Public Enemies(2009)

The trailer just went up today and I’m very excited. I’m a fan of Michael Mann’s work as well as a huge Johnny Depp Fan not to mention my growing admiration for Marion Cotilliard, so this is definitely on my most anticipated movies of '09 list. The movie will probably have a lot of similarities to Mann’s Heat(1995), though Dillinger seems like a far more charismatic foil than DeNiro’s Neil McCauley. My only gripes with the project is that it’s shot on Digital and I found it to be incredibly distracting. What do you think?

And thus continues America’s love affair with anti-heros and gangsters.

Just watched the trailer. Hm, this doesn’t look like a movie I’d enjoy. The digital picture looks good I think, but it will maybe work against the feel of the movie.

Never seen Heat (1995) btw. I liked Collateral.

Let’s hope this one is more like Heat and less like Miami Vice… :-</E>

[quote=“nublob”]
Let’s hope this one is more like Heat and less like Miami Vice… :-</E>
[/quote]

AMEN! Heat was incredible, I thought. I love it so much. Val Kilmor is so hot, but you can really see that nasty knot on his elbow really good in that movie.

I like the digital look to it, gives it a real life feel to it. Almost like a doc. I can’t wait to check it out. It’s good to see Marion Cotillard in this. I like Bale, but it seems to me he doesn’t fit into this movie. It’s just his voice has the same deep tone in every movie. Oh well, it looks good either way.

I like the digital look. I find that the sharper a movie looks the less it distracts me.

Here’s a link to the trailer for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

iTunes Movie Trailers

I can’t wait to see the movie, it looks very promiscing. And everybody is saying that Mann is at his best again with this movie. I’m a huge fan of Johnny Depp, though I kinda get tired of Marion Cotillard.

The trailer didn’t do much for me. Marion Cotillard doesn’t seem to be good when acting in English, Johnny Depp looks like he’s having lots of fun but nothing we really haven’t seen him in before (reminds me very much of his roles in Donnie Brasco and Blow) and we really haven’t seem that much of Bale to make a fair comment.

The digital is pretty distracting, the music for the trailer didn’t fit at all and I’m not that huge of a fan of Michael Mann, he’s hit and miss with me. Heat was awesome until the ending sorta ruined it for me, Collateral was awesome until the ending really ruined it for me, Miami Vice sucked insanely. I don’t see what’s so special about him. I’ll probably end up seeing it coz I like the theme and am interested in the John Dillinger story, plus Depp is fun to watch.

I think this will be a vastly different side to depp. In Brasco he was hardnosed and abbrassive, I think in this he’ll be a little grittier, he’ll be more sure of himself, charismatic. As for Cotilliard, she’s definitely going to have a good year with this and then Nine later on in the year, she’s very talented and I don’t think the scenes they showed of her are indicitive of her performance as a whole, they really didn’t show much of Bale… which I don’t think is a good sign. But they really did show too much of the plot. Way too much.

Now this is gonna be a movie. Loving that typewriter machinegun - or “Tommy gun”.

[quote=“BioBasterd”]
Now this is gonna be a movie. Loving that typewriter machinegun - or “Tommy gun”.
[/quote]
It looks so random how they shoot with it. This weapon shoots so fast it must be useless to try and aim, you just shoot like a madman!

I’m really into films set in that time period of american history, I can’t think of a gangster film that disappointed me so I’m gonna watch this one too.

…And in case it sucks, Depp is gonna make it bearable.

People rarely get this time period right lately. Off the top of my head I can only think of Bugsy, Miller’s Crossing and Road to Perdition.

this movie will kick ass! :o

michael mann! johnny depp! christian bale! tommy guns! gangstaz!

Why is the digital camera distracting to some people? I understand it can be distracting when it’s a shitty digital camera and things are sort of blurry. The same way as when you’re watching an old film full of deformations can be distracting. But this looks pretty high quality. The type of movie that’s gonna look crystal clear when digitally projected in a theater.

[quote=“RatQuiRit”]
It looks so random how they shoot with it. This weapon shoots so fast it must be useless to try and aim, you just shoot like a madman!
[/quote]

Yea, I think they just basically sprayed bullets all over the place. I guess accuracy wasn’t a concern when a gangster is shooting into a street :stuck_out_tongue:

I felt a bit disappointed by Miami Vice: visually great but lacking of the human side of Mann’s previous movies AND Colin Farrell’s performance was far from matching the ones of Cruise, Pacino, De Niro, Will Smith… But all the trailers look like a come back at the top. Can’t wait…

[quote=“Henry Chinaski”]
I felt a bit disappointed by Miami Vice: visually great but lacking of the human side of Mann’s previous movies AND Colin Farrell’s performance was far from matching the ones of Cruise, Pacino, De Niro, Will Smith… But all the trailers look like a come back at the top. Can’t wait…
[/quote]

Ah, I liked Miami Vice. Could def have been better though. This is definitely Mann getting it back, which at his age can’t be an easy thing to do.

The digital format in Miami Vice pissed me off in a lot of places and Mann hasn’t been on his game for a long time. Thief is his best work.

[quote=“F.W.”]
The digital format in Miami Vice pissed me off in a lot of places and Mann hasn’t been on his game for a long time.
[/quote]

The digital formate like we’re seeing in some of the Public Enemies trailers? How did it piss you off in Miami Vice?

[quote=“F.W.”]
Thief is his best work.
[/quote]
Really?

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
The digital formate like we’re seeing in some of the Public Enemies trailers? How did it piss you off in Miami Vice?

Really?
[/quote]

I just don’t like the way it made it look. There were no Miami Vice visuals, it was all grainy and dark. I love grainy films but on digital? It’s okay to make amateur short films with it but it’s getting old.

Yes, really. Thief is fucking awesome.