The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Ladders

Anyone else notice all the ladders? In at least seven scenes there’s a ladder in the background. Why? What’s the symbolism? Answer if you have noticed them and if you have any idea.

Well it’s a fucking warehouse generally there’s gonna be plenty of ladders in a warehouse

there’s lots of people in Reservoir Dogs too! Any symbolism in that??? huh? is there?

i kid i kid

iv seen Reservoir Dogs many many times and i havn’t even thought to look to see all the ladders lol…but if you think about it why would you be looking for ladders? lol just wondering :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Anyone else notice all the ladders?  In at least seven scenes there’s a ladder in the background.  Why?  What’s the symbolism?  Answer if you have noticed them and if you have any idea.[/quote]

Yes, I’ve noticed the same thing. I think there is a hidden message in it that very few people can decipher. It’s “Do not walk beneath ladders because serious harm may come to you”.

You know, it’s like in The RING when Naomi Watts watches that video with the falling CGI ladder and 2 days later she sees a ladder leaning up against a building, and she’s like “oh my fucking shit, it’s a symbol!”

…that’s all i got

Oh my fucking shit? Hey that’s a catchy original cuss phrase maybe you should copywright that.

Usually, symbolism, or at least the idea of it pisses me off because the majority of the time it’s just coincidence. The beauty of film-studies is to over-analyse movies and come out with a load of crap, so here’s my offering:

The frequent use of ladders in ‘Reservoir Dogs’ signifies the characters’ need to gradually come to a conclusion about their situations, step by step. Perhaps, each time a ladder is show they have moved up one step toward that conclusion.

::slight_smile: