Public Enemies(2009)

[quote=“Pete”]
Yep Ive seen it. It was good. I liked how Oates and Ben Johnson had played The Gorch Bros in The Wild Bunch but in this they were enemies. Nice touch.

[/quote]

When you think about it, there’s always a hint of brotherhood and respect between a copper and a robber.

[quote=“F.W.”]
When you think about it, there’s always a hint of brotherhood and respect between a copper and a robber.
[/quote]

Say as in Heat…

Yeah, or Buster Keaton’s “Cops”.

I want to see this movie bad. This is one of the few this summer I’m really looking forward too…

[quote=“F.W.”]

This picture has nothing to with Cagney’s “The Public Enemy”. That was about prohibition era gangsters and criminals. This film is about the depression-era bank robbers John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson and so on and so forth. These “public enemies” were not actually considered “wretched men” but heroes to the people. Why? Because in the United States the depression was at the fault of the banks. America had too many and still do, really and they were not Government regulated. So to see a bunch of people sticking it to the banks and the Man, people loved it but soon the G-Men, who were the FBI agents specifically assigned to taking these guys down, became the heroes in pulp magazines and so on.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!
[/quote]

I was talking about the origin of the gangster pictures. And yes, John Dillinger was the rockstar bank robber who loved to go to the movies.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
I was talking about the origin of the gangster pictures. And yes, John Dillinger was the rockstar bank robber who loved to go to the movies.
[/quote]

Yet you referred to The Public Enemy as “the original public enemies”.

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to steal your schtick of spewing unnecessary amounts of information to prove my brain can store as much as other people’s.

Ok, let’s not get into who smells like what here.

Well then I guess Public Enemies has nothing to do with Public Enemy. It had the same title - almost. So I assumed. I haven’t seen any Cagney films. Though Bride OCD with Bette Davis is on my to watch list.

Let me guess. Kids never let you eat your pudding in peace, did they?

You should see the typical Cagney pieces first, I find that if you see those and don’t like him then it’s not worth it to see the others.

Bride OCD I’m watching first. Then I’m watching White Heat and Roaring 20s. I just ran out of DVD money. I purchased 15 Bette Davis films in the past 3 weeks. Yikes…

Sounds like you’re the one with OCD!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA ZING! AHAHAHAHAHA

Yes, indeed. Good zinger. You should pat yourself in the back, there. Really, I mean how do you do it? You should teach a class on zingers, really. No really, you should. Wow.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Yes, indeed. Good zinger. You should pat yourself in the back, there. Really, I mean how do you do it? You should teach a class on zingers, really. No really, you should. Wow.
[/quote]

Your sarcasm is so potent…it’s so…it’s like a potpourrie of sarcasm. It is wafting through my house right now…wow…that is amazing.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Bride OCD I’m watching first. Then I’m watching White Heat and Roaring 20s. I just ran out of DVD money. I purchased 15 Bette Davis films in the past 3 weeks. Yikes…
[/quote]

Those two flicks rock, especially White Heat. Although this flick looks so different from the original gangster pics it wouldn’t make a difference if you saw any of them.

[quote=“F.W.”]
Your sarcasm is so potent…it’s so…it’s like a potpourrie of sarcasm. It is wafting through my house right now…wow…that is amazing.
[/quote][quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
[/quote]

Really?

- YouTube

Best part of this feature is when they show the simulation robbery. Mann had Depp and the boys just go into a simulated, but unscripted and un-choreographed, bank robbery as themselves just to get the feel for it. Now that’s cool.

I’m seeing this today, finally, got some time off of work. :slight_smile:

Saw this today and really liked it. One of the few crime pictures that manages to combine realism and style.

Acting was terrific all round, interestingly shot and didn’t stray too far into gangster cliche (which is kind of unavoidable given the nature of the true story).

This film will definitely divide opinion though - but personally it gets an 8/10 from me.

and marion cotillard is just absolutely lovely! :wink:

I saw it the other day i liked it also and i agree marion cotillard was great in it the group of people i saw it with thought there would be more action than there actually was more bankrobbing and killing but i thought it was great the way it was

Michael Mann is awesome (yes Miami Vice sucked…oh well), and this movie looks awesome

This was a great classic story about an unchanged man in changing times - almost like The Wild Bunch. Cagney had the wise-cracking jokes, Bogart had a psychopathic edge and Johnny Depp has all the charm in the world to win over anyone. This really was a great classic story, I think I loved it even more because it took place in 1933, and god knows how much I love the thirties! And how about the scenes with Clark Gable and Myrna Loy! Watching the man in the giant screen was just so incredible it almost brought tears to my eyes, and the way the Gable film sort of fills in what Dillinger was facing up against made the story click even more - when he is shot down and whispers his last words. I loved it all the way. Hope Johnny Depp does a few more gangster pictures.