QT comments on Kill Bill's Oscar snub

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Tarantino fears Oscar film snub

It’s a short article, and it’s written before it was clear that Volume 2 didn’t recieve any nominations either, but I thought it was interesting to see QT comment on the Oscars for once. We know how much he loves Cannes, having won the top Prize and being elected president, but he never mentions his Oscar. I think it’s nice that he’s honest and don’t do the usual “don’t need Oscar”-stuff. Sure, no one needs Oscar, and it really doesn’t do anything, but at least it means the film is ecknowledged (sp?). The question is, how will Inglorious Bastards do at the Oscars?

And don’t turn this into an “Oscar sucks”-thread please. I know how many of you hates the Oscars, and I’m not the most supportive player myself, but you know, let’s try to keep it down.

And I thought it was weird that Kill Bill didn’t recieve any nominations, especially for the visual categories. The film looks damn good.

His next project, titled Inglorious Bastards, is a World War II epic, due for release in 2006.

I’m still afraid he’s not going to do it :frowning:

I dont hate the Oscars but I dont like certain movies or judge them based on how the Academy feels about them. I hope QT keeps making movies I enjoy watching. If he never gets another Oscar, thats not gonna change my interest in his work.

Does anyone actually think artists like QT are motivated by awards? It has NOTHING to do with that. Its about his love of writing/film/storytelling. Not his love of awards. If he makes a film that he thinks is worthy of an Oscar, thats great. But he doesnt make movies just for that purpose.

Eastern: Why are you afraid hes not going to do it? Hes been telling everyone its his next film and that hes getting it ready. I think for QT to move on in his career, hes got to do it. Otherwise hes going to just lose his credibility.

There’s many movies that won various Oscars but most of them are lame. QT’s movies are really daring and outrageous (in a good way) and that’s why he hasn’t won an Academy Award yet. Of course it doesn’t change my opinion on him or his work.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Eastern: Why are you afraid hes not going to do it? Hes been telling everyone its his next film and that hes getting it ready. I think for QT to move on in his career, hes got to do it. Otherwise hes going to just lose his credibility.
[/quote]
I know that but I’ve got a bad feeling about it. He sais IB is gonna be his next movie but he doesn’t know what actors are going to be in it and he hasn’t finished the script yet.

I remember watching a video of him at the Oscars for Pulp Fiction, and he looked very happy being there. Winning an Oscar is a huge thing, for a filmmaker anyway, if you look at someone like Marty Scorsese it took him an entire life time to get one. And I’m just saying it’s always a special thing when a filmmaker wins and Oscar. And to say that QT dosen’t care is stupid, I mean he makes movies because he just loves doing it, and it’s a huge part of who he is. But if you ask me I think Vol.II deserved at least a few Academy Award nominations, it was 10x better than that fag cowboy movie. Some of the time and very rarely do true great films receive the proper respect that it deserves, like Godfather, Platoon, and many more. Oh, except for Shawshank Redemption, I can’t beleive Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins were left out in the cold while Tom fucking Hanks walked away with a gay Oscar.

[quote=“Eastern Beauty”]
There’s many movies that won various Oscars but most of them are lame. QT’s movies are really daring and outrageous and that’s why he hasn’t won an Academy Award yet. Of course it doesn’t change my opinion on him or his work.[/quote]

He won an Oscar for Pulp Fictions screenplay. Not bad for his second film.

[quote=“Eastern Beauty”]I know that but I’ve got a bad feeling about it. He sais IB is gonna be his next movie but he doesn’t know what actors are going to be in it and he hasn’t finished the script yet.
[/quote]

Usually when you make films, you finish up the script (IBs is much longer than his previous films), then you hold casting sessions (QT said he didnt write most of the characters for specific people like hes done previously), then you cast the actors who are best in the roles. Then you go from there. IB is going to be QTs biggest production, surpassing Kill Bill. So, hes got alot to work out before cameras roll.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
He won an Oscar for Pulp Fictions screenplay. Not bad for his second film.
[/quote]
I mean as a filmmaker.

[quote=“Eastern Beauty”]

I know that but I’ve got a bad feeling about it. He sais IB is gonna be his next movie but he doesn’t know what actors are going to be in it and he hasn’t finished the script yet.
[/quote]

The script is finished, remember he has more material than he can handle, he just has to sort out the story that he wants to tell. And that’s always a good thing as a writer to have extra material. He can just sit back and figure out what he wants to do. And when he finishes his project he might even do a TV series with the extra material. And actors, there are plenty out there who would be great in his WWII epic. He can get great actors like Michael Madsen, Christian Bale, and many more, there’s a plethora of great actors out there. Believe that Inglorious Bastards will be the best WWII epic that you will ever see. I hope he makes his own zombie film one day, but I think he’s too good for that - it’s like if Marty Scorsese made a romantic comedy - it might ruin him.

QT will get an Oscar for one of his films someday. Dont worry about it. I just want to enjoy them and see his movies do well, I dont care what awards he gets to be honest. It seems like he gets awards all the time. Does that change your opinion of his work? It doesnt for me.

But if he makes Bastards and its up for Best Picture, you better believe I’ll want him to win it. Thats just natural. But if he lost, and I loved the movie, how will that change anything? I wont like the movie any less.

Interesting. When QT finally shows Kill Bill as one movie at cinemas, or Cannes or wherever, would it be eligible for an oscar nomination?? Even if it were technically, the academy probably would not consider it because they were released already seperately as Vol.1 and 2.

P.S. I met Uwe Boll today. who wants to touch me? Send PMs. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]Interesting. When QT finally shows Kill Bill as one movie at cinemas, or Cannes or wherever, would it be eligible for an oscar nomination?? Even if it were technically, the academy probably would not consider it because they were released already seperately as Vol.1 and 2.[/quote]
I think it’s chances are lost. It’s kinda cheating anyways, releasing a film we’ve already seen. Once Upon A Time In America lost it’s chances when it was released as an edit.

And Kill Bill was shown in Cannes in it’s fully glory. I think.

Quote from a Total Film interview:

"Nowadays I wouldn’t feel comfortable making a three-hour movie unless I thought it really had a chance at the Oscars. That’s when they do well. They open them up around December to qualify for the awards and if they get the reviews then they stay in the theatres forever and ever and ever. And then if it gets nominated first for the Golden Globe then it’s not just around for three weeks or four weeks. People hear, “Oh that’s a good one, I gotta see that!â€