The b&w scenes

how comes that some scenes in kill bill has to be showed in black and white while a movie like the passion of the christ seems to have no problem with the censorship?

[quote]how comes that some scenes in kill bill has to be showed in black and white while a movie like the passion of the christ seems to have no problem with the censorship?[/quote]

1. its a different kind of violence. in the passion the violence is more disgusting, has more of a shock experience, is more real, whereas in kill bill its over-the-top, funny and cartoonish.

that might have a bad effect on kids, so they tone it down to get the R-rating, wheras the passion doesnt need that, the censors agree that the blood is okay with an r-rating because they WANT young people to see this. this is similar to saving private ryan, which is an anti-war film where violence is necessary or at least, wanted.

2. making a kung fu chop socky flick and making a film about jesus are two different things, two different ways of rating-method

It’s a shame that so much people seem to hate b/w. They may think it’s cheap and ancient. IT IS NOT! It’s beautiful and it’s artistry. They just aren’t used to watch that, I think. This is not about missing color, it’s another form or quality of film with different lighting. I have to say: Get used to! Watch more b/w movies! You’ll see!

BTW: I don’t think Kill Bill isn’t less gory just of the blood isn’t red.

[quote]It’s a shame that so much people seem to hate b/w. They may think it’s cheap and ancient. IT IS NOT! It’s beautiful and it’s artistry. They just aren’t used to watch that, I think. This is not about missing color, it’s another form or quality of film with different lighting. I have to say: Get used to! Watch more b/w movies! You’ll see!

BTW: I don’t think Kill Bill isn’t less gory just of the blood isn’t red.[/quote]

I like black and white...it's very artistic...I love noir films.

[quote]It’s a shame that so much people seem to hate b/w. They may think it’s cheap and ancient. IT IS NOT! It’s beautiful and it’s artistry. They just aren’t used to watch that, I think. This is not about missing color, it’s another form or quality of film with different lighting. I have to say: Get used to! Watch more b/w movies! You’ll see!

BTW: I don’t think Kill Bill isn’t less gory just of the blood isn’t red.[/quote]

I totally agree. I will never love the Japanese version. I love the idea of black and white, and as far as I know, it was in the script, it was meant to be black and white, and it looks awesome.
black and white is awesome, because youre eyes arent distracted by colors, you can conctrated on the action and content and characters

[quote]

I totally agree. I will never love the Japanese version. I love the idea of black and white, and as far as I know, it was in the script, it was meant to be black and white, and it looks awesome.

black and white is awesome, because youre eyes arent distracted by colors, you can conctrated on the action and content and characters[/quote]

I think that's why most noir films are in black and white...so you'll pay more attention to the characters.

i don’t hate it, the b&w scenes didn’t bother me.

i just think it’s kind of weird :-*

Some of my favourite films ever are in black and white and i personally think that Hitchcocks Psycho is the best horror film of all time and thats black and white.

[quote]i don’t hate it, the b&w scenes didn’t bother me.

i just think it’s kind of weird  :-*
[/quote]

yeah, it is kinda weird, but it's artsy and cool.

I didn’t care if the Crazy 88 scene was black and white, but what irritated me was that everything was decolorized instead of actually being in black and white, which made it harder to see everything.

The black-and-white helped make the HoBL battle seem like a beautiful blood-soaked dance rather than a brutal kill-crazy rampage.

The problem is the lighting. It was shot in color. For b/w you need a whole different lighting with a lot more contrast, 'cos b/w is just contrast. So it could have been better, if they shot it as b/w scene instead just distracting the color afterwards.

[quote]The problem is the lighting. It was shot in color. For b/w you need a whole different lighting with a lot more contrast, 'cos b/w is just contrast. So it could have been better, if they shot it as b/w scene instead just distracting the color afterwards.[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts.

I disagree with the fact that HOBL scene is better in b&w. When I first saw it in cinemas, I thought that I was deprived of sth essential to make the scene perfect. I would really like to see it in colour. To tell you the truth, the HOBL scene dissapointed me. I expected it to be a really kick-ass fight but the lack of colour spoiled it for me. And the lack of some really good music accompanying it. But I have to admit that the moment where the Bride is on the floor, spinning round and round cutting the poor fellas’ legs and “Nobody but me” heard on the soundtrack was brilliant!!!

I couldn’t help but to crack a smile at that point in the HOBL scene. But the way the music changes when after she’s rolling around on the floor she goes up those stairs and walks backwards holding her sword to the other crazy 88’s, who are walking towards her in slow motion is a brilliant touch.

The whole scene is beautifully shot. Richardson is a kick-ass photographer. I would also like to see the colored scene to compare.

[quote]The whole scene is beautifully shot. Richardson is a kick-ass photographer. I would also like to see the colored scene to compare.[/quote]

Richardson is one of my favorite cinematographers behind the late, great Conrad L. Hall and Roger Deakens.

[quote]I And the lack of some really good music accompanying it. [/quote]

Nobody But Me is the greatest garage-rock song of all time. Is that not good enough for you?

[quote]

Nobody But Me is the greatest garage-rock song of all time.  Is that not good enough for you?[/quote]

She said she liked that part. I think she meant that she didn’t like the fact that there wasn’t music for most of the Bride vs. Crazy 88 scene. I would have liked it if QT had used more songs during the fight also.

I liked the silence a lot more than I would have liked some Lars Ulrich-helmed metal bullshit. I probably would have despised the Crazy 88 fight if they used that.