Mistakes

Watching Reservoir Dogs again, I noticed a mistake that I never came across before.

When they’re in the car, Nice Guy Eddie behind the wheel, White in the shotgun, Orange and Pink in the back, they’re talking about how black girls are different from white girls.

Well anyway, Pink makes a point and then Nice Guy Eddie says something like “I have to give it Pink.” Something like that. Either which way, he calls him Mr. Pink.

Well they are driving to go meet with Joe Cabot and the rest of the guys where they all find out their names, so technically, Pink doesn’t have that name yet.

Now, like a good fan, I tried justifying it in my head. Maybe Eddie already knew what name his dad would give Pink but then, in the warehouse, Pink objects to his name as if its the first time he’s ever hearing it. Pink would’ve freaked out in the car if he heard Nice Guy call him Pink.

So then I said to myself, alright, Maybe that scene where Joe assigns the names occured before that scene where they’re driving but, no, that would totally be changing the structure of the movie that we’re all use to.

Beside, although the film is told in chapters, those two scenes are in chronological order.

Has anyone ever noticed this before? And has it already been mentioned somewhere on here?

i notice it too. But just thought when first meeting Joe one on one he gave them their name, and maybe Pink didnt want to make a big deal about since he needed the money. And then when he hears it again at the warehouse he questions it. my thoughts

Mike, you make a really good point. I also noticed than and the only expination I have is that, Eddie already knew what name his dad would give Pink in the warehouse and he kind of blurted it out prematurely. At the time it probably did not occure to pink that “Mr. Pink” would be his name for the job. I still can’t figure out why pink did not react when he was called “Pink”.

The only thing I can think is that it was mistake. I don’t wanna admit it but it happens to the best of us. Sure we could make up excuses in our heads about what it could mean but you know what, its still cool and I only noticed it after like 7 years so I think it works. I guess the general rule of thumb is that if a first time viewer or audience member doesn’t catch it, it works. I still like this movie…alot.

I’ve lost all my respect for QT after that mistake.

HAHA, just kidding. No big deal.

I still thin kthe best theory is that Joe called them all and gave 'em their names…Pink became a smart-ass in the wharehouse just to show off to say, "Yeah, I’m talking back"

Plus they don’t want Mr. Pink and Mr. White to introdude themselves. As in Pink gets into the car and shakes White’s hand and says, "Hi, my name is So & So"

Plus Mr. Orange and White met earlier at the Bar, I thin kthis scene occured before the introduction scene because when he’s talking to Holadaway he says that’s where he first met him. I dunno. I still think Joe first called 'em up, then introduced them all to eachother in the wharehouse

Since the movie is non linear, isnt it possible that the scene took place AFTER the meeting at the warehouse? After all, Nice Guy picked Mr Orange up, maybe they are taking him home after the meeting. Hence Nice Guy calling him “Pink”.

That would work…IF…they were wearing different clothes. Everybody in the car is wearing the same they do in the wharehouse. So I doubt it’s after that.

[quote]That would work…IF…they were wearing different clothes. Everybody in the car is wearing the same they do in the wharehouse. So I doubt it’s after that.[/quote]

from my recollection they are wearing the same clothes as in the meeting at the wharehouse… I think it is quite possible that Nice Guy being the nice guy he is was taking them back home.