The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Pf's influence on the movie world

i just read THIS:

From early 1995 until just recently, every crime movie mad suffered from some kind of hip nod towards the sassy ultra-violence of Pulp Fiction, a film so critically praised and loved by the cineastes that perhaps filmmakers felt they had to rip it off or suffer the box office consequences.

so what i’m asking, how is your opinion or what are your points of view concering the fact that PF is probably the one of those masterpieces that influenced so many other movies (memento, mexican,… the list goes on).

in my opinion, QT started something that I’d call “fun-cinema” and everybody tries to copy that.

One of the things I dig most about QT’s writing style is that… the dialogue of the characters is very organic to who they are and where they are at in the story of the movie…

So with that said one of the biggest influences you see in movies and media in general is the influence on dialogue. Can you count the number of times where you have watched a movie that attempted to have QT Pulp Fiction inspiried dialogue… but obviously just threw it into the movie in a nonorganic way… as if they just said ok lets have these characters in this scene speak like characters from a QT movie… so lets just throw in some references to pop culture of some kind. I pretty much cringe when I hear this in movies… as they obviously overlook the fact that QT writes organic to his characters and its not just him trying to throw out obscure pop culture refrences.

QT has really made movies and forms of entertainment carry much more pop culture sensibilities… movies and tv shows seem much more aware of pop culture (past and present) now than prior to Pulp Fiction. I see much more movies/tv shows now… that have scenes that reference other movies or something in pop culture in some way…

Another big influence is the soundtrack of the movie. Its almost impossible to escape a day on Earth without watching tv or seeing a movie where you don’t hear one of the songs from this movie in a commerical, trailer, tv show, sports game, movie, and on and on… its just amazing the effect the music has had… and how much to this day it is still used and heard… all because of its use in Pulp Fiction.

There has been countless movies that in someway contain some Pulp Fiction influence… be it just a camera shot… or otherwise… but none that really stand out as being a great Pulp Fiction-like movie.

Of late the most Pulp Fiction inspiried type movies I’ve seen have been by Japanese director Takashi Ishii. If you watch Black Angel… or any of his other movies you can’t help but feel like you are watching a movie from someone that has seen Pulp Fiction countless times.

The only good homage I’ve seen to Pulp Fiction (which QT himself is aware of) is in the Stephen Chow movie “Sixty Million Dollar Man”… although the movie itself is bad… there are 3 hilarious total knockoffs of scenes from Pulp Fiction in it (which pretty much make it the only reason to watch Sixty Million Dollar Man… other than it has some very hot women in).

Speaking of PFs effect on pop culture and movies. I was watching a commercial for Men In Black 2 and they were playing “Jungle Boogie” during it. I mean Cmon.

Also, you dont have to look too close to realize the suits in Men In Black look exactly like the suits in RD and PF. Plus Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, one white guy, one black guy, in white and black suits running around fighting aliens. If MIB isnt partly a rip off of PF, I dont know what is.

After Pulp was released every other crime film I watched was Tarantino-esque. From Usual Suspects to Suicide Kings (which has a clip from Reservoir Dogs in it) Boondock Saints to Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels. Its all one big QT rip off to me. Not to mention its being copied by QTS contemporaries!! Its not like QT is some older director like Coppola or Spielberg.

QT created a masterpiece with Pulp Fiction. You know somethings important when it effects the entertainment industry in such a huge way.

I was watching TV today and all of a sudden a WWF commercial comes on for Stone Cold Steve Austin, it starts out with shots of a wrestling match then the guy says : “And I will strike down upon thee with furious anger…And you will know his name is Stone Cold when he lays his vengeance upon thee”.

Its for a new WWF wrestling match entitled “Vengeance”.

8 years after Pulp Fiction, people are still quoting it. Wow.

I don’t think it’s fair to call movies like The Usual Suspects a rip off. They are completely different stories with characters that bare no resemblance to any characters from PF. Most people, for some reason think that since PF came out that every new gangster movie

is somehow a rip off of it. When Lock, Stock came out, a lot of people said it was just a British rip-off of Pulp Fiction. Just cause a few movies were put together that are shot well, contain complex storylines and have a really good soundtracks, does not mean they are related. There are just way too many film critics (or wannabe critcs) out there who make their living and reputation by being cynical.  Hip ultra violent movies have been around for years (John Woo’s older films comes to mind.) and QT was influnceed by them. That hole “controversy” of Reservoir Dogs being a rip off of City on Fire just reflects the endless cycle of filmakers being influenced by other filmakers.

Theres no question in my mind that Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are 2 of the most influential films of the past 20 years. Its obvious, just Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes).

There is no question about how much PF influenced movies and TV. Just yesterday I was watching the Simpsons and saw the Pulp Fiction inspired episode. And on the same day I saw the episode that featured Itchy and Scratchy in “Reservoir Cats”. Does anyone notice that a lot of movies copy the “walking in slow motion” opening scene from Reservoir Dogs? I see imitations of it very often. But Maybe it’s just me.

I fucking love The Mexican, and I appreciate the fact ath everone else hates it. Makes me feel like I get it, and no one else does.

Actually, I didn’t think The Mexican was so bad either. I certainly prefer it to many other similar movies…I wasn’t in awe of it or anything, but all in all I thought it was pretty charming.

I agree completely. It’s not Pulp Fiction, Matrix or the Apartment…but it is much better than most mainstream movies.

Whoever says other writers “rip-off” QT is a natualy born fuck-head! “Rip-Off” would be using the same situations and not altering them to make them different…as in “Truth of Consequences: NM” which really truly was a “RIP-OFF” of True Romance and Reservoir Dogs…

QT is “inspiring” people…

If you think QT thought up all his ideas, you’re an idiot…don’t get me wrong, the guy’s a genius…he takes, like he said. the oldest stories and tells them a different way…he worked in a fucking video store…HE HAD NOTHING BUT INSPIRATION. That’s what he’s doing now…INSPIRING.

They arn’t ripping him off, they are simply “Getting better” at the art of filmmaking.

You could say the rape scene is a rip off of “Deliverance” or “A Clock Work Orange” but you wouldn’t, because those films INSPIRED that scene.

Pulp Fiction has done nothing but inspire films…and that’s that.

If rip-off is like taking the rape-scene from PF and doing it in another movie…exactly how it was done in PF…that doesn’t mean everytime you see a homosexual rape in a film you say, “Oh, they ripped off QT there!” If you do taht, you have no knowledge of great film inspiration…

Rip off is if you see a glowing briefcase, or magic bullets…that’s a rip-off…Lock Stock and Two SMoking Barrels is inspired…

That’s my two cents.

thats true and not just qt influenced people but alot others are copying off of each other and thats just how the movie industry is.

A few years ago I saw a Jimmy Neutron Episode that had one of the biggest refrences to RD that I have seen.

Jimmy makes clones of himself and they all start walking down the street in slow motion with the same music and they even are doing some of the stuff that the cahracters did in RD. All the kids who saw that though would never be like…wow just like in Reservoir dogs lol

wait i might have seen that before lol

They often do references in Jimmy Neutron. They’ve also made references to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The Birds and they’ve spoofed the Pulp Fiction dance sequence.

can you explain.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and The Birds are referenced in the same episode, the one in which his jeans come to life. Halfway through the episode Jimmy’s mother says this situation with the living jeans reminds her of Hitchcock’s the Birds. In the end Jimmy has a duel with his jeans and you hear the GBU music.

The Pulp Fiction scene is in an episode in which Jimmy throws a party. Jimmy and this girl are dancing the same way as Mia and Vincent on exactly the same music.

[quote=“Vince Vega”]
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and The Birds are referenced in the same episode, the one in which his jeans come to life. Halfway through the episode Jimmy’s mother says this situation with the living jeans reminds her of Hitchcock’s the Birds. In the end Jimmy has a duel with his jeans and you hear the GBU music.

The Pulp Fiction scene is in an episode in which Jimmy throws a party. Jimmy and this girl are dancing the same way as Mia and Vincent on exactly the same music.
[/quote]

I must have missed that episode. I need to catch that one.

[quote]The Pulp Fiction scene is in an episode in which Jimmy throws a party. Jimmy and this girl are dancing the same way as Mia and Vincent on exactly the same music.[/quote]

thats awesome dude