Musicals

One word… GREASE! The most purchased recorded musical film in history. John Travolta is King!

But it isn’t just about Grease. It’s about all musical/movies. West Side Story was pretty good too. I even liked Oklahoma in bits.

If they would make a film out of Movin’ Out, I’d go see it in a heartbeat.

What’s your favourite musical film?

All That Jazz is my favorite.

I also like The Band Wagon, Singin’ in the Rain and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Fantasia is a great movie to watch in the dark and on a big screen. Really trippy.

All That Jazz and New York, New York are great.

Chicago was ok.

Yeah, All That Jazz is really good too. And I liked Chicago. I totally forgot about it.

The Sound of Music is excellent

Oklahoma! is great too, and State Fair.

In fact, all the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals.

Cannibal! - The Musical and The South Park Movie are great musicals too.

[quote=“Geoi”]
West Side Story was pretty good too. [/quote]
Hmm… I’ve only seen the West Side Story the musical, not the movie. :-</E>

Grease was ok, New York New York was great, Chicago was so too (especially that bit with Lucy Liu :smiley:). Ehem, and my favorite musical is Moulin Rouge (Yeah, that’s right, the one with Nicole Kidman). I’m just a teenage girl after all :-[

I’m not a huge fan of Moulin Rouge, but I enjoyed it. (Ewan Mcgregor is super cute, which doesn’t hurt ;D)

I recently saw Sweeney Todd, and while I really enjoyed it, it grew a lot more on me AFTER I left the theater. I can’t wait to see it again!! Hairspray had almost the opposite affect on me. I loved it when I saw it, but after seeing it again, it’s kind of relapsed a bit, but it’s still enjoyable and gives you that happy smiley effect.

The only musical I actually like(and very much!) is Phantom Of The Paradise by Brian De Palma, All the other ones I have seen e.g. Grease. have in my opinion been just plain bad!

I’ve seen the Phantom of the Opera and I think the songs there are very beautiful but… there’s something wrong with music, it’s just… too heavy. I’ve heard it once and I don’t want to hear it again because it gives me a headache.

I can’t stand musicals. I just hate it when people start singing in a movie. Even as a kid, when watching Disney movies I would fastforward the parts where they started to be all jolly happy singing…well ok, maybe not in the lion king :stuck_out_tongue:

Hakuna Matata motherfuckers.

I always wished people would randomly break out into song, walking down the street or something. I think it would make the world a better place… ;D

Monty Python’s Meaning of Life. The Every Sperm Is Sacred segment is possibly the best 5 minutes of Monty Python captured on film.

Of the recent ones, Dreamgirls and Chicago are my favorites.

To me The Sound of Music was the most traumatic movie experience ever. I was maybe 7 or 8 when our teacher forced the whole class to watch it. For the next 9 years or so I refused to watch a single musical.

But now I like musicals. Not Grease, though. Couldn’t watch it for more than 25 minutes.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
To me The Sound of Music was the most traumatic movie experience ever. I was maybe 7 or 8 when our teacher forced the whole class to watch it. For the next 9 years or so I refused to watch a single musical.

But now I like musicals. Not Grease, though. Couldn’t watch it for more than 25 minutes.
[/quote]

You should check out “Princess Raccoon” (a.k.a. “Operetta Tanuki Goten”) with Jo Odagiri and Zhang Ziyi. Wonderfully bizarre, charming, and quite colourful. Directed by Seijun Suzuki, but you’ll probably know this already.

[quote=“diceman”]
You should check out “Princess Raccoon” (a.k.a. “Operetta Tanuki Goten”) with Jo Odagiri and Zhang Ziyi. Wonderfully bizarre, charming, and quite colourful. Directed by Seijun Suzuki, but you’ll probably know this already.
[/quote]

Liked it despite my usual dislike for Zhang Ziyi. I do love the gute boy Odagiri, though, which was a great help.

Did you know Suzuki was 85 years old when he directed it?

As far as asian musicals go I have to say I enjoyed Perhaps Love more. Jacky Cheung is terrific in it, and the visuals are as beautiful as you’d expect from two of the world’s top cinematographers (Christopher Doyle and Peter Pau). Trailer here (enter site, skip intro)

[quote=“plunderbunnie”]
I always wished people would randomly break out into song, walking down the street or something. I think it would make the world a better place… ;D
[/quote]

Ah Ha! I’ve been saying this for years, and it’s SO TRUE!

^5’s plunderbunnie

[quote=“Hung Fist”]

[/quote]

But…but why? The Sound of Music is awesome, even more so for a 7 year old I would suspect. :-</E>

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
But…but why? The Sound of Music is awesome, even more so for a 7 year old I would suspect. :-</E>
[/quote]

That’s a weird thing to say. 7 year olds love Bond films, not musicals.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
That’s a weird thing to say. 7 year olds love Bond films, not musicals.
[/quote]

well i liked both… ;D