The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

The Name Beatrix Kiddo

I was just wonderin’ if anyone new why QT chose the name Beatirix for The Bride’s character, I mean, it’s not like it’s a common name.

Maybe it’s a reference to the Netherlands, like he does in all his movies. Our queen is called Beatrix.

Uma came up with the name Beatrix. QT came up with the name Kiddo.

Beatrix sounds like a real ‘mumsy’ name, don’t you think? It sounds really maternal, which reflects upon the character.

Kiddo just sounds cool.

uhm…maybe is too complicated but…

could it be a word game like BE - A - TRIX?ÂÂ

i mean…to highlight that the bride returns like a bloody trix for other divas squad?

or something concernig the line “trix are for kids”…

I know the correct way to write is TRICKS…but the sound is similar…

??? ::slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

No it is Trix. Its a breakfast cereal slogan.

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
No it is Trix. Its a breakfast cereal slogan.

[/quote]

Unfortunatly those commercials endded from the last one, where the rabbit kills all the children and finally gets the cereal. So brutal.

The suffix “-trix” is Latin for mother I think, that’s where things like matrix and dominatrix were derived from. And since motherhood is such an important part of the Beatrix kiddo character, it makes sense.

Fulci had a character named “Beatrice” in one of his movies…In the Vol. 2 ending credits he has Fulci’s name. The Bride emerging from the grave is also a Fulci refrence from the movie “Zombi” .

[quote=“RazorCharlie”]
The suffix “-trix” is Latin for mother I think, that’s where things like matrix and dominatrix were derived from. And since motherhood is such an important part of the Beatrix kiddo character, it makes sense.
[/quote]
The Latin word for mother is Mater…

[quote=“Lucio Fulci”]
Fulci had a character named “Beatrice” in one of his movies…
[/quote]

that is interesting. which one exactly is it?

Beatrice Cenci (1969) More drama than horror

I don’t think the name Beatrix is a reference to Fulci’s Beatrice Cenci.

Beatrice Cenci isn’t a fictional character, she was an Italian noblewoman. She famous for being protagonist of a lurid murder trial in Rome.

They said her ghost appears every year near Castel Sant’Angelo bridge.

little biography.

http://www.nndb.com/people/965/000104653/

I think it’s really good when Quentin bleeps out the name, and you think “what the hell kind of name that could be?” but when u know, you can really tell. Cause it’s not a name u hear often

[quote=“Japanese_Steel”]
I think it’s really good when Quentin bleeps out the name, and you think “what the hell kind of name that could be?” but when u know, you can really tell. Cause it’s not a name u hear often
[/quote]Hmm. I thought the interesting part was that we’d heard Bill calling her “Kiddo” all that time, and it turns out to be her last name.

[quote=“StanrickKubley”]
Hmm. I thought the interesting part was that we’d heard Bill calling her “Kiddo” all that time, and it turns out to be her last name.
[/quote]
The funny thing is that they’ve translated that on the swedish subs… to “baby” or something like that :stuck_out_tongue: hahaha

[quote=“thecrazy88”]
The funny thing is that they’ve translated that on the swedish subs… to “baby” or something like that :stuck_out_tongue: hahaha
[/quote]Haha. I’m a stupid American. I forget not everyone speaks English. :-[ :’(

[quote=“StanrickKubley”]
Haha. I’m a stupid American. I forget not everyone speaks English. :-[ :’(
[/quote]
Hah, don’t worry :stuck_out_tongue: It is really stupid that there is no English subs on my Kill Bill dvds… If I watch them in the car or on the train I need to have the subs cus I don’t hear everything :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see how the films could have the same impact with subs…the inflections of the dialogue is what makes these films seem so realistic…What is your opinion?

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
I don’t see how the films could have the same impact with subs…the inflections of the dialogue is what makes these films seem so realistic…What is your opinion?
[/quote]
I have sometimes troubles with hearing what David Carradine says… :stuck_out_tongue: That’s why I use the subs, if I had English I’d use them instead…