The Narcissistic Man From Hollywood

Tarantino’s self-parody idea for “The Man From Hollywood” (TMFH) episode is typically arrogant of him but IMO this is why the scene is interesting. The only problem here is QT’s acting. I find it amusing that he is acting as himself but cannot actually make the role convincing enough. On paper, the lines are totally tarantino-esque and I could so see him lament endlessly about the qualities of Crystal Champagne over standard champagne or America’s treatment of Jerry Lewis in real life. However on film he fails to successfully impersonate himself. There are a number of times where you can tell he fluffs his lines and has to correct himself (but I’m sure his excuse would be that his character was drunk at the time). Right from the start where he is talking to Tim Roth in the doorway you can tell he does not feel comfortable. He is unsure whether to look directly into the camera (to make the audience think that they are viewing the whole scene from Tim Roth’s perspective) or to look directly at Tim Roth’s character meaning QT would be looking just to the left of the camera.

What I did fine interesting was the fact that the first 15 mins of the scene was shot entirely in one take without QT even in control of the camera. However I’m sure he did this purposely to prove he can act as well as adlib.

These comments are not a critical view at Tarantino’s overall acting. They are only directed at his acting in this movie.

P.S. Has anyone seen David Lynch’s “Hotel Room”? Apparently Four Rooms was loosely based on that film. I’ve heard that it too is divided into several individual stories. What are your opinions on both films…?

four rooms was pretty good i thought…at least good enuff for me to buy on dvd but, anyway the first room sucked, the second room has a hot bitch…the 3rd room was hillarious, and the fourth room was written and directed beutifully and i found it very hillarious the way tarantino played chester rush

Cocotti, I think your analysis is pretty good. I thought the same thing.

Maybe it would’ve been better if Tarantino had somebody play HIM… but in the end, only QT can play QT…

QT’s sort film in “Four Rooms” was nothing great. The entire scene semed like some sort of skit from SNL. Probobly because of that part where it’s only one take. QT was just acting the way he acts in real life. He can’t say anything without stuttering. Or forgetting lines.

4 Rooms kicked ass! Ensemble cast (Madonna,Banderas,Willis). Tim Roth really shined, and there were some F’n funny lines. The best compilation of short stories since “Twighlight Zone”

i like that guy…i agree totally with the four rooms being great

and he also said effin only he spelled it F’n wich is the wrong way to spell it by the way…

does anybody know why bruce willis isn’t mentioned at all in the credits !!! i mean, even selma hayek is listed as “the tv dancing girl”… so what about bruce??

I read so much bad reviews about 4R, but I bought it for seeing the QT part.

Well and it was better than I expect. I didn´t find it that bad like some other members posted somewhere on the board.

IMO it was worth to pay for the DVD.

@ Brown Dog:

I think it is a Union thing. AFAIK he didn´t get money for it and so he cannot been mentioned in the credits. Everyone who recieve money, must be named in the credits.

i honestly don’t care about the quality of Quentin’s acting in The MFH

those 25minutes just make me sit back, enjoy and smile

i love the speed, i love the snaps fingers back and forth dialogue between all characters wich -in very little time- are being succesfully developed

i feel like i know Norman, i feel like i know Chester, i feel like i know Leo and i definitly like the other side of Ted wich is being shown

its just one room, its just these four guys (and Angela ofource, but shes not getting involved)

it makes me feel good, the other 3 rooms kind of stress me out and even bore me a little (i don’t like The Misbeheavers, looks like a fucking Chevy Chase movie, im a big RR fan what was he thinking? I hated it)

I rewinded the one minute speech 10 times when i first saw it (seriously ten times, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10)

Pure and Uncut Tarantino

so little time

so much greatness

i even know the majority of people hate The Man From Hollywood, including QT fans but i dont know why i like it so much, i just do…

and i know that im probably gonna “Shock” a few people with this but i wonder if PF would be even better if Paul Calderon would have gotten the part of Jules? And Sam Jackson as English Bob

@ CPS, so Selma Hayek got paid for a 7 second dancing scene and Bruce didnt get paid for a 20 minute acting scene?

that’s crazy

I think that he acted the exact same way he does in person. I never had a problem with Tarantino’s acting. My drama teacher disagrees.

Qt’s acting sucks balls…but that doesnt make his “cameos” less enjoyable. I loved him in four rooms, because you accept QT being QT.

I dunno if its narcissistic, because his love for cinema seems to go beyond his selflove…

YEAH,I AGREE.HE WAS A LITTLE ANNOYING.THE WAY HE RUSHED HIS LINES…

PERSONALLY I DIDN’T LIKE THE OTHER THREE STORIES IN 4ROOMS.THEY WERE SO DUMB…

ESPECIALLY THE MISBEHAVERS.THOSE CHILDREN GET ON MY NERVES!

[quote=“Professional Widow”]
YEAH,I AGREE.HE WAS A LITTLE ANNOYING.THE WAY HE RUSHED HIS LINES…

PERSONALLY I DIDN’T LIKE THE OTHER THREE STORIES IN 4ROOMS.THEY WERE SO DUMB…

ESPECIALLY THE MISBEHAVERS.THOSE CHILDREN GET ON MY NERVES!
[/quote]I thought that was the funniest segment of them all. I laughed my fucking ass off when The bell boy found the dead whore. H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S !

the misbehavours was by far the best segment followed by QT’s but that isnt really saying a lot. they were slightly amusing at best. Words cannot describe how bad the other two segments are and how annoying Tim Roth is in this movie. Terrible terrible film for the most part.

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
the misbehavours was by far the best segment followed by QT’s but that isnt really saying a lot. they were slightly amusing at best. Words cannot describe how bad the other two segments are and how annoying Tim Roth is in this movie. Terrible terrible film for the most part.
[/quote]

tim roth was great in this movie. The first two were ok but i really dident like the misbehavors and i liked the one before it and QTs was the best.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Man from Hollywood segment. It was the best of the lot, hands down. Quentin’s acting was just fine with me because it feels like him. Plus his character is supposed to be DRUNK in the scene. I think he did fine. I loved it.

Four Rooms is a nice movie. Not super special awesome, but ok.