Oh boy, oh boy

I’d hate to admit it, but this place is really in the fritz.

It’s no longer that badass hangout I used to know. You have spammers, no one even bothers to talk about anything, I mean I wasn’t around for a few months, but geez.

This place is dead.

:’(

I think it started with the gray background. Right?

???

yeah, I kinda agree. It’s hard too keep a place pumpin’ all the time. A lot of the edgier posters are still here. But seriously, how much can you talk about one guy and his movies. I think we’ve pretty much covered ALOT !!! Unless he robs a bank or kicks some old lady down the stairs… it’s pretty much all been covered.

We need more to talk about. Unfortunately, at 4AM, I can’t think of anything else right now. :-</E>

The spams are awful. I know everytime I log in that I’ll have to clean spams and ban fake users. I hate that. Sometimes it just convinces me not to log in cause i’ll waste 10mins cleaning everything and won’t have anymore time to check out the regular posts.

But yeah, we covered Tarantino a lot; I didn’t spend most of my time talking about him anyway, it either ends up by flaming wars or just people congratulating him with no deep analysis of his work. Plus with all the newbies, we always have to start the same discussions over and over again as if they didn’t know anything about Tarantino : is Jackie Brown his mature work ? what’s in the case ? Reservoir Dogs was boring ? and so on. I hate to even waste my time to re-educate people while my Tarantino education is done. Ahah, sounds like an old veteran angry at new kids ;D

I must say the new forum style isnt very user friendly and that might have hastened the decline of the forum.

I don’t think its a case of “How much can you talk about one director?”. most of the posts are non QT related and I used to enjoy bullshiting about movies on here but the place is officially dead.

something has to be done to promote traffic, change the board style and get rid of the constant spam.

I’m just posting here because it’s the only post that has gone on for more than 2. ;D

Hot Thread here people! Keep posting!

Seb needs to make more mods. Theres too much spam going on.

Holy shit, I knew there was some serious spamming going on but this is ridiculous. SEB! MODS! ANYONE!

Yeah, I’ll agree with the previous assessments and say that both the style + the spam has really hindered the forum. However, being familiar with phpbb and installing them, I know that both issues are a real pain in the butt. Changing up your style in the latest phpbb just SUCKS. It’s so tricky to do anything remotely interesting. Definitely not as user friendly as the older system. The spam bot issues can be tricky to deal with as well since there are so many different mods for the board to stop them and you might have to try three or four before you find one that will work well.

I set up a board for a good friend of mine and he was having some serious spam issues recently. It had been so long since I had modded my board and not only are we on different versions at this point I imagine, I couldn’t even recall which mods I had actually used so I had to go scouring through various mods until I found a couple that have seemed to have put a hold on their destroying of his forum. They are:

Anti_Bot_Registration

Avantibot

Both are super quick installs that require only a few edits. So, Seb if you see this dude, take a look at those if you don’t already have a mod that you lean towards. As always I’d be willing to help out in any way I can!

if the board gets changed to a system where you must log in to even view it - will that help with the spam?

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]if the board gets changed to a system where you must log in to even view it - will that help with the spam?[/quote]
Nah, the bots create accounts, so it wouldn’t really hinder them at all. Phpbb comes with it’s own built in spam blocker by way of Captcha images (where those numbers / letters show up and you have to repost them to verify yourself) and stuff, but the bots have software to get past that or any of the plain jane stuff that comes with this software. So there are now modifications out there where you can change around a few lines of code, add a new background image to the captcha graphics (so that it throws off the software the bots use to get past it) or even ask a new question that the bots won’t have an answer to. Seb’s a busy guy, I’m sure when he gets time he’ll be able to fix it with relative ease. It didn’t take me but maybe ten minutes to add those previously mentioned mods, but when you’re playing with this stuff it’s always best to do it when you have an afternoon free - because anything can happen and most of the time the worst possible things will end up happening anyway :laugh:

Shit this blows. At least we found something to talk about ;D

Other than the increase in spam, I don’t see how the new style has hindered anything. I just think it’s a slow period and people are running out of things to talk about.

Yeah, it usually takes about 10 minutes or so to get rid of all the spam when I log in (Lili and I seem to catch it in turns, her deleting what has gathered since I last deleted some) and it’s kind of annoying, but whatever. I’m not really complaining.

The new style has better mod controls anyway. If the spam is curbed, I’d prefer this forum set-up.

I’m sure the new set-up turned alot of people off. It’ll pick up guys, it has too. It’s been this slow before right?

I check this forum everyday, but don’t seem to have much to say. I check everyday, and everyday I wish I had administrative powers to help with the spammers. I admin at two other boards, and I actually like deleting spam and fake user accounts. It’s extra annoying to see all this spam just sitting here, and no one online to do anything about it. It seems like Sebby has just given up, though I know he’s super busy with his real life.

And yeah, I think we all know all about QT and his work, but that doesn’t mean he’s not still interesting.

[quote=“Angel”]Other than the increase in spam, I don’t see how the new style has hindered anything. I just think it’s a slow period and people are running out of things to talk about.

Yeah, it usually takes about 10 minutes or so to get rid of all the spam when I log in (Lili and I seem to catch it in turns, her deleting what has gathered since I last deleted some) and it’s kind of annoying, but whatever. I’m not really complaining.

The new style has better mod controls anyway. If the spam is curbed, I’d prefer this forum set-up.[/quote]
Seb upgraded from a previous install of phpbb so he wont’ be downgrading. The actual look and style of the forums won’t change any of the additional mod controls and such. It’ll just look different but your permissions will stay the same.

Like I said, more than likely Seb probably already has plans for all of this but is just busy. Dude has like four sites now that he’s doing admin work on so I imagine it keeps you pretty busy. I think they’re even working on a new forum for the Deuce.

I just wish phpbb3 was a little more obvious in its template files. The best thing I do now is go searching for a style online then editing the banner at the top. Other than that you’ll be delving head first into a lot of PHP, which might not bother Seb since he’s probably a lot more familiar with it than I am at this point.

I deleted loads of spam this AM… Now they are back. someone is determined to fuck with the site. They really have no life. it’s sad.

@ Pantsman and Geoi, thanks a lot for offering your help for the forum. Plus you run forum by yourselves too. I’ll talk to Seb cause we need new mods, and both of you could be great. Some of the mods and staff members are not active anymore, so we might need new staff members too (to take care of the wiki mostly).

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]Shit this blows. At least we found something to talk about ;D[/quote]

;D This has to be the longest running topic since I.B. came out. We all need to find something fun to do. It seems like we can't get "Guess the Movie Pic" running again, so any ideas what we can start to talk/do that will keep all of us posting right now?

We had other funny stuff like Guess the poster, same you post a poster without the title, just a part or the whole pic and guess the poster. That was funny too.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/community/vie … =13&t=9628”>http://www.tarantino.info/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9628</LINK_TEXT>