Question regarding KB Vol2

Had no luck regarding this question on killbill2.net yet so I thought I ask here as I know there’s a lot of experts here (even though I consider myself one re KB, but there u go ;D )

What is so funny about the scene when they are in the church and Rev Harmony says the groom has far too many people coming, and then the friend says, yeah, they’re coming all the way from Oklahoma.

The Bride and Tommy and all the friends laugh hardly, why?

Is that an American joke? Something to do with Oklahoma? Would be nice if someone could shed some light on that joke.

Thanks in advance!

Well they’re in Texas, which is right near Oklahoma. It’s not like she had people coming from all the way from Japan.

Basically implying that that’s about as exotic as this bunch gets - one or two states over. Where are you from?

Let’s say you’re Canadian - it would be like someone in Nova Scotia saying “They’re comin’ all the way from Newfoundland” or if you’re English, you live in London, “They’re comin all the way from Burmingham”. Gotchya?

It was a stupid joke anyway.

ah, thanks a lot guys, get it now :wink:

I live in London btw. Have to agree w Il_Buono, then, bit of a lame joke then, lol.

I don’t think it was really supposed to be funny to the audience.

That ‘joke’ just added to how lame Beatrix’ friends were, i’m sorry i just really despise them even though they don’t have much screen time!

[quote]That ‘joke’ just added to how lame Beatrix’ friends were, i’m sorry i just really despise them even though they don’t have much screen time![/quote]

Ifys idae sounds cool!
I had the same problem to understand the joke like Mata had... But with this Texas - Oklahoma knowledge, Ifys idea explains it perfectly, I think. They are...hm.. average people with an average humor and prolly that was the best joke they can do... So this "lame joke" make more sense to me.

[quote]That ‘joke’ just added to how lame Beatrix’ friends were, i’m sorry i just really despise them even though they don’t have much screen time![/quote]

Precisely, that, very lame excuse of a joke, is meant to show the absurdity of the life Beatrix was trying to grow into compared to her “former life”. The joke doesn’t fit in the story and thus only confirms what Bill says to Beatrix while she is drugged in the hacienda. He asks her wether she truly thinks if she was gonna be happy in her new life.

It’s just supposed to be an example of how blissfully dull and normal she’s trying to be. Surrounding herself with “hicks”, living in the sticks, working at a record store, getting married in a tiny chapel. She’s trying to morph into this different person, like Bill said with the Superman monologue.

So, like with showing us just what kind of crap Budd’s living in, it’s a forcing point. It’s a way of beating it in our heads: this is the life she wants. Simple, dumb and boring.

I think the whole point of that scene is really driven home later with:

That’s you trying to describe yourself as a worker bee. That’s you trying to blend in with the hive… But you’re not a worker bee… You’re a renagade killer bee.

hi, everyone, btw. I’m new.

Amen to that.

I agree with those who say that it wasn’t really supposed to be funny to the audience - it’s more of an inside joke to show that beatrix has been accepted to the group of people there and they’ve grown close enough to joke about stuff together.

Well it’s because Texans hate Oklahoma. Look it up