"Rosebud"

In my recent readings on Joseph Mankiewicz, I discovered the motive behind his elder brother’s use of the word “Rosebud” from Citizen Kane. I will simply post this statement as I read it from the book. I was enchanted to see where this word came from. Here is what J.L. said about the daunting experince of his brother, Herman.

Joe Mankiewicz: "It happened when he was growing up in Wilkes-Barre. Herman had always wanted a bycicle, and one Christmas he got one with ‘ROSEBUD’ printed on the frame and two days later it was stolen. Toward the end of his life, when he was drinking heavily, he’d often mumble ‘Rosebud’. He never got over it."

Wow. I never thought I would find that out in a million years! :o

Interesting fund. But you didn’t precise if Orson Welles knew the story. Cause it sounds obvious now but I’ve never read it anywhere before.

Ive heard so many cunts talk about Citizen Kane being the greatest movie of all time. Finally this week I will be able to give my opinion.

Let us know then what you think of it, cause if you are as much critical as with IB, you won’t be one of those people loving it so much. Have you seen any other Welles ?

[quote=“cyber-lili”]Let us know then what you think of it, cause if you are as much critical as with IB, you won’t be one of those people loving it so much. Have you seen any other Welles ?[/quote]

Ill post my review in the Track Your Films topic which will probably be this saturday. Nah I havent seen any of Orson Welles other work so I dont know what to expect in Citizen Kane.

Oh yeah, I see. Then you might be blown away by his technics. But if you like it, check out other flicks he’s done like Touch of Evil, The Lady from Shanghai before even claiming Citizen Kane is the best flick ever.

Orson Welles had a great capacity for storytelling, all the transitions in Kane are phenomenal, and let’s not forget he brought Joseph Cotton and Agnes Moorehead from the Mercury theatre, this guy opened the dimensions of film like no other director with Kane - it was decades ahead of it’s time.

I also liked The Magnificent Ambersons, the story was cut up however, it should have been better. Anne Baxter was great in it too.