[news] Q is going with Weinsteins! [March 13]

From Variety.com

Parting is such suite sorrow

Tarantino to apparently take next project to Weinsteins’ new shingle

By IAN MOHR

NEW YORK – While Hollywood ponders the hangups in extricating the brothers Weinstein from their deal at Disney, the information vacuum has stirred much speculation and unnerved a lot of execs.

A number of key Miramax staffers have jumped ship. Wall Street was abuzz that Harvey and Bob were set to make a major announcement. And the Mouse House says it still hasn’t found someone to head Miramax when they do leave.

But as far as the Weinsteins’ vaunted talent relationships go, it looks like at least one key filmmaker in the Miramax fold will be sailing with them.

Quentin Tarantino will apparently steer his next project – Katrina Holden Bronson’s “Daltry Calhoun,” which the auteur is exec producing – to the Weinsteins’ new shingle when they’ve set up shop.

As talks between the Weinsteins and the Mouse House have dragged on, rumors that the deal will close “tomorrow” have raged for months. So far, though, “tomorrow” hasn’t come.

So what exactly is holding things up? The proceedings, it seems, are being hung up not by filibustering but by complexity.

The Weinsteins’ pact involves a multiplicity of pacts, representing nine or 10 deals rolled into one.

After Dick Cook took over the talks for Disney, general terms of the Weinsteins’ divorce from the Mouse House were hammered out amicably.

But points involving possible co-financing of films, the dissolution of the Weinsteins’ contract and who will run the arm when the Weinsteins leave are stickier.

Another point of speculation has been over who will follow the brothers to their new company. Miramax brass emphasize that since official offers cannot be made until the Disney exit deal closes, it’s near impossible to figure out who will go along for the ride.

As an ice storm gripped Gotham on March 8, Harvey Weinstein – slimmed down, in a leather jacket – was seen socializing into the night at Planet Hollywood with Bruce Willis for the mini-major’s new release, “Hostage.” The next day, the honcho boarded a plane for L.A. and another likely round of talks with Disney.

The deal was once again on the verge of being signed “tomorrow” – which came and went without any announcement.

His next Project!! So I guess the meeting with New Line did not go through…

Meaning… Yes if this source is true NO - QT’s Friday 13th >:(

Could not find news on variety.com home page so:

This is a link directly to the story, although you do have to subscribe… t’is free tho

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.variety.com/article/VR111791 … id=13&cs=1”>http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117919305?categoryid=13&cs=1</LINK_TEXT>

failing that… this is how i fond the news:

Parting is such suite sorrow:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=u … earch+News”>http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&q=tarantino&btnG=Search+News</LINK_TEXT>

[quote=“Dillontino”]
His next Project!! So I guess the meeting with New Line did not go through…

Meaning… Yes if this source is true NO - QT’s Friday 13th >:(
[/quote]

he’s just producing the Daltry Calhoun…

But with him being executive can he decide that?

• with him following Weinstein would he really go off track with New Line?

that’s a good question. But maybe then Newline co-produces the new Friday film with the new “weinstein company”… who knows

I hope he stays with Miramax, the sole reason for me saying this is because I love seeing that Miramax logo everytime a QT film starts (especially in Jackie Brown when the logo is accompanied by the brilliant first 20 seconds of “Across 110th Street”) It wouldn’t feel right if there was some other logo

Look at it in all it’s glory, it’s just there screaming at you PULP FICTION… JACKIE BROWN… KILL BILL…

ÂÂ

You’re right. I can’t tell you how many times they simply mention Miramax or show the logo and i always look up, just in case QT or one of his movies are mentioned.

Yeah, it wouldn’t feel right, a QT film without the Miramax logo.

“Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is definitely getting a wide release,” he told us, “actually, that’ll probably be the first movie that Miramax, under their new company, will be releasing theatrically. It’s the Japanese version, that’s why I call it that, you know, it should probably come out in the next few months. It’s going to be NC-17 in America. We couldn’t do that when Disney owned the place but now Disney’s the fuck outta there we can do anything we want! It’s gonna be off the hook!”

(From Film Focus)

http://www.filmfocus.co.uk/focuson.asp?FocusID=3

Looks like he’s definitely sticking with the Weinsteins.

I’m glad. I can’t wait for the Japanese version to come out! ;D

[size=150]Weinsteins step down from Miramax[/size]

The Weinsteins are to give up their positions as co-chief executives of Miramax, but will stay on as co-chairmen of the company, completing current projects and overseeing marketing and distribution.

Miramax Films and its catalogue of 550 films - which include pictures such as The English Patient, Cold Mountain and Scary Movie - will stay with Disney.

The Weinsteins and Disney have agreed to work together on sequels to the films Spy Kids and Scary Movie, as well as another 25 projects.

But The Weinstein Co will produce films by acclaimed directors such as Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith, both of whom have long working relationships with the Weinsteins.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen … 392881.stm”>BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Weinsteins step down from Miramax</LINK_TEXT>

Shit, I guess we won’t be seeing that brilliant and beautiful logo anymore? :’(

We will get over it… aftter all who remembers…

“seeeegggaaa”

Haha, I do. I loved playing Sonic too

The Miramax logo is old, folks. A new logo represents a new Tarantino, not the type of Tarantino during the Miramax days…

or maybe Tarantino can go to troublemaker

haha

actually, Tarantino was the “logo” of Miramax

[quote=“Buck”]
The Miramax logo is old, folks. A new logo represents a new Tarantino, not the type of Tarantino during the Miramax days…

or maybe Tarantino can go to troublemaker
[/quote]

what are you blathering about?

Tarantino is at Band Apart and his distribution company is Weinstein Company (www.weinsteinco.com). that’s OLD NEWS

I was talking about Tarantino moving to another company other than the Weinsteins

well he isn’t really, or have you heard different?