Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

the way aldo kills the last german (not looking at him) is similar to the way jules winfield kills the first guy in the flat in pulp fiction

[quote=“Laydback”][quote=“Dead Zed”]Here’s a big work-in-progress list of references/influences:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.scarecrow.com/2009/08/27/bef … -basterds/”>http://www.scarecrow.com/2009/08/27/before-they-were-basterds/</LINK_TEXT>[/quote]

Surprised to not see The Wild Bunch in there.

Hugo’s flashback shows that he has the same memory (Even from the same angle!) of being whipped by his captors. Just like Deke Thorton (Robert Ryan)[/quote]

Good catch! I knew i recognised that from somewhere.

when donny beats werner with the baseball bat, the camera goes back very fast, just like in dirty harry when harry is beaing scorpio in th baseball stadium.

also when privte butz is talking with aldo through the translator the camera moves very fast from one character to another. that reminded me the scene with harvey keitel and tim roth in the car at the beginig of reservoir dogs.

Don’t know if its already bee mentioned or not, but the “All the rotton eggs in one basket” line has to be a reference to The Great Escape.

Our class just talked about Zarah Leander today and it’s obvious she was THE inspiration for Bridget Von Hammersmark.

The idea of killing people with bombs and fire while they’re watching a movie at the cinema reminds me of Fernando Di Leo's “Il Boss” (a.k.a. Wipeout!) opening scene:

- YouTube

The Boss (1973) - IMDb

I am bumping this thread with a few things I regard as references in this movie. They include spoilers.

1. When Hans Landa is walking through the barn, we see this from a top angle. The ceilingboards pass in front of the camera, very similar to some famous scenes out of Evil Dead (1981)

2. When the theatre is burning and the nazis try to escape, but end up banging the doors in desperation. This mirrors a scene from Demons (1982, aka Dance of the Demons) where a bunch of zombie/demon-thingies appear in a mysteriously closed cinema-hall.

3. During Nation’s Pride, a man is shot by Zoller and falls down into a fountain which looks like a smaller swimming pool. This is very similar so one of the closing killings in Scarface (1984).

I hope you include this in the Archives!

ALSO! Aldo Raines neck scar could be a reference to either The Great Silence, Hang ´Em High or The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. I can’t tell which one is the most certain.

I hate that everything that QT does in his movies are said that he is taken from some other movie. Like he didn’t have any own thoughts and ideas. If you want to, you can watch any film and search for references to other movies! I just hate you guys do it only to QT movies.

Before crying in your bucket, we’re not even criticizing it. it’s a FACT that these are intentional references/homages. It’s part of his schtick

[quote=“Dr. Zombie-lint”]I am bumping this thread with a few things I regard as references in this movie. They include spoilers.

1. When Hans Landa is walking through the barn, we see this from a top angle. The ceilingboards pass in front of the camera, very similar to some famous scenes out of Evil Dead (1981)

2. When the theatre is burning and the nazis try to escape, but end up banging the doors in desperation. This mirrors a scene from Demons (1982, aka Dance of the Demons) where a bunch of zombie/demon-thingies appear in a mysteriously closed cinema-hall.

3. During Nation’s Pride, a man is shot by Zoller and falls down into a fountain which looks like a smaller swimming pool. This is very similar so one of the closing killings in Scarface (1984).

I hope you include this in the Archives![/quote]

Seems like you’re reaching a bit. :wink: Seems pretty circumstantial.

[quote=“Dr. Zombie-lint”]ALSO! Aldo Raines neck scar could be a reference to either The Great Silence, Hang ´Em High or The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. I can’t tell which one is the most certain.[/quote]

Or High Plains Drifter, or any other of the countless other films with hangings, or even neck scars in them. :smiley: Like the Barbarian Brothers (ha, Kenneth)

[quote=“EvenSteven”]Before crying in your bucket, we’re not even criticizing it. it’s a FACT that these are intentional references/homages. It’s part of his schtick[/quote]

Hold up there, cowboy. No One but QT knows what is and what isn’t an intentional reference/homage. So we shouldn’t say any of this is FACT until we hear it from the man himself.

[quote=“EvenSteven”]Before crying in your bucket, we’re not even criticizing it. it’s a FACT that these are intentional references/homages. It’s part of his schtick[/quote]

Some are, some are not. I don’t believe that everything in his movies is just a reference. Though, it’s cool that people are looking for references and are interested in such things.

I never once head QT say “I was paying hommage to…” or "With this I was referencing…"

We can be pretty sure he just uses ideas and stuff from other movies, simply because they are awesome or they work really good.

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]I never once head QT say “I was paying hommage to…” or "With this I was referencing…"

We can be pretty sure he just uses ideas and stuff from other movies, simply because they are awesome or they work really good.[/quote]

Yep.

Quentin called Elle Driver’s scene in KBill vol. 1 his “de palma” scene so that in essence is his admittance to paying homage to Carrie as it basically does the same split screen.

I’m watching “Man Hunt” with Walter Pidgeon. About a guy who shot at Hitler,running from a relentless pursuer. Played by John Carradine. I swear QT got the Idea for the “Jew Hunter” from this performance.

hope these are some useful starting points.

The Dirty Dozen

Play Dirty

Tobruk

The Five Man Army

Hornet’s Nest

Kill Them All and Come Back Alone

Kelly’s Heroes

The Inglorious Bastards

<LINK_TEXT text=“News from Earth-2: The Never-Seen Zack Snyder Cut of 'Batman v Superman' … -neilm.php”>http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/9-films-that-influenced-inglourious-basterds-neilm.php</LINK_TEXT>

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Operation Amsterdam

International Lady

“The Saint” films

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.kansascity.com/2010/02/18/17 … about.html”>http://www.kansascity.com/2010/02/18/1756599/quentin-tarantino-talks-about.html</LINK_TEXT>

To Be or Not to Be

Paris After Dark

Action in Arabia (is translated in the article as “Intrigue in Damascus”)

Nazi Agent

Hitler’s Madman

Manhunt

Hangmen Also Die

The Confessions of a Nazi Spy

The Private Affairs of Bel Ami

http://www.cahiersducinema.com/article1880.html (must be translated from the original french)

A bit late, but I watched “The Big Red One - Reconstruction” for the first time last night and spotted some possible influences:

• the blond woman in the red dress who makes a plan to kill all the Nazis in the asylum (BTW, that whole asylum part of the movie has got to be one of the best war scenes ever)
  • the way they recognized a German spy by the way he eats at the dinner
  • that sneaky and vile sergeant Schroeder reminds me of Landa, plus he also gets wounded by a knife in the woods in the last scene

Of course, these just might be coincidences, but then again we all know Quentin is a big Sam Fuller fan…

The German movies carries the glow in itself. The big red one was a fascination experience with the best war scenes ever recorded.

Watch Transformers: The Dark of The Moon online Download The Smurfs movie

Video: Definitive Inglourious Basterds movie references guide by @stian.a.olsen