New David Lynch movie INLAND EMPIRE

It premiered september 6 at the Venice Film Festival where David Lynch also received an Lifetime Achievement Award.

The cast, Laura Dern, Jeremy Irons, Justin Theroux, was also there.

According to Lynch it’s “a mystery about a woman in trouble.” And set in the desert.

Yeah, I know, don’t spoil us with too much information…hopefully reviews will be online very soon.

From Imdb: Though David Lynch knew the basic premise of the film, he began filming without a script. He wrote each scene just before shooting them.

I don’t know about you but that doesn’t sound very promising to me.

All Lynch movies sound promissing !

I thinkg it’s pretty funny that he got an Lifetime Achievement award, cause he hasn’t finished his career ! ;D I was already surprised when I learn about it, and everytime I re-read it, I wanna laugh :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Jack Wolfgang”]
From Imdb: Though David Lynch knew the basic premise of the film, he began filming without a script. He wrote each scene just before shooting them.

[/quote]

He probably did that on purpose so that he could give the film a more “surreal” feel. Lynch is a wacko and I love him for it. As lili said all his films are promising, no matter what you may or may not have heard before their release. Mulholland Dr. was originally filmed for television, yet it has been for the last 5 years my second favorite movie of all time. I love how he keeps experimenting with his films. Can’t wait for this one.

And the best is that his surrealism isn’t pretentious, it is stylish and well balanced, just like a dream. Mysteries. Get them or not, I personally don’t try much. And you can never expect anything from him.

It’s my most awaited project for these days and I don’t want any futher pre-film information than the “woman in trouble” sentence.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ … 75,00.html”>TLS - Times Literary Supplement</LINK_TEXT>

:-</E>

[quote=“Jack Wolfgang”]

[/quote]

Huh, a little risky but it sounds like an interesting idea.

[quote=“moussemaker”]
<LINK_TEXT text=“http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ … 75,00.html”>TLS - Times Literary Supplement</LINK_TEXT>

:-</E>
[/quote]

I knew about it… Well, all the people were quite confused after the showing… :-</E>

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
I knew about it… Well, all the people were quite confused after the showing… :-</E>
[/quote]

You already seen it?

[quote=“Scarface”]
You already seen it?
[/quote]

Nope ! I wish I had. But French TV shows talked about it, and French newspaper and all…

I see. Well I’d be worried if they didn’t find it confusing, considering it’s Lynch and all. That’s kinda a given you know what I mean. ;D

[quote=“Scarface”]
I see. Well I’d be worried if they didn’t find it confusing, considering it’s Lynch and all. That’s kinda a given you know what I mean. ;D
[/quote]

Ahah exactly ! All good Lynch movie must disturb ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I just saw Inland Empire at the Brisbane International Film Festival.

Where do I start? Well, I’ll start with the stylistic choices. The digital looks great. I am a big fan of using digital as a stylistic choice. Sure, it can look just plain shit when it’s done because it’s cheap. But when a director like Lynch uses a digital camera, there’s a reason. It gives him incredible movement. It’s like a whole new side of Lynch, but still undoubtedly his own. He makes use of a wide angle lens and frequently blows out the windows of houses during the daytime. It sounds like a cheap V-Cinema film, but it looks fantastic.

Now, the story. Well, it reminded me of the first time I read Naked Lunch by Burroughs. It skips from small stories to the main story and then proceeds to get weirder. The beat poets, like Burroughs, had this tradition of telling a story and then taking it to the extreme until it got really bizarre. Inland Empire reminded me of that. As far as Lynch goes, it is closest to Mulholland Drive than any of his other work. Laura Dern sits in a room with some girls as a couple of them comment on one girl’s breasts, saying that they are beautiful, and then it cuts to all the girls doing the locomotion in the living room, disco lights flashing over the room. It continually cuts to three bunnies in a room, one of them doing the ironing, a laugh track playing when they say certain things. It’s unlike anything else. And Laura Dern is amazing. What a role. It requires so much range and yet she pulls it off. Harry Dean Stanton and Jeremy Irons are awesome too.

By far, the most insane thing I’ve seen this year. Well worth trying to see it on the cinema screen. 5/5

Watched it last night, and have conflicted thoughts on it. Although it is visually brilliant and has one of the most horrifying atmospheres I have ever been witness to, as that link posted earlier stated, it is one of the most impenetrable films ever made. I have absolutely no idea what any of it meant and have no idea where to really begin. With Mulholland Dr. or Lost Highway, there was definitely a backbone of a script and was in some ways fairly easy to navigate. Inland Empire has no floatation devices to help keeping you from drowning in the murkyness of it’s insanity. It’s just so hard to get into, but overall, I did enjoy myself and simply have to give more thought to the film. Maybe after some time I can start to interpret some of it’s crazyness. Until then, it’s like a beautiful painting with so much going on that no single interpretation can give it any form of justice.

I have a vague idea of what the hell’s going on in INLAND EMPIRE but I’d at least want to see it again before I make any remarks on it. Probably the best performances of Laura Dern’s career. She was playing more than one character in this so I say performances.

Lynch’s art films are truly hypnotic.