New Horror Genre

i thought hostel was great but i think this whole torture craze is just a copy off of modern asian cinema…but i did love hostel.

1. This “Torture Horror” is shit and I think they crossed the line with some of the movies like “Hostel”. I am not saying they shouldn’t make movies like this, I’m saying there shouldn’t be an audience for this.

2. I hate Saw, i think it sucks and it has some of the worst acting I can think of.

saw was great ur picking like the very few good movies to come out of this modern day horror genre and saying they suck.

Well, I’m not usually one to judge movies by looking at the people who watch them (I make up my own fuckin mind), but it seems strange to me that people I talk to about those movies (Saw movies, Hostel) seem to divide like this:

16 yo or younger - like it/love it

17 yo or older - don’t like it/hate it

I’m just making an observation. And I know people are gonna reply and say “I’m 3X, 2X and liked/LOVED this movie”

yea but i dont think it has anything to with age i mean hostel was like the horror movies that i loved from the 70s and 80s thats why i like it so much. Like QT says its not like 3 quaters of horror movies that come out today like (devils rejects) Which i hated because its not situation horror film. It tells an original story that slowly builds.

I really want to see the Devils Rejects, haven’t yet :slight_smile:

And Hostel doesn’t remind me of old horror movies at all, for me it is the example for a new kind of extreme torture horror, unlike we’ve ever seen before. Now when usually a filmmaker that pushes limits needs to be congratulated (even more so in what seems to be a world of PG-13 Horror), I don’t feel modern Horror should go that way AT ALL.

id rather have hostel and hostel 2 then have another pg-13 film.

[quote=“Jjp”]
id rather have hostel and hostel 2 then have another pg-13 film.
[/quote]

And I’d rather join my grandma’s bridge club than watch another Eli Roth movie OR PG-13 horror crap ever again.

i will have to admit before i seen hostel i hated roth his cabin fever is really bad but i liked hostel and hostel 2 was ok.

ill have to agree with you thaty the new horror genre is shit but i liked hostel 1, 2 saw and wrong turn.

I don’t get this hate on roth. I hate Hostel but I feel it was well made and Roth has a lot of talent, and could go on to make great films.

There have been tortue styled films for a long time, it just has never had such a large audience.

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
… but it seems strange to me that people I talk to about those movies (Saw movies, Hostel) seem to divide like this:

16 yo or younger - like it/love it

17 yo or older - don’t like it/hate it
[/quote]

FYI: I happen to be [17 yo or older] and I love Saw and Hostel. :wink:

yea i dont understand how someone could not like saw one the rest were not so good but the first was a masterpeice off horror in this decade.

Wolf Creek is one of the best horror movies thats came out in the last five years. If you havent seen it i recommend you checking it out.

How about slightly tongue-in-cheek ones from down under?