Valkyrie

I dunno if it’s me but the film was technically fucked up. Numbers appeared above the screen and the MIC hovered above the actors in a few scenes! I think the projectionist fucked up the reels, I don’t think it was properly formatted. Anyways seeing Goebels in this film reminded me how bad I wanted to see Inglorious Basterds. As far as this movie goes, I thought it was worth watching, but nothing big that would want to make me buy it. What can I say… Bryan Singer sucks balls, but Tom Cruise was great as always.

I can’t wait to see the movie. I don’t expect much but Tom Cruise’s haircut seems great in an oldfashion way.

my expectations for this movie are so low… i’ll might even like it :slight_smile:

I know it’s not just me cos my friends are the same way, I just can’t look at Tom Cruise the same since his scientology speeches. He weirds me out now, and I never want to watch another movie that has him in it.

I love Tom Cruise. I’ve never read much about his scientology stuff, for me it’s the acting front and center… why would I care about the rest? He’s a talented guy with a great resume, however I’ve always thought of Bryan SInger as inconsitent.

Watched it last night, I actually like Singer and think Cruise is a good but overexposed actor and ultimately I liked the film although it’s a less dramatic work than I was expecting. Some nice tension at times, but often I was more reminded of Tora, Tora, Tora! than anything in the way that it depicts much of what happened but without much emotion - which isn’t a bad thing. I actually enjoy the honesty - although I can’t say how legitimate the film is in historical accuracy. The best I could tell with my limited knowledge, it was done fairly well. Although I question some historical facts. The amount of SS soldiers arrested during the operation (the film speaks of something like 1,200 in France in the post-assassination attempt hours), Stauffenberg’s being so vehement in his disapproval of the concentration camps and slave labor, etc. I’ve never read any books on the situation so my knowledge is limited.

Still, from what I gather it seems to carry many of the facts from the true story and is still a nicely crafted thriller.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
I love Tom Cruise. I’ve never read much about his scientology stuff, for me it’s the acting front and center… why would I care about the rest? He’s a talented guy with a great resume, however I’ve always thought of Bryan SInger as inconsitent.
[/quote]

Watch him talking about scientology on youtube. Everytime I see his face now, I just see, that.

[quote=“Geoi”]
Watch him talking about scientology on youtube. Everytime I see his face now, I just see, that.
[/quote]

I don’t wanna ruin the mystique lol. Imagine a world where we knew nothing about actors besides the movies their in… ahh… one can dream

[quote=“Geoi”]
[/quote]

He’s no worse than other brainwashed nuts from other religions.

[quote=“Scarface”]
He’s no worse than other brainwashed nuts from other religions.
[/quote]

Oh yeah he is.

oh yeah I watched this a few weeks back. Wasn’t alltogether a bad movie. It was full of suspense, the acting was good, it was a nice piece of… caper/heist/assassination cinema. But it sorta failed to give the character more depth. It’s hard to believe his changes in idea happened overnight. He’s in africa and BAM now he wants to kill hitler… a bit shaky. i’m not saying they should fix up history, but as a movie for american audience, they should’ve done a bit more “explaining” maybe.

also, i’d seen the german tv movie from 2004, so to me this was sort of a hollywood remake. not to mention that everyone knows what happens anyway.

bottom line: worth watching, but nothing out of the ordinary, especially from my perspective

Had anyone other than Tom Cruise had led this movie, it wouldn’t have the ‘avoid at all costs’ reputation. But I quite like Tom, I look beyond his sofa moments and his ‘religious’ beliefs. He’s a really nice guy and a decent actor.

[quote=“Cyd”]
Had anyone other than Tom Cruise had led this movie, it wouldn’t have the ‘avoid at all costs’ reputation. But I quite like Tom, I look beyond his sofa moments and his ‘religious’ beliefs. He’s a really nice guy and a decent actor.
[/quote]

Definitely. People shouldn’t take his personal life into account when watching his movies, I think he can be an intense and powerful actor, just look at magnolia. But I was really interested in the project when Patrick Wilson was attached, he’s fantastic, he was in Little Children, Angels in America and will be in Watchmen.

It was an entertaining though not great thriller… I agree it didnt deserve all the bad press it got though

Yeah, I didn’t understand either. The movie ain’t bad, Tom Cruise is great, you’re still interested even if you know the ending before the begining of the movie.

Only one negative thing : they speak in german only the first minute, and then it’s all english. It’s usually not a problem but the whole point is to understand that germans themselves try to kill Hitler and you suddently forget that fact cause they’re speaking english. Sounds like some foreign commandos trying to kill nazis.

They were probably going for the Schindler’s List element. English with the German twang.

I thought Valkyrie was good, I really enjoyed it. I’m defenately going to buy the DVD when it comes out.

[quote=“Charlie99”]
I thought Valkyrie was good, I really enjoyed it. I’m defenately going to buy the DVD when it comes out.
[/quote]

or you could donate money to scientology directly and save some space on your DVD shelf ;D