The Clint Eastwood Appreciation Thread

I don’t believe we have a thread dedicated to the legend that is Clint Eastwood. Not only a great actor, but one of the greatest directors working today. He starred in the first film I ever remember watching, a film which to this day is my 2nd greatest film of all time. My dad is a huge Eastwood fan, so I have grown up with Eastwood and for that reason I feel closer to him than many other actors/directors.

My top 5 films Eastwood has directed/starred in:

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  2. Unforgiven
  3. Mystic River
  4. For a Few Dollars More
  5. A Fistful of Dollars

Other worthy mentions:

The Outlaw Josey Wales, Million Dollar Baby, Escape From Alcatraz and Magnum Force.

I’m ashamed to say I haven’t yet watched his WWII companion piece epics (even though I have had them on DVD for a year). I look forward to watching Changeling and Grand Torino soon, too.

At 78, look how great he looks. Check out this video:

Part 1: <LINK_TEXT text=“- YouTube … annel_page”>- YouTube</LINK_TEXT>

Part 2: <LINK_TEXT text=“- YouTube … annel_page”>- YouTube</LINK_TEXT>

For me it goes;

1.Mystic River

2.The Good The Bad and The Ugly

3.Dirty Harry

4.Changeling

5.Million Dollar Baby.

As a filmmaker(of the aspiring variety) it’s easy to see why he’s so reverred. I recently watched a few of his films back to back, went from dead pool to Million Dollar Baby. It’s incredibly to think that a man can go from tough as nails actioner to poetic, sympathetic father figure. He’s got range, but I still don’t mind seeing him shoot a guy with a friggin magnum.

Yeah, to this day he just oozes “cool”.

So his next film will be an epic about Nelson Mandela with his old buddy Morgan Freeman, should be good.

Just a note about Mystic River - I have never in my life been so glued to the screen whilst watching a film. I was completely sucked into the story, every aspect of the film was incredible especially the direction and acting. That was the film that kind of kick started my interest in great storylines as well as kicking out my interest for action flicks. Mystic River was incredibly well made, it’s a masterpiece.

I have so many World War II related things to watch (Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Band of Brothers) and I want to watch them all before that film in August is released. So I will make sure to watch Flags by atleast Wednesday.

[quote=“Ify”]

I have so many World War II related things to watch (Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Band of Brothers) and I want to watch them all before that film in August is released. So I will make sure to watch Flags by atleast Wednesday.
[/quote]

lol I like that. Make sure you get yourself aquainted with the genre before going into IB. good idea

[quote=“Ify”]
At 78, look how great he looks. Check out this video:

Part 1: <LINK_TEXT text=“- YouTube … annel_page”>- YouTube</LINK_TEXT>

Part 2: <LINK_TEXT text=“- YouTube … annel_page”>- YouTube</LINK_TEXT>
[/quote]

Thanks for posting those Ify!

What a legend!

I have a picture of Clint on my wall, at all times. It’s a still from “FAFDM” But mah Gawd he looks cool! I also love all his cop movies as well as the westerns. Anything Eastwood. That’s what I say.

Yeah Gran Torino shows how badass he can still be. He’s the man, no question about it.

I think the fact that he’s a vegan might have something to do with how good he looks for his age.

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
Yeah Gran Torino shows how badass he can still be. He’s the man, no question about it.

I think the fact that he’s a vegan might have something to do with how good he looks for his age.
[/quote]

Sadly, I think the vegan thing is just a rumor. I’ve read quotes of him saying that he isn’t vegetarian because he sometimes eats fish, but that could still make him a borderline vegetarian ;D !

Also props to Clint for being intelligent enough to understand that eating fish IS NOT vegetarian, considering how many celebs (and people I know) claim to be veggie while chowing down on sushi.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.takepart.com/blog/2009/01/09 … egetarian/”>http://www.takepart.com/blog/2009/01/09/clint-eastwood-incredibly-awesome-but-not-a-vegetarian/</LINK_TEXT>

He does oppose hunting, which makes him even cooler in my books (but he’s pretty damn cool already, so it’s all just a bonus).

I think staying in good shape at such an age has a lot to do with always having pride in your self, physically. My grandfather was still chopping firewood and bailing hay when he was 85. He actually looked like Clint, very tall and a surprising amount of muscle for an old fella. My great uncle is 94 and he just built a section onto his house all by himself, including mixing and laying cement. These guys have always prided themselves on their abilities, and I would think Clint does too, or he should, because he’s amazing! :smiley:

Clint Eastwood is an absolute legend!! These are my faves -

Dirty Harry

Where Eagles Dare

Play Misty For Me

The Outlaw Josey Wales

A Fistful Of Dollars

The Eiger Sanction

The Rookie

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

In the Line Of Fire

Anyone else love The Eiger Sanction and The Rookie? I love em both! Hell, I even like City Heat!