War movies

[quote]Zulu is awesome. There isn’t a single scene of action 60 minutes into it, but who cares. [/quote]

Ya, but the last 70 minutes or so is nothing but action

[quote]

Ya, but the last 70 minutes or so is nothing but action[/quote]

What's wrong with dat?

Nothing, i was saying that that is a good thing

When Trumpets Fade is a war movie worth checking out… not the best by a mile but worth a look…

But avoid Hamburger Hill like the plague.

My favorites:

Saving Pvt.Ryan

Band of Brothers

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

why has noone mentioned The Thin Red Line?

anyway, thats a masterpiece.

i would also recommend the german film STALINGRAD. its great to see a WW2 movie from a German prospective, its thorougly depressing film, and makes you feel very cold, but its really good.

Cap. Peachfuzz

[i]I’ve seen a lotta war movies in my day

1. Platoon
  2. Full Metal Jacket
  3. Black Hawk Down
  4. Apocalypse Now
  5. Behind Enemy Lines [/i]

DNS:

You’d rather put Enemy Lines in there instead of Saving Private Ryan?? Is Behind Enemy lines even considered a war movie

Cap. Peachfuzz:

Shit! I forgot all about that movie. You are absoluly right.

Good man.

Bronson:

[i]DON’T YOU EVER PUT APOCALYPSE NOW LOWER THAN A 2 GODDAMMIT!

Just kidding, but seriously, AN is the epitome of war films. Behind Enemy Lines is shit compared to the brilliance of Apocalypse Now. This is my list:

6. Apocalypse Now
  7. Platoon
  8. Full Metal Jacket
  9. Saving Private Ryan
  10. Black Hawk Down

Its interesting how Apocalypse Now, a very famous Vietnam movie, has Martin Sheen, and then with Platoon, yet another very famous Vietnam movie, has Charlie Sheen, Martin’s son. [/i]

The admin:

[i]Behind Enemy Lines? That stupid flick with Hackman and Owen Wilson? that’s not a war movie,thats a hollywood bullshit action film with mock-realism… come on…

my tops: NO ORDER:

Vietnam Films:
  • Apocalypse Now Redux
  • Dead Presidents
  • Platoon
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • Born on the 4th of July
  • The Deer Hunter

World War 2 films:
  • The Thin Red Line
  • The longest Day
  • Saving Private Ryan

Modern War Films (Iraq, etc…):
  • Black Hawk Down (Somalia conflict)
  • Three Kings (Gulf War satire)
  • Thirteen Days (Cuba Missile Crisis)

I can’t think of more at this moment, I’ll update my post when I can think of some more.

I haven’t seen yet, but will watch soon:
  • Casualties of War (vietnam)
  • The silent American (vietnam) [/i]

Scarface:

In my opinion:

Greatest Vietnam movie: Apocalpyse Now

Greatest World War 2 movie: Schlindler’s list (can’t believe no-one mentioned it, I guess it’s because there isn’t any actual fighting in it).

Puck:

Its a historical drama. Kinda like how no one listed the Pianist, either.

BadMofo:

Apocalypse Now

Saving Private Ryan

The Thin Red Line

Black Hawk Down

Band Of Brothers (Not a technically a movie, but the best of the best)

Starkey:

WINDTALKERS. HOLY COCK SHIT, if any of you people have seen that MOTHER FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKIN piece of shit than i am SURE YOU KNOW what i am about TO SAY. Well lets start off by saying that i have already comitted to much of my time talking about this BITCH FUCK OF A MOVIE.

if you want to see the reasons i hate WINDTALKERS so much, and i recomend you do, than go the Non-Tarantino Movie Board than go to the sub-catagory matchstick men/Underworld and flip through the pages untill you find the things i have said about this.

by the way everything about that movie i say is true including the fact that i would rather get raped by prison guards than see it

The admin:

well… Windtalkers… it’s a pretty controversial thing to hail this as such a good war movie.

one: it’s OVER-stylized two: its very brutal, and that one-sided three: it’s highly entertaining and more of an action movie.

I had fun watching Windtalkers but set aside the fact that the Quality of the DVD rulez everybody’s ass and the movie is fun to watch and well-directed, it lacks seriousity

Winslow Leach:

[i]That sounds like your describing Kill Bill. An over stylized, brutal, highly entertaining action movie. Sorry, but Craptalkers isnt even close to being as cool as Kill Bill and I havent even seen Kill Bill yet.

My Top 5: (Not judging by politically correct or historically correct)

1. Apocalypse Now (Vietnam)
  2. The Great Escape (WW2)
  3. The Steel Helmet (Korea)
  4. The Deer Hunter (Vietnam)
  5. The Big Red One (WW2) [/i]

Puck:Damn! How could I forget Great Escape? Thats just one of the best films of all time. Period.

Laydback:

Gulf war)

Three Kings

(Vietnam)

Platoon

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket

(Korea)

The Steel Helmet

(WWII)

The Thin Red Line

The Longest Day

Empire of the Sun

Stalingrad

Saving Private Ryan

Bridge on the River Kwai

(WWI)

All Quiet on the Western Front

Sgt. York

Johnny Got his Gun

Wolf:

Swords and Arrows

Braveheart

American Revolution

The Patriot

The Last of the Mohicans

Civil War

Glory

Gods and Generals

World War II

Saving Private Ryan

The Thin Red Line

The Sands of Iwo Jima

Vietnam

Full Metal Jacket

Platoon

Dead Presidents

Apocalypse Now

We Were Soldiers

The Walking Dead

Modern

Black Hawk Down

[quote]why has noone mentioned The Thin Red Line?

anyway, thats a masterpiece.

i would also recommend the german film STALINGRAD. its great to see a WW2 movie from a German prospective, its thorougly depressing film, and makes you feel very cold, but its really good.[/quote]

i totally agree.

and Stalingrad is totally awesome and shocking.

I’m just watching the Director’s Cut of “Windtalkers”. Woohoooo!

But, hmmm, there must be something wrong when I watch an earnest movie like this and I’m only able to think: “Woohooo, great stuff, best action-direction I’ve seen in a long time”. But it’s John Woo. Action still seems to be some sort of religion to him and he celebrates it more than he probably should. “Windtalkers” really is a controversial thing. As a War-Movie it’s really bad and full of clichés. But if you just look at the action and all the exciting stuff, it’s one of the best things that possibly could happen to you (except, maybe, getting laid by Jessica Alba all of a sudden and please mind, that I’m using a widely accepted, non-subjective and generally comprehensible metaphor here).

The Director’s Cut of “Windtalkers” is one hell of an action-movie, a 100 times better than the theatrical version, and, yes, I also feel kinda bad for enjoying it so much. :-</E>

[quote=“diceman”]
(except, maybe, getting laid by Jessica Alba all of a sudden[/quote]

MAYBE?? Man I can understand your love for Woo, but damn!

Coming home (love that speech at the end)

full metal jacket (the drill sgt. is soooo real)

the war at home is one of the best life-after-war movies, you got to see it