The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Surviving as a film-director

Hey I have an important question, how to you survive in the film idustry. Its one of the hardest business around and i dont know if this is true but my friend told me that to make it big and try to get some success in the movie business is you gonna have to pay thousands and thousands of dollars like 7 to 10 grand and thats the only way to survive is using all of that money. But is that true, now i know films are expensive but is that the only way to get one of your films bought and then going on to succed as a filmmaker cause or does the price not matter? Cause if the only way to get one of your movies big is by spending money of a film camera and then spending 7 or 10 grand then that really sucks and is really hard. Cause i hope price really doesnt matter i hope you can make a very very very cheap movie but have it still be good enough to get it bought. So which one of those are true do you HAVE to spend thousands of dollars like 7 to 10 grand to make yourself successful and make one of your movies successful or does price not matter just having a well made entertaining movie is the way to get big, like not using a huge film camera, like spending only a few hundred dollars and using a Digital Camera. Cause i REALLY REALLY want to be a filmmaker and i know the business is hard but i cant just spend 1000s and 1000s of dollars my whole life just to do this. Any information is helpful cause i’m graduating next year and i got to pick a collage, and i dont tend on being a VERY FAMOUS CELEBERTY like quentin tarantino but just having success and surviving in the world with this job. So does money not matter or can you make a very cheap movie with a digital camera a GOOD digital camera and still have a shot at making it or do you HAVE to spend 1000s of dollars ranging around 7 to 10 grand, any information is helpful i really want to know.

bump…can anyone help me with this question i will be very apprieciated.

Yeah, the way to make it…

really, just send money to my account!

1. You dont need talent
  2. You dont need connections
  3. You dont need to be special
  4. You dont need to be intelligent or have a high sensitivity
  5. You dont need luck
  6. There is no 7.
  7. Fuck this topic…really.

bump… again any help

dude…

Serieusly…just buy a cheap ass camera and have fun!! Make what you want and feel like!

Write…think, breath movies and make stuff you think about…add some style :wink:

Grow in doing this and you will notice if you are good enough yourself…

[quote=“Seth_Gecko”]
Yeah, the way to make it…

really, just send money to my account!

1. You dont need talent
  2. You dont need connections
  3. You dont need to be special
  4. You dont need to be intelligent or have a high sensitivity
  5. You dont need luck
  6. There is no 7.
  7. Fuck this topic…really.
    [/quote]um wow okay your cool just asking a simple question on how it works some people arent fuck rich spoiled ass mother fuckers okay they cant afford shit like this, all i was wondering was if you can survive without paying 10 grand for a fucking movie, like kevin smith did with clerks and RR did with el mariachi, okay jesus fucking christ.

RR spend like 8000 and smith 25000 or something :wink:

okay sorry for the post above we seem to be both typing eachother comments at the same time, i guess i’ll take that advice…

fuck were commenting both at the same exact time this is so wierd lol :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

Thats ok :wink:

Just have fun making stuff! See if you really like making movies…its not all that its cracked up to be :wink:

And maybe apply for filmschool if you feel like it!

Having money has nothing to do with it…just find out if you like and/ are good at making movies!

you gotta make the movie first of all too long of a process to list the entire guide rite here after you make it you edit it after editing you decide what you want to do u buy the rites then you can shop it around by having meetings or you can send it to companys both ways you are trying to have some one to buy it after that and you get paid for it. (yes not very detailed but an overview)

Best advice:

GRAB a fucking camera…start shooting! See if you like it! Write stories…and grab a FUCKING camera…

there is no receipt for being famous or succesfull…just grab a camera and see if you are good at it or like doing it…

thats it.

[quote=“Seth_Gecko”]
Best advice:

GRAB a fucking camera…start shooting! See if you like it! Write stories…and grab a FUCKING camera…

there is no receipt for being famous or succesfull…just grab a camera and see if you are good at it or like doing it…

thats it.
[/quote]

Listen to this fuckin man its the truth!

And if you want to hear it from a pro in a real cool and funny book. Read: Rebel Without A Crew Or How A 23 year old filmmaker with 7000 dollar became a Hollywood player.

Probably best just to start with short films. You know, to gain a little experience. THEN jump to an actual project.

…i think that’s where i made my mistake…:frowning:

If you really want to make movies, save your money, get a camera and start making some. But the chances of you being the next Tarantino are pretty damn slim. I mean, unless your some film genius that has the golden key, dont quit your day job. Also, how many popular directors actually work steadily these days? You can count them on two hands. Ç

Actually the golden key that tarantino has is he mimics other movies that our his favorites and makes them more presentable for an audience of our age (not to mention he is probably the best dialogue writer of all time)

[quote=“ThaDuke”]
Probably best just to start with short films. You know, to gain a little experience. THEN jump to an actual project.

[/quote]

Yeah, you’re right. Short films then big films.

thanks guys for all your help, it really made me understand i really appreciate all the info and it makes me want to go out and make a movie right now infact thats what i’m gonna do all by my fucking self lol gotta go now chao!

Remember us when you hit it big in Hollywood!! 8)N