Top 10 Westerns

[size=120]I am a huge Western fan. I even like those shitty American westerns they always show at like 2 in the afternoon here on school days. I love everything about them. Ever since I can remember I have been watching them. I suppose it’s because I was exposed to them when I was a kid that I, today, enjoy and love westerns. They remind me of old times. This list is about westerns in general, they can be American-westerns, Spaghetti-westerns or maccoroni-and-cheese-with-a-side-plate-of-anchovy-westerns.

[color=red]What are your top 10 westerns?

Mine are:[/size]

[size=150]1. The Good The Bad And The Ugly (1966), dir.Sergio Leone[/size]

[size=150]2. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969), dir.George Roy Hill[/size]

[size=150]3. Unforgiven (1992), dir.Clint Eastwood[/size]

[size=150]4. Once Upon A Time In The West (1968), dir.Sergio Leone[/size]

[size=150]5. For A Few Dollars More (1965), dir.Sergio Leone[/size]

[size=150]6. A Fistful Of Dollars (1964), dir.Sergio Leone[/size]

[size=150]7. Rio Bravo (1959), dir.Howard Hawks[/size]

[size=150]8. The Searchers (1956), dir.John Ford[/size]

[size=150]9. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962), dir.John Ford[/size]

[size=150]10. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976), dir.Clint Eastwood[/size]

huge wester fan aswell, huge

1. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (how the fuck can this not be your favorite film of all time?)

2. The Searchers

3. Once upon a time in the West

4. For a Few Dollars More

5. Stagecoach

6. The Great Silence

7. She Wore a Yellow RibbonÂÂ

8. A Fistful of Dollars

9. The Horse Soldiers (i love Civil War/Cavalry westerns)

10. Rio Bravo

1. Once Upon A time in the West

2. "Doc"

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

4. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

5. Hour of the Gun

6. For a few dollars more

7. Rio Bravo

8. Django

9. The Searchers

10. Open Range :-[

[quote=“LetsGoToWork”]

10. Open Range :-[
[/quote]

don’t be embarressed, it’s a great film, best western since Dead Man if you ask me

1. Once upon a time in the west

2. DUCK, YOU SUCKER (AKA a fistful of dynamite)

3. For a few dollars more

4. The good, The bad and The ugly

5. The great silence

6. The searchers

7. Butch cassidy and the sun dance kid

8. The wild bunch

9. Red river

10. Death rides a horse

American:

The Wild Bunch

High Plains Drifter

Little Big Man

Tombstone

Pat Garret & Billy the Kid

Dead Man

Unforgiven

Fort Apache (Though this might be more “Calvary” than western)

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Gunfight at the OK Coral

Spaghetti:

All Leone films (Count em all as one)

The Great Silence

Companeros

My Name is Nobody

Death Rides a Horse

Trinity is still my name

Bullet for the General

Four of the Apocalypse

The Big Gundown

Vengeance

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
don’t be embarressed, it’s a great film, best western since Dead Man if you ask me
[/quote]

Yeah no need to be embarassed LetsGoToWork!!

Open Range would probably be number 12 in my list. It was a great film, inspired hugely by Unforgiven. The end shootout was mind-blowing and the atmosphere in the film, created mostly by the cinematography was superb. It was especially good to know that a western was made considering the genre is pretty much dead. Costner is a brilliant director, wish I could say the same about his acting :-</E>

Thanks guys. until this thread I have heared nothing but bad critism about Open Range.

The Long Riders diserves a top 10 spot aswell, God i love that film

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
The Long Riders diserves a top 10 spot aswell
[/quote]
no it doesn’t.

open range is a kickass film, with the exception of kevin costner

[quote=“Rambler666”]
no it doesn’t.

open range is a kickass film, with the exception of kevin costner
[/quote]

Considering the fact that he both starred in and directed the film, that statement doesn’t make much of a sense does it?

when you are talking about top ten westerns of all time the problem wouldn’t be to make your ‘‘death list ten’’ but how to pick just ten among the plehora of other favourites.Western has always been one of the classical symbols of U.S.of A.,a genre that is marked by lonely riders,rifels,colts(and other types of pistols who we all know and love),by strong,poetic tales of loyality,friendship,betrayel and one for whom we film buffs are known to worship-vendetta,vengance or simply known as Revenge:) I do,like many others,love Ford but the directors who really made movie history are by my very own humble opinion-Mr. Hawks & Mr. Leone. I know-Rio Bravo(my all-time number one) & the ‘‘Dollars’’ trilogy are right there on that list but I ask you,where is ‘‘One-eyed jacks’’??? Not only is that one of the best Marlon Brando movies,it’s one of the greatest westerns.I don’t know if you agree with me,but I think QT does(don’t you?). I won’t be writing you anymore about westerns,I will give you a hint of what list you should make-top ten war movies of all-time… I have a feeling that ‘‘Where eagles dare’’ & ‘‘The great escape’’ will be right at the top of that list;) Think that even Alexander De Large would have blessed me with his ‘’…right-right…’’ for saying this.

;D Sonia Tarantino

[quote=“sonia_tarantino”]
when you are talking about top ten westerns of all time the problem wouldn’t be to make your ‘‘death list ten’’ but how to pick just ten among the plehora of other favourites.Western has always been one of the classical symbols of U.S.of A.,a genre that is marked by lonely riders,rifels,colts(and other types of pistols who we all know and love),by strong,poetic tales of loyality,friendship,betrayel and one for whom we film buffs are known to worship-vendetta,vengance or simply known as Revenge:) I do,like many others,love Ford but the directors who really made movie history are by my very own humble opinion-Mr. Hawks & Mr. Leone. I know-Rio Bravo(my all-time number one) & the ‘‘Dollars’’ trilogy are right there on that list but I ask you,where is ‘‘One-eyed jacks’’???(directed by Marlon himself) Not only is that one of the best Marlon Brando movies,it’s one of the greatest westerns.I don’t know if you agree with me,but I think QT does(don’t you?). I won’t be writing you anymore about westerns,I will give you a hint of what list you should make-top ten war movies of all-time… I have a feeling that ‘‘Where eagles dare’’ & ‘‘The great escape’’ will be right at the top of that list;) Think that even Alexander De Large would have blessed me with his ‘’…right-right…’’ for saying this.

;D Sonia Tarantino
[/quote]

[quote=“Scarface”]
Considering the fact that he both starred in and directed the film, that statement doesn’t make much of a sense does it?
[/quote]

i should have put with the exception of his acting and he is just annoying. maybe he wasn’t directing him self properly.

[quote=“Rambler666”]
no it doesn’t.

[/quote]

yes it does, it my favorite Jesse James film, plus i also spotted that it kind of influenced RD, especially Mr Blonde going apeshit during the robbery vs. Dennis Quaid going apeshit during the robbery in the beginning

1. Once upon a Time in the West

2. The good, the Bad, and the Ugly

3. A fistful of dollars

4. Death Rides a Horse

5. Unforgiven

My Current Top 10 (Neo/Classic/American/Spaghetti) Westerns:

1. The Good the Bad and the Ugly

2. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

3. Unforgiven

4. Once Upon A Time in the West

5. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

6. No Country For Old Men

7. The Searchers

8. The Wild Bunch

9. The Proposition

10. Rio Bravo

Ahhh, westerns. Who doesn’t love 'em?

1. Once Upon a Time in the West

One of the most gorgeous movies of all time. The climax makes me cry. No question about this getting the number one spot. The following four are much harder to rank.

2. Rio Bravo

An extremely enjoyable hang-out with John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and others.

3. The Great Silence

This movie by Sergio Corbucci should be as widely acknowledged as any Sergio Leone film. It seems like only spaghetti western fans know this. One of the bleakest westerns ever.

4. Unforgiven

… And continuing with the bleakness. Clint Eastwood’s crowning achievement.

5. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Only my number 5 western at the moment. Not to be taken as an insult, it’s still a masterpiece.

6. Vamos a Matar, Compañeros

Another Sergio Corbucci western that should be more than just a cult classic. One of Morricone’s most exhilirating soundtracks in an awesomely funny and action filled blast of a movie.

7. Django

The third Corbucci western on my list. Probably his best known movie. And yeah, it’s every bit as awesome as you’ve heard.

8. Fistful of Dollars

The one that started it all. It’s still one of the best spaghetti westerns.

9. My Name Is Nobody

I should see this again but based on my first viewing, I recall this being maybe the best purely comedic spaghetti western.

10. Dead Man

I just recently fell upon a quote of Jim Jarmusch saying “You can’t learn to be that good, he’s a born filmmaker” I have to say, I agree.

Ify, love your list, but my list would slide everything down 1 but the Good, the Bad, & the Ugly and put Once Upon A Time in the West 2nd. Love that movie. Also take your number 9 and 10 off and put in Fistful of Dollars and For a few Dollars more. That would be my list.

[quote=“GRINDHOUSE”]
Ify, love your list, but my list would slide everything down 1 but the Good, the Bad, & the Ugly and put Once Upon A Time in the West 2nd. Love that movie. Also take your number 9 and 10 off and put in Fistful of Dollars and For a few Dollars more. That would be my list.
[/quote]

Yeah, I had a hard time after my top 5, but in the end I had to sacrifice the first two in the Dollars trilogy. The reason being, although my heart was telling to go with them, my head was saying “well which films are the most accomplished?”, hence I chose Proposition and Rio Bravo. Check out my original list on page 1, I guess as time has gone by, my views on the the first two Dollars films have lessened. I need to watch films 7-10 on my list again though, they may change places after that.