Movies That Let You Down

Straw Dogs really let me down

[quote=“Ify”]
Donnie Brasco
[/quote]
Really? i throughly enjoyed Donnie Brasco, i thought it was quite real and didn’t get to “epic”

I agree about Donnie Brasco being a little disappoitning. I strongly disagree about Carlito’s Way.

Carlitos Way and the Untouchables? Is this serious or a joke? How do these films “let you down” exactly? Theyre both classics to me. Donnie Brasco was really good too.

[quote=“mr blonde_22”]
Really? i throughly enjoyed Donnie Brasco, i thought it was quite real and didn’t get to “epic”
[/quote]

I expected a lot more from Pacino and Depp and Madsen as Sonny Black was unbelievable. He didn’t seem like the big bad boss his character was supposed to be.

[quote=“Scarface”]
I agree about Donnie Brasco being a little disappoitning. I strongly disagree about Carlito’s Way.
[/quote]

I guess you can only be disappointed if you expect another Scarface. But then again a lot of people say they liked Carlito more than Scarface, whihc I just cannot agree with at all. I didn’t like Pacino’s character or his annoying accent. It really did detract from the film. Also, it seemed to move at a terribly slow pace. I kept waiting for things to happen, but alas, it wasn’t as adrenaline fueled as Scarface. To each their own I guess.

[quote=“Pete”]
Carlitos Way and the Untouchables? Is this serious or a joke? How do these films “let you down” exactly? Theyre both classics to me. Donnie Brasco was really good too.
[/quote]

Untouchables was the most disappointing of the gangster films I mentioned. Costner was the worst thing about it. He clearly cannot act, it’s a wonder how he was allowed to continue acting in all these big films. He is far more credible as a director. Furthermore, with a film starring De Niro, Connery and to a lesser extent Garcia, directed by De Palma, written by David Mamet and scored by Morricone, this film was hugely disappointing. A lot of talent wasted there. The film just did not make an impact on me at all. And Connery annoyed the shit out of me.

You happened to mention those two films because they are directed by your bestest most favouritist director in the whole wide universe, and I know there is no swaying you so I won’t even try. Sorry, but frankly, I’d much rather watch The Black Dahlia. :-</E>

I dont even understand how you cannot like those two films. You’re making them sound like they are unwatchable. They are both really excellent films. Even if I wasnt a huge DePalma fan, Id still think they were great. Its not like its a disputed fact, they are both held in high regard by fans and critics alike. You’re one of the only people Ive heard say they werent any good. I just dont see where youre coming from at all. ???

The Untouchables is terrible. It has no direction at all. Scenes with De Niro were awesome, as well as the opening scene, and make it feel like it’s a great gangster movie, but they’re all mixed with that piece of shit Costner - Connery combo, plus that little fellow, who turn it into a crappy adventure with cheap humour in the back. When the big “showdown” finally comes, you don’t even know what the hell you’re watching, let alone care of what’s going to happen. I was very disappointed…

Other films that let me down (I’ll name world-loved classics, which I also hoped to love):

Apocalypse Now;

The Usual Suspects;

Donnie Darko;

Seven Samurai;

8 1/2;

Million Dollar Baby;

Crash;

The Pianist

Probably there are a lot more, I just listed the first I could remember

I really enjoyed Donnie Darko

[quote=“Bleach”]
The Untouchables is terrible. It has no direction at all. Scenes with De Niro were awesome, as well as the opening scene, and make it feel like it’s a great gangster movie, but they’re all mixed with that piece of shit Costner - Connery combo, plus that little fellow, who turn it into a crappy adventure with cheap humour in the back. When the big “showdown” finally comes, you don’t even know what the hell you’re watching, let alone care of what’s going to happen. I was very disappointed.[/quote]

Riiiight. No direction at all. Okayyyy. I feel like I stepped into one of those ignorant movie discussions from 5 years ago. Anyways, Im not gonna waste anymore of my time with this. Have fun kids.

Some rebuttal… How come you take things so personally? So I guess a non-ignorant movie discussion is one where everyone agrees to your points, saving you the trouble of actually taking time to think a bit, define what is exactly what you love about the film and persuading others to agree. Fine, go to a De Palma forum, master of constructive debate.

Anyway, I think I know what really disappointed me about The Untouchables. It’s that it doesn’t touch me at all, although it’s supposed to, with all the deaths of characters and so on. They’re never developed to a level where you get a certain feeling about them - either you love them or not, which later results into either being sad or happy of their deaths. It’s got a lot of emotion in the script, you can feel it, but on screen it’s as emotional as watching grass grow.

Oh yeah, Connery’s death stirred up feelings, but those of relief, as I really couldn’t stand the annoying bastard

Personally I always responded to the film from the first time I saw it around age 13 in the theater. Lets see, the opening is just awesome, that Ennio Morricone theme giving the film its super rapid pace. Reminds me alot of the opening title credits of Pulp Fiction actually. In fact, that may be where Pulp Fictions sequence came from. Rewatch it again and see if you notice what I mean.

I’ll just say right now that the direction in the movie is outstanding. Why do I get pissed off at ya? Not because you dont like it, its really because you offhandedly say stuff like “That movie has no direction at all”. The FIRST thing thats great about that movie is the direction. The acting: I didnt know who Costner was when I first saw that film, but I can also say that I thought he was great as Elliot Ness, Id say its one of his top 3 performances in his career. Hes not the finest actor ever, but he was solid in that role and I liked him alot. I loved the whole weat behind the ears do gooder turned badass Chicago law enforcer aspect in the film.

Sean Connery: How did he get an Oscar for that role if he was so terrible? I thought he was superb as Jimmy Malone. My fave role of his after James Bond. He was the mentor of the film, the guy whos seen it all, a forgotten everyman who becomes a tragic hero. That scene when he gets shot is excruciating to watch. It almost makes me shed a tear when Ness finds him bleeding. The whole hitman/voyeur sequence leading up to the murder is visual cinema at its best. Pure DePalma.

DeNiro as Capone: Loved him in this. Loud, brash, brutal. Great performance. He also got to work with DePalma again, the guy who introduced him to Martin Scorsese.

Andy Garcia: What can I say? A great rookie sidekick in Stone aka Giuseppi Petri. Its Andy Garcia man, hes one of the coolest actors ever.

Charles Martin Smith: Ive been a fan of his since I saw American Graffiti. The comedic buffoonish rookie who also becomes a tragic hero in the story. I cant complain about his acting or performance.

The rooftop chase sequence with Ness and Nitti is one of my all time favorites. Billy Drago was such a weaselly bastard in that film. Awesome job. I loved when Ness gives him that PUSH. haha.

The train station/Odessa Steps sequence is beautifully done. DePalma designed that piece in 20 minutes in between helping out with the actors. He didnt have any DVD to watch. It was purely from his own mind. THAT is great filmmaking.

The Canadian border bust is also really fun. I love when Malone gets the dead guy and acts as if hes alive and gets Capones thug to talk.

Just my opinion.

[quote=“Bleach”]

The Usual Suspects
[/quote]

Yeah, good one. I was quite disappointed with this one. If it wasn’t for the ending, I’d be seriously pissed for wasting good money to rent it.

[quote=“Bleach”]
Some rebuttal… How come you take things so personally? So I guess a non-ignorant movie discussion is one where everyone agrees to your points, saving you the trouble of actually taking time to think a bit, define what is exactly what you love about the film and persuading others to agree. Fine, go to a De Palma forum, master of constructive debate.

Oh yeah, Connery’s death stirred up feelings, but those of relief, as I really couldn’t stand the annoying bastard
[/quote]

I agree with you on all these points. Furthermore, I found the film to be instantly forgettable.

[quote=“Pete”]
The acting: I didnt know who Costner was when I first saw that film, but I can also say that I thought he was great as Elliot Ness, Id say its one of his top 3 performances in his career. Hes not the finest actor ever, but he was solid in that role and I liked him alot. [/quote]

I stopped reading after this.

So whats that mean? Im supposed to take you guys seriously when you act like that? I mean, now I have to write fuckin essays to prove why I like a film? Gimme a break.

I have my reasons. If theyre not good enough for ya. Oh fuckin well.

[quote=“Pete”]
Sean Connery: How did he get an Oscar for that role if he was so terrible? I thought he was superb as Jimmy Malone. My fave role of his after James Bond. He was the mentor of the film, the guy whos seen it all, a forgotten everyman who becomes a tragic hero. That scene when he gets shot is excruciating to watch. It almost makes me shed a tear when Ness finds him bleeding. The whole hitman/voyeur sequence leading up to the murder is visual cinema at its best. Pure DePalma.
[/quote]

He got an Oscar?? Whoa, alright…

Anyway, I never dissed the cinematography and directing, as it truly is superb. But what annoys me is the classic way it happens with De Palma - he sort of forgets the story, pushes it behind all the technical stuff. It’s also what happened in The Black Dahlia.

The plot direction is pretty straightforward. But stylistically it’s a somewhat incomprehensible mix.

[quote=“Pete”]
So whats that mean? Im supposed to take you guys seriously when you act like that? I mean, now I have to write fuckin essays to prove why I like a film? Gimme a break.

[/quote]

I know what you mean, after you showed your reasons. Btw - did it move you in any way? I mean - emotionally

[quote=“Pete”]

[/quote]

The thing is, you hardly ever give reasons for your opinions and instantly get annoyed when anyone is against your opinion. It doesn’t work like that dude. I always try to give reasons for why I thought something was something. You seem to reject anybody that has anything to say that is on the contrary to your beliefs. I think you lack respect for other people’s opinion.

Costner was alright in the film. He’s no Al Pacino, but he wasn’t so bad that he was distracting. The mentality of some people I’ll never understand. They read “Kevin Costner sucks” in some snobbish critic’s review and start to believe he’s the worst actor ever. Give me a break.

I respect people who say they were let down by The Untouchables. But I don’t have a fucking clue what they’re talking about when they say the direction was terrible. I could list at least 10 reasons to prove that statement wrong.

[quote=“Bleach”] But what annoys me is the classic way it happens with De Palma - he sort of forgets the story, pushes it behind all the technical stuff. It’s also what happened in The Black Dahlia. The plot direction is pretty straightforward. But stylistically it’s a somewhat incomprehensible mix
[/quote]

The Untouchables is one of the easiest DePalma films to watch for most people I thought. Its not as highly stylized as say Dressed To Kill.

[quote=“Ify”]
The thing is, you hardly ever give reasons for your opinions and instantly get annoyed when anyone is against your opinion. It doesn’t work like that dude. I always try to give reasons for why I thought something was something. You seem to reject anybody that has anything to say that is on the contrary to your beliefs. I think you lack respect for other people’s opinion.[/quote]

Sometimes I can see why people dont like something. I just dont trust people after they say stuff like “No direction at all”. That basically says that you dont know what youre saying. But Im supposed to just accept your opinion? It doesnt work that way for me.

Ahhh, I finally got what the fuss was about. I didn’t mean “direction” as the work of the director, I meant - you know, direction. The way of the plot, style, what direction the film goes. God, I should choose my words