Question

Hi everybody :slight_smile:

I have a small question regarding the part of the movie where The Bride wakes up from her coma, and says “four years” (if I recall correctly).

The question is…how did she know that? She had been in a coma, after all. There’s also an intriguing shot of the palm of her hand. That may be some sort of hint, but I’m definitely not getting it.

Thanks for your time.

It wouldn’t be hard to figure out what year it was. I’m sure they’re calenders in the hospistol. Then she just puts 2 and 2 together: “Hmm, I got shot in 1999, and I woke up in 2003.” Don’t forget this story isn’t taking place in real time, she’s narrorating it, after all this shit has happend.

she looked at her palms “lifeline” and figured it out. probably impossible to do in real life, but kill bill doesnt take place in real life :slight_smile:

What are you talking about, she was looking at her palms when she was swearing revenge.  It was sort’ve when she swore revenge for all the shit they’ve done to her.  That’s why she squeezed them. ÂÂ

Haha, no, the Bride was using a special palm reading technique that allows herself to estimate exactly how old she is. This is used in Asian movies all the time. It’s loosely based on that one thing we did as little kids, on how long the wrinkles on your palm were determined good luck or whatever.

^^ I sincerely doubt that. If that’s the case, it just lowered my appreciation for Kill Bill just a notch. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]What are you talking about, she was looking at her palms when she was swearing revenge.  It was sort’ve “I will kill you all with my bare hands” sort of thing.  That’s why she squeezed them.  I really hope you were joking, if not you really aren’t able to comprehend movies, and metaphores.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that it says in the script that she read the lines on her palm. Whatever, it dosen't bother me at all.

[quote]

I’m pretty sure that it says in the script that she read the lines on her palm. Whatever, it dosen’t bother me at all.[/quote]

really? i didnt even read the script. i guess my movie comprehension isnt so shitty after all ::)

Remember that’s the early draft of the script. She doesn’t exactly count the lines in the movie and say to her self “five years”. If she would’ve said 5 years, it would’ve indicated something with the palm of her hands and the lines, but it doesn’t. QT I think changed it, to have a different meaning, that’s why he left it out.

OK, so an EXTREME CU of her palms and her looking straight into her palms, murmuring “…four years…” is not somehow an obvious indication she was reading her palms?

[quote]Haha, no, the Bride was using a special palm reading technique that allows herself to estimate exactly how old she is.  This is used in Asian movies all the time.  It’s loosely based on that one thing we did as little kids, on how long the wrinkles on your palm were determined good luck or whatever.[/quote]

ditto

…i didnt think it referred to anything else…

[quote]Remember that’s the early draft of the script.  She doesn’t exactly count the lines in the movie and say to her self “five years”.  If she would’ve said 5 years, it would’ve indicated something with the palm of her hands and the lines, but it doesn’t.  QT I think changed it, to have a different meaning, that’s why he left it out.[/quote]
It’s a point of view shot. She’s looking up her lifeline, and then, IMMIDIATELY AFTER, she says “Four years”. It’s also in the script.

[quote]Haha, no, the Bride was using a special palm reading technique that allows herself to estimate exactly how old she is.  This is used in Asian movies all the time.  It’s loosely based on that one thing we did as little kids, on how long the wrinkles on your palm were determined good luck or whatever.[/quote]

He’s right. She read her palms to see how many years have passed. It’s kind of like reading the wood rings inside a tree.

Bleh, you guys are right, I was wrong.  I didn’t notice her say “four years”.  I really didn’t catch what she said until you mentioned it and I watched it again.  I still don’t like the idea that she read her PALMS to find out how long she was in a coma, even though it doesn’t change how I feel about a great movie. My apologies.

Here’s another question. I tried to figuere out here on the board but haven’t found real answers.

So, are there any real references about the fact that Bill has killed the father of O-Ren?

Or are all speculations coming from the anime scene in “Kill Bill”?

Thanks for help…

[quote]^^ I sincerely doubt that.  If that’s the case, it just lowered my appreciation for Kill Bill just a notch.  :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

Why? and it is the case. There wouldn’t be a close zoom in of the lines on her palms for no reason.

well there was a discussion about wether or not that was bill in the anime sequence thread. It really can go either way. Im leaning more towards that is a different character altogether called “Pretty Riki” the only other voice actor credit

[quote]Why? and it is the case. There wouldn’t be a close zoom in of the lines on her palms for no reason. [/quote]

You obviously missed my post claiming that I was indeed wrong, next time read all the posts, thanks. I just don’t like the idea that she can tell how long she’s been in a coma by reading the lines in her hands, just seems cheesy to me, not a big deal though. Still my second favorite QT film.