The briefcase topic

just for the record: an Uzi is not a czech gun, it’s an isreali gun, just like the Desert Eagle.

but this is about the suitcase mystery. read the joblo ComiCon coverage again, QT answers a fanboy’s question about it

This is getting stupid. People can have their own opinions, that doesn’t bother me. What bothers me is when people over-analyze everything and treat a Quentin Tarantino movie like it was some stupid artsy David Lynch film. QT left us open to thought with the whole briefcase thing, but people have taken it too far with these bullshit “theories” about souls and fate, the same people who keep arguing about QT’s universes. If Pulp Fiction is in the realer-than-real universe, why the fuck would there be a briefcase with someones soul or fate in it?

Get mad at QT, hes the one that created the 2 movie universe idea. Both QT Universes are still Cinema Universes, so anything is possible pretty much in them. If you can jab a 6 inch IV needle in someones heart then there can be souls in suitcases.

My reasons for thinking its Marcellus’ soul:

1. Jules And Vincent are sent to retrieve the briefcase. They goto get it at Bretts apartment. Vincent opens the case by flipping the numbers 666 (The sign of the devil) on the lock. It opens. Vincent is mesmerized.

2. There is an urban legend that when the devil takes a soul he steals it from the back of the neck. Marcellus has a band aid on the back of his neck in the film. (Ving Rhames has a scar there, they say the band aid was put there to not detect the eye of the viewer, YEAH RIGHT).

3. In the diner, Pumpkin asks Jules whats in the case, Jules says “My bosses dirty laundry” that could be a way of saying its his inner being or soul.

4. Pumpkin opens it and exclaims “Thats the most beautiful thing Ive ever seen”. He could be looking at Marcellus’ inner light/soul in the case.

5. After Jules and Vincent deliver the cast to Marcellus, Jules quits being a gangster and walks the Earth and Vincent doesnt, and he ends up dead.

6. It all reverts back to part one where Jules and Vincent are retrieving the briefcase containing what I think is Marcellus’ soul. They were saving his soul, hence the bullets missing them completely (an Act of God). Jules believes it was divine intervention (a miracle from God in return for them helping get Marcellus’ soul back) and lives, Vincent doesnt and he dies at the hand of Butch.

SOUL or FATE, theyre both things that cant be contained by any cases in this world. Whatevers in that case is of a higher power and I believe its definitely a divine spirit. Its not diamonds or any gold coins.

why the fuck would Pumpkin think Marcellus’ soul it the most beautifull thing?

Marcellus is a crime boss…he blows off Zed’s fucking balls. It doesn’t make sense that Marcellus would have a good soul.

He’d have no soul at all.

so if Jules and Vincent go and retreave the soul you’d think Marcellus wouldn’t be so hard boiled to Zed…cause he would have his soul back. So that makes no sense.

Plus that Urban legend was probably made up by some internet fuck tard for the movie who thought he was a genius…then it kinda stuck

I didn’t mean to say that the breifcase actually contained fate or anything that resembled it. That’s the beauty of it. It’s the viewer’s own perception of what he/she has seen. The answer is simple. The reaction of the individual looking and the outcome of events that follow simply depict fate:

1 : the principle or determining cause or will by which things in general are believed to come to be as they are or events to happen as they do : DESTINY

2 a : an inevitable and often adverse outcome, condition, or end b : DISASTER; especially : DEATH

3 a : final outcome b : the expected result of normal development

If that sounds stupid then that’s ok.

Some people think it’s Butch’s prizefighter belt. :-/

[quote]

• Whenever the briefcase is opened, the person looking in it becomes transfixed or mesmerized by it. Vincent opens it, and then at the end of the film Pumpkin aka Ringo says “its the most beautiful thing Ive ever seen”. Whats more beautiful than a persons soul? [/quote]

That depends on if the person is a serial rapist.

[quote]

That depends on if the person is a serial rapist.[/quote]

Very valid point. i never thought of it like that. why would marcellus’s soul be beautiful if he’s so evil? And wouldn’t it be red?

it is probably… DEEZ NUTS!

1 Like

[quote]This is getting stupid.  People can have their own opinions, that doesn’t bother me.  What bothers me is when people over-analyze everything and treat a Quentin Tarantino movie like it was some stupid artsy David Lynch film.  QT left us open to thought with the whole briefcase thing, but people have taken it too far with these bullshit “theories” about souls and fate, the same people who keep arguing about QT’s universes.  If Pulp Fiction is in the realer-than-real universe, why the fuck would there be a briefcase with someones soul or fate in it?[/quote]

Gee, don’t you just hate it when people think about stuff? ::slight_smile:

QT did answer the briefcase question at comic-con. He said it was a one inch spot with a gold filter on it. He was joking, of course. Then he told us that it was whatever you think it is. So I guess we are all correct.

All I have to say is Ronin with Robert De Niro. They did the exact same thing. It makes you think. So all you people need to chill the fuck out about the damn briefcase!

well, newbies start this topic over and over again, so in order to let this be the only briefcase topic, i am moving it to the top.

Good idea.

I don’t know if this belongs on this post or anything, but has anyone ever noticed that most of Quentin’s movies are centered around a briefcase or package. NBK I don’t think has anything to do with a package/briefcase, but all of the others do in some way. Pulp Fiction is the only movie that we don’t actually know whats in the briefcase. Maybe if there is an answer, everyone has to re-evaluate the question. For Example, what do the briefcase/packages mean to other Tarantino characters. Not what they are, but what they actually mean. Freedom? Wealth?

Just a thought, It seems odd that so many of his films do have that element to them. I think though that QT has pretty much used all of the briefcase/package material for the time being. Remember that almost all of his works before Jackie Brown (the package wasn’t his doing, but maybe his choosing of the story had something to do with that element), were connected. They were probably either originated together, at some point was tried together, or reference eachother.

im like a year and 5 months late on this topic but wats with this Kyle dude comin in here dissin folks 4 havin diff opinions o and tvv i think that u could b on to somthin :wink:

I think Butch’s gold watch is in the briefcase.

[quote]I think Butch’s gold watch is in the briefcase.[/quote]

That's impossible.

It’s really hard to know what’s in the black suite case it’s a big mystery but the black suite case is a great story line and so is the rest of “Pulp Fiction� and of course it’s one hell of a super cool movie 8).

Hi everyone my name is Super_Cool 8) I’m new to the Quentin Tarantino Fan Club I joined on Saturday this web site is really great :slight_smile:. I’m a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino I admire his work and skills :slight_smile:.

Welcome! I also see were from the same city too!

Marcellus being a bad ass motherfucker only makes the soul thing more believable…cuz…he has no soul, cuz its in the briefcase…so thats why he’s such a bad MF!

His soul could still be as beautiful as all other souls, cause I dont think that you can see a persons character when looking at his soul…but I never have seen a soul…lol…and dont know what movie standards are for what defines a soul…

I like the soul and fate thing both…

somebody here who has a religious background (or knows someone with a religieus background) who could tell more about this???