Question about the 'vibrating sword'

Okay, I hope you’re not gonna slay me over this one, not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but I didn’t quite get the scene with the ‘vibrating sword’. I posted this on killbill2.net too, but didn’t get an answer yet. What is this about? It’s the scene in the HOTBL, where Uma kills the very first 3 Crazy 88 that storm down the stairs to fight her. She slashes all three of them, the third one has her Hanzo sword in his body and she hits it with her fist and all three fall down. Why didn’t the first 2 fall when she struck them with the sword? Why do they all 3 fall together when she hits the sword. I guess it’s some kind of gag, but in what contense? Any clearing up on this would be appreciated :-[

Nothing really. It was done because it would be BADASS!!!

Good question. I don’t think there’s a logical reason. But I’ve seen the same thing done in anime movies when the swordsman’s opponents fall together like blocks of dominoes. I remember that bad-ass samurai from Lupin who did this the whole time. 8) And since Kill Bill is a live-action anime movie, it would explain everything.

Because Uma has MAD SKILLZ! :smiley: And also, what Scarface just said…

It’s been in plenty of spaghetti Westerns too, where the main character would fire three shots, take a puff of his cigar, and when he tosses it to the ground all three of the guys would collapse.

It’s just badass.

[quote]Okay, I hope you’re not gonna slay me over this one, not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but I didn’t quite get the scene with the ‘vibrating sword’. I posted this on killbill2.net too, but didn’t get an answer yet. What is this about? It’s the scene in the HOTBL, where Uma kills the very first 3 Crazy 88 that storm down the stairs to fight her. She slashes all three of them, the third one has her Hanzo sword in his body and she hits it with her fist and all three fall down. Why didn’t the first 2 fall when she struck them with the sword? Why do they all 3 fall together when she hits the sword. I guess it’s some kind of gag, but in what contense? Any clearing up on this would be appreciated  :-[[/quote]

Cuz she is so fucking fast and her sword is so fucking sharp, that it takes some times for the bodys to “realize” that they are dead… :wink:

The way QT made it, is a joke to this fact, who fast she is.

It’s a “Comedic timing” type thing…

its a throwback to classic samurai movies

Shogunn Assassin sheaths his sword as three people fall insnyc

ZatoIchi does it too

just a reference to that

Hm! I just learnt something at my computer workshop today that might add to the theories presented here (the one that I really support is the ‘homage to anime’ one).

It’s called ‘anticipation’ and you see this in all cartoons. I think that it’s one of the basics of animation. Let’s say that Road Runner is going from static to running motion. He doesn’t just lunge forward. He sorts of springs back a bit before running off, to make it seem more natural. Another example would be the robot dance. Watch someone do the robot successfully and someone who can’t. You’ll sort of see what I mean.

So this ‘vibrating sword’ thingy is in a way, a very long (or slow motion) anticipation of what’s going to happen. You know that she sliced them mincemeat and that they’re going to fall, but don’t… although they do, eventually. It’s mostly to keep you at the edge of your seats. “Are they alive? Why don’t they fall? But the bride slashed 'em! Oops, there they go!”