THE AVIATOR: Who Made Our Greatest Living Director Mediocre: Harvey or Leo?

The Aviator (2004) -PG-13-

Directed by: Martin Scorsese

Written by: John Logan

Starring: Leonard DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale, John C. Reilly, Alec Baldwin, Alan Alda, Ian Holm, Gwen Stefani, Jude Law, William Dafoe, Kelly Garner, Adam Scott

December 13, 2004

Who Made Our Greatest Living American Director Mediocre: Harvey or Leo?

Martin Scorsese is considered by most, including myself, as the greatest living American director. He’s an auteur who came out of the last golden age of films, the 1970’s. Scorsese directs with a passion and love of film. You can see it in the style, in the music, and in the characters in his films.

Disney, the parent company of both Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films, has produced Scorsese’s last four feature films, beginning with Kundun. Kundun was a deeply personal film for Scorsese which dealt with religion and told the story of Tibet’s 14th Dalai Lama. This was his last great film in my opinion.

He went on to adapt Joe Connelly’s novel, Bringing Out the Dead; the story of 48 hours in the life of a burnt out paramedic. Dead was a character study that showed many signs of Scorsese’s brilliant techniques, but was lacking in story. Both of these films were for Disney’s Touchstone division.

After that, Harvey and Bob Weinstein, the brothers that owned (before they sold out to Disney) and run Miramax, decided to produce Scorsese’s longtime pet project Gangs of New Yorkâ€â€

Well he was kicking ass until he made bringing out the dead. Kundun is my third favorite scorsese film. Hopefully the Aviator doesn’t suck.

I thought Bringing out the Dead was a really really good movie. Nicholas Cage was right for the part i thought. Gangs of New York sucked. I had to turn it off. And i have a feeling that the Aviator is going to suck as well.

I enjoyed ‘Gangs Of New York’ but it certainly wasn’t Scorsese’s best. I think the Aviator has redeemed him…

jezus christ, why does everybody keep bitching about Bringing Out The Dead, get fuckin over it, the movie was great, it was no match compared to taxi driver or raging bull or even goodfellas but it was a great fucking movie, you cant stand there and say it sucked because it simply didnt, you can say you didnt like it, thats fine, because i didnt like cape fear but it was still a good movie, i just didnt like it … at all

annywayz, theres nothing marty can do to take away his title of one of the best ever, he cant

The Aviator is (just like Gangs of New York) a “Big Budget Masterpiece”, theres no other way to explain it, 90% of people use a big budget wrong, they put too much in a movie, they start messing around with CGI, "ok everybody, thats a wrap for today, we’ll do the rest in CGI"

youre just using your big budget to pay for your lazyness, annyways

The Aviator: 8.5/10

Alec Baldwin was the man, Leo was the man, Cate Blanchett was great … BRAVO!

Bringing Out The Dead Sucked. You are the one who needs to get over it. Its another one of those films that after watching it you feel like you watched a whole big piece of nothingness. I enjoyed Gangs of New York more because it at least had great cinematic moments and historical depth, even if I don’t think its very good on the whole.

And just because film critics think a movie is a masterpiece doesn’t make it so. For example you can look at the cover of Gosford Park and see plenty of great reviews, but when you are bored to tears watching it you can hardly call it a “Great” film. I’m sure we’ve all rented a movie because it got two thumbs up or what not only to find a steamy pile of crap.

[quote=“Fidelio1st”]

The Aviator (2004) -PG-13-

Directed by: Martin Scorsese

Written by: John Logan

Starring: Leonard DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale, John C. Reilly, Alec Baldwin, Alan Alda, Ian Holm, Gwen Stefani, Jude Law, William Dafoe, Kelly Garner, Adam Scott

December 13, 2004

Who Made Our Greatest Living American Director Mediocre: Harvey or Leo?

Martin Scorsese is considered by most, including myself, as the greatest living American director. He’s an auteur who came out of the last golden age of films, the 1970’s. Scorsese directs with a passion and love of film. You can see it in the style, in the music, and in the characters in his films.

Disney, the parent company of both Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films, has produced Scorsese’s last four feature films, beginning with Kundun. Kundun was a deeply personal film for Scorsese which dealt with religion and told the story of Tibet’s 14th Dalai Lama. This was his last great film in my opinion.

He went on to adapt Joe Connelly’s novel, Bringing Out the Dead; the story of 48 hours in the life of a burnt out paramedic. Dead was a character study that showed many signs of Scorsese’s brilliant techniques, but was lacking in story. Both of these films were for Disney’s Touchstone division.

After that, Harvey and Bob Weinstein, the brothers that owned (before they sold out to Disney) and run Miramax, decided to produce Scorsese’s longtime pet project Gangs of New Yorkâ€â€

I thought it was a pretty average film. I really hated how it ended just like Raging Bull.

So you think the ending in Raging Bull sucks?

I don’t know if I would go so far as to say that he is “the greatest living director”. There are scores of greats that are still alive - one of which gets zero in the accolades department: Clint Eastwood.