Surviving as a film-director

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
Remember us when you hit it big in Hollywood!! 8)N
[/quote]He’s no David Lynch

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
If you really want to make movies, save your money, get a camera and start making some. But the chances of you being the next Tarantino are pretty damn slim. I mean, unless your some film genius that has the golden key, dont quit your day job. Also, how many popular directors actually work steadily these days? You can count them on two hands. Ç
[/quote]

Yeah, just remember(and I try to stress this to the rest of my crew):

No camera, no movie!

The most important thing you can have is a camera. If you don’t have a camera, you can forget about making a movie. So if you don’t have one, start saving!!

(chomps cigar)

GOTTA HAVE THE CAMERA!! You cant make the damn movie if ya dont have THE CAMERA!!..

ACTORS! YOU GOTTA HAVE ACTORS TO BE IN THE MOVIE!!..

YA NEED TO PRESS RECORD ON THE CAMERA! NO RED LIGHT! NO MOOOVIE!!..

…LIGHT! YA NEED SOME LIGHT TO SEEEE THE DAMN ACTORS!!

(chomps cigar) Good Luck Kid, I know you’re gonna make a million on this picccha, myeahhhhh a million little smackeroos!!O

I read that rodriguez book its interesting but if your looking about how to make a movie i wouldent read that its interesting and takes you through the process but its not detailed enough on how to operate cetian things i would advise reading that then getting a book on how to operate film camera exc.

Reading film books ARE a good start…

post on forums that are about filmaking, i learned a bit from doing that

Number one thing though is start practicieing makin movies now it doesent matter if the only actor you got is your self buy a tripod then and make a movie it doesent matter what type of camera either anything you can get you hands on.

Here ya go: Watch My Best Friends Birthday! I think doing this is great start for a film director.

sweet thanks for information, also i’ve seen my best friends birthday lol but thanks for info i should by some filmmaking books cause i dont got any.

Also i have made movies before i’m involved with my video class at my school. but i still needed help with information.

Just read Robert Rodriguez Book " Rebel Without A Crew".

It made me gonna shoot my own film

The Guerilla Film Maker’s Handbook is pretty neat as well. And though I don’t REALLY agree with the idea of script writing guides - the Definitive Guide to Screenwriting, by the LEGEND Syd Field, is worth a look.

Anyway, in answer to your question Tarantino101- from what I’ve gathered there IS no set road to sucess. Personally I’d just have a laugh making films- enjoy it, live the dream and all that- and if success comes, well it comes. But that’s not really all that important at this stage.

Just have fun- thats what movies are all about right? :wink:

Ive been making films since 2005, pretty much all I did was save up for a few years for

a good enough camera, then I shot a few films (well a few is an understatement).

You can check some of my stuff here:

http://www.gorecartoons.co.uk

I wouldnt say its a hard business to get into, just a nasty one as most the film people in my area are qualified and they dont take kindly to upstarts who know nothing (who then go onto better what they have done in the past).

Ive made two features, the most pro costing only 75 quid (something daft like 100 dollars).<br/>

Just go for it, lifes short to hold back these days!