Long shot

I wonder if the original concept of PF included Travolta overdosing instead of Thurman.

Ever see “Panic in Needle Park”? Al Pacino overdoses on Heroin and is brought to someone’s house and they don’t want him there. Shot for shot, it’s almost the same, except there is no gigantic syringe.

In “Saturday Night Fever” some girl remarks that she was kissed by Al Pacino after Tony Manaro kisses her. The next morning, Manaro stands in front of the mirror after glancing at his “Serpico” poster screaming "Al Pacino!"

Sure it’s a long shot, but it would be a great homage if Tarantino could have written it that way.

well if its the other way round, maybe it was QTs idea to exactly do it the other way round on purpose, dont you think?

great thing you brought that up

maybe this post will upset Mr. Toothpick, because there’s another proof that this thing wasnt QTs idea, but lets just wait… ;D

I’ve read that it’s a truelife story.

It’s taken from the Martin Scorsese short film American Boy.

It’s the story about the life of Steven Prince.He was the gun salesman in Taxi Driver!

Sadly I haven’t been able to see the Scorsese short films.

i am getting Taxi Driver Special Edition DVD tomorrow! what scene is it?

You can see Prince in the hotel room scene,where he brings a suitcase filled with guns to Robert Deniro.

But the scene from Pulp Fiction is only verbally told by Prince in the short film “American Boy”.It’s a movie where he tells stories from his life as a road manager,drug addict and actor.

I don’t have the Dvd of Taxi Driver myself,only the Criterion laserdisc.

The Laserdisc does have a fascinating commentary track by Scorsese and Paul Schrader though.

so does the dvd.

[quote]well if its the other way round, maybe it was QTs idea to exactly do it the other way round on purpose, dont you think?

great thing you brought that up

maybe this post will upset Mr. Toothpick, because there’s another proof that this thing wasnt QTs idea, but lets just wait… Ê;D[/quote]

Mr Toothpick here.

I havent seen Panic in Needle Park or American Boy. But I’ve heard about the Mia overdose sequence being inspired by Scorsese’s American Boy.

If your expecting me to flip out because QT took the idea from it, then your gonna be dissapointed. I KNOW QT steals ideas from other movies. But he brings something different to those ideas which is what makes the difference.

Its not a big deal, all artists steal ideas from their heroes. Its a common practice throughout history and its part of being an artist in any form, be it film, painting, music etc.

For example: Elvis took ideas from blacks and created his own sound.

Chuck Berry combined music he heard from others to create his own unique sound.

Scorsese took ideas from directors that came before him. Hes even said in many interviews that he always tells the younger directors just starting out to do what painters do, “look at the old masters, learn from them, emulate them but bring your own ideas to theirs and expand on them”.

Brian DePalma always takes things from Hitchcocks films and expands on them by bringing his own personality and ideas to them.

Its just good filmmaking really. It shows they recognize things that are great and they are imitating to pay tribute while being creative themselves.

As the old saying goes: “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”

damn i am PISSED!!

I just got the Collector’s Edition of Taxi Driver and it’s a kick-ass dvd but it has everything EXCEPT the damn audio-commentary.

fucking idiots at columbia! if its on the LD why can’t they put it on the DVD, too. now i will have to buy the fucker again if the re-release it with the AC. fucking shit

[quote]damn i am PISSED!!

I just got the Collector’s Edition of Taxi Driver and it’s a kick-ass dvd but it has everything EXCEPT the damn audio-commentary.

fucking idiots at columbia! if its on the LD why can’t they put it on the DVD, too. now i will have to buy the fucker again if the re-release it with the AC. fucking shit[/quote]

The laserdisc that Hogan is talking about is the one released by Criterion:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/mmathis/c … age-8.html”>http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/mmathis/criterion/catalogpage-8.html</LINK_TEXT>

Columbia has had access to Criterion’s special features before (Proof is in Columbia’s SE of Monty Python/Holy Grail which included the commentary from Jones & Gilliam) But yeah, it sucks that a deal wasn’t made between Criterion & Columbia for TAXI DRIVER.

Okay, since many haven’t seen it:

I only saw “Panic” once on HBO. The great thing about this film is the way they portray what happens when you begin experimenting with drugs. You only play around at first, here and there. Then you’re on week-long benders. When the money runs out, you’re desperate.

I cringe at the sight of needles, but this movie had me wiping my arms off!

In PF, they resurrect Mia with a syringe. We all know how it goes.

In Panic, they make Al Pacino vomit to bring him back. He’s not dead, just unconscious(sp?) and can halfway walk. Lines from this scene are “Well get him the fuck outta here!” and “My friends can handle their high!”. I don’t remember much else, as I haven’t seen the movie in 5 years.

And yes, good artists imitate, the great ones steal. :slight_smile:

[quote]Okay, since many haven’t seen it:

I only saw “Panic” once on HBO. The great thing about this film is the way they portray what happens when you begin experimenting with drugs. You only play around at first, here and there. Then you’re on week-long benders. When the money runs out, you’re desperate.

I cringe at the sight of needles, but this movie had me wiping my arms off!

In PF, they resurrect Mia with a syringe. We all know how it goes.

In Panic, they make Al Pacino vomit to bring him back. He’s not dead, just unconscious(sp?) and can halfway walk. Lines from this scene are “Well get him the fuck outta here!” and “My friends can handle their high!”. I don’t remember much else, as I haven’t seen the movie in 5 years.

And yes, good artists imitate, the great ones steal. :slight_smile:[/quote]

And to quote QT himself :

“ARTISTS DON’T DO ‘HOMAGES’ THEY FUCKIN STEAL IT BLIND!!” :slight_smile:

[quote]

And to quote QT himself :

“ARTISTS DON’T DO ‘HOMAGES’ THEY FUCKIN STEAL IT BLIND!!”  :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Yeaaaahhh! But... what happened with the QT's wannabes, like Guy Ritchie and others? Do they fit in this quote?
Buddy, I'm getting confused here!

The Panic in Needle Park is a Fantastic movie!!!

AL Pacino’s debut movie! If you haven’t seen it…RUN!

[quote]

Yeaaaahhh! But… what happened with the QT’s wannabes, like  Guy Ritchie and others? Do they fit in this quote?

Buddy, I’m getting confused here![/quote]

Good point. I wanna hear this as well.

[quote]

Good point.  I wanna hear this as well.  [/quote]

Maybe our compa toothpick is on vacation or something..!
No answer from him yet.
Arre!

[quote]

Mr Toothpick here.

I havent seen Panic in Needle Park or American Boy. But I’ve heard about the Mia overdose sequence being inspired by Scorsese’s American Boy.

If your expecting me to flip out because QT took the idea from it, then your gonna be dissapointed. I KNOW QT steals ideas from other movies. But he brings something different to those ideas which is what makes the difference.

Its not a big deal, all artists steal ideas from their heroes. Its a common practice throughout history and its part of being an artist in any form, be it film, painting, music etc.

For example: Elvis took ideas from blacks and created his own sound.

Chuck Berry combined music he heard from others to create his own unique sound.

Scorsese took ideas from directors that came before him. Hes even said in many interviews that he always tells the younger directors just starting out to do what painters do, “look at the old masters, learn from them, emulate them but bring your own ideas to theirs and expand on them”.

Brian DePalma always takes things from Hitchcocks films and expands on them by bringing his own personality and ideas to them.

Its just good filmmaking really. It shows they recognize things that are great and they are imitating to pay tribute while being creative themselves.

As the old saying goes: “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”
[/quote]

Ok, I needed to bump this topic up cause it pisses me off how stupid Toothpick has been lately.

I mean, right fucking there he says its OH FUCKING K to "steal" from other artists to make a better film. Now as some of you may know, there's been several topics where Toothpick has been calling films like MEmento, Lock STock & 2 Smoking Barrels, Snatch, and The Usual Suspects as [b]TARANTINO RIP-OFFS[/b]

So that made me wonder, what the fuck is going on here? Its [b]OK[/b] for Tarantino to steal ideas from other "artists", but other "Artists" can't steal from him?

I smell contradiction. A LOT OF CONTRADICTION.
And it amazes me Toothpick NEVER responded to this topic (like a lot of topics, people ask him why he thinks these things and he NEVER gives mature, smart, intelligent, valid responses. He just goes about saying he is right, you are wrong, Tarantino is GOD.)

In my opinion, Tarantino is my favorite director, but jesus fucking christ....I know what he does and doesn't do. What he does do is steal from a fuck load of movies, is that ok? Sure, i could care less...as long as its not too blatantly a rip off.

But SOME things are huge blatantly obvious rip-offs, like the one stated above about some Al PAcino movie. That sounds way too similar to the scene in Pulp. Whether Pulp's scene is better is not the issue, the issue is, why does Toothpick feel its ok for Tarantino to do that, but other director's can't have a fucking gangster movie have gangsters doing a bunch of gangster shit?

HEre's the other topics where I site my references to Toothpick calling other director's HACKS;

Guy Ritchie
http://tarantino.webds.de/cgi-bin/tarantino/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=ot;action=display;num=1056669679

Roger Avary
http://tarantino.webds.de/cgi-bin/tarantino/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=other;action=display;num=1065480713

I definitely noticed the contradictions too. Stick it to the man Kentucky, stick it to the man.