The Last Tango in Paris [Brando, Bertollucci]

I have to say, this is one of the best “arthouse” movies I’ve seen this year.

Extremly provoking movie, superb acting, and very courageous. Who has seen it?

It’s directed by Bertollucci (The Dreamers, co-writer of OUATITW) and it stars Marlon Brando.

I Love Last Tango In Paris. IMO, It’s Brando’s best performance. A Tender and Brutal Film to watch.

i taped the movie some time back, i didnt know i was watching a bertollucci film, now i know ive watched one . but to be honest i couldnt stand that movie. i know its inspired by francis bacon movies, and people who i concider as my guru’s love it, but it hardly had a plot, nore anything about it that really stands out to me. the problem is, i think that putting a frame around something from life to make it stand out is what making a movie is about.

I watched this late one night like a couple of years ago on television (when the commercial channels show all the arthouse films or the films they cant show before 9.30 like Repo Man). Great film!

ive only got this on vhs, should get the dvd soon, ive actually got it on vhs twice, once bought (english version) and once taped from italian tv, wich is dubbed, but annyway, Brando and Maria go together great, this and 1900 made made me a Bertolucci fan, not a fan, a geek, i saw all of his films in less than a month after watching 1900, and loved em all, hes a genius, another italian cinematic legend, one of the few ones left, and one of the few ones left that still makes quality films, i enjoyed The Dreamers sooo much, his films are so simple but move me so much

this is how i love brando the most, mr smooth romance, true classic, dunnu if i can call it a real “arthouse” film though, but in the end, it all comes down to taste, classic classic classic, cant say it enough

^i never knew i watched two bertolucci films, now i know.

when you mentioned 1900, two movies came to my head that were called that. one was with tim roth as an ship pianist who was born and grew up on the same ship and never dared to come out on land. i wished that would have been a bertollucci because i think even though the movie didnt turn out thaaat good it was a predestined to be a little classic. that movie was not bertolucci it was guiseppe tornatore.

the one you mean is the 1900 with robert de niro. i think allot of people would say its good because it was created by the famous bertollucci, but i really dont get too much from that movie either, i taped over it. bertollucci and tornatore both seem to work amazingly hard on there movies, but some how the result worries me. even thaugh the plot and lines are fantastic and extreemly imaginative it just does not come out very strong, but \ kind of light hearted. i guess we would just have to say what marlene dietrich said " nobady who makes a bad movie does it with the intention for it to become a bad movie".  i however see more promiss in tornatorre’s works in his 1900 than bertollucci’s. one amazing, infact one of the best movies i even have is “the magic of milena”. ive got it in my video collection, but i never touched the movie since i taped it because its so distourbing that it will stay with me for days. iguess however that the movie also turned out that good because there was a higher budget proberbly largly financed from america. but distourbing, powerful film, i still cant watch it, but can never never get rid of it either.

OK so I’ve watched parts of The Dreamers, I’ve DVR’d , watched bits and pieces of it so I can’t form an opinion yet; I’ll get back to you on that one.

Luckily you guys mentioned The Dreamers while discussing Bertolucci films, but my question was the following; do any of you know the name of the movies that are shown briefly with this movie? One clip has weird looking people sitting at a dinner table and the other scene they replicate while they run through the Louvre?

Thanks for the info if you have any. :o :o

[quote=“MANnInglewood”]
OK so I’ve watched parts of The Dreamers, I’ve DVR’d , watched bits and pieces of it so I can’t form an opinion yet; I’ll get back to you on that one.

[/quote]

I wonder which “bits and pieces” you decided to see. :wink:

Anyway, the Louvre scenes are taken from Godard’s “À bout de souffle”. I don’t remember the scene with the people at the dinner table, but imdb lists all the movie featured in the movie. It should be one of these:

The Cameraman (1928)

City Lights (1931)

Freaks (1932)

Scarface (1932)

Blonde Venus (1932)

Queen Christina (1933)

Top Hat (1935)

The Girl Can’t Help It (1956)

À bout de souffle (1960)

Shock Corridor (1963)

Bande àpart (1964)

Mouchette (1967)

Didn’t care for it the first time I saw it. But the more I watch it now, the more I love it.

Scarface, thanks!

I just remembered today that I had posted a question, it was a while back, shame on me for not frequenting the board. Everytime I come around a thread has like 100 responses, making my point pointless really, lol. BUT thanks again for the response and I’ll do a search on the film based on the titles you’ve posted.

:smiley:

BTW Judging by the title I think the movie will be “Freaks - (1932)”

i have this movie. I bought Last Tango in Paris, 1900, and The Dreamers from Bertolucci, and have yet to watch them, and really dont know if ill watch them anytime soon.