel guilty or embarrassed about any of them.
Use this thread to contribute to the discussion or post your “guilty pleasure movie list”, ideally both.
My list of movies that I love where there seems to be a general consensus that they are “bad”:
- The Apple
- Smokey and the Bandit
- The Sound of Music (It appears you’re not supposed to like it if you are male, heterosexual and between 16 and 30)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- The Delta Force
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze
- BMX Bandits
- The Wizard of Oz (cynics say this movie is not good…what??)
- RoboCop (I’ve seen this title too on “guilty pleasure”-lists)
- Lone Wolf McQuade
- Puppet Master (Instantly bad of course because there are killing puppets :- people are idiots)
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
- The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
genre-wise, it appears that you aren’t supposed to love muscials, the german “Heimatfilme”, many B-and C-movies, and more generally all “outdated” movies that don’t fit the zeitgeist. And kids movies.