Kill Bill Movie reference (please contribute)

I wasn’t referring to only the zoom. Watch Death Rides a Horse and then I think you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s the flashbacks when Uma sees her enemies that I’m referring to. I’m aware that QT’s use of the zoom was inspired by The Shaw Brothers.

[quote]“B-U-C-K” & “F-U-C-K” on Buck’s knuckles is similar to Robert Mitchum’s knuckles in Night of the Hunter reading “L-O-V-E” & “H-A-T-E”[/quote]

reminded me more of J-A-K-E in Blues Brothers

The House Of Blue Leaves scene reminds me of a scene in Fist Of Fury. When Uma gets surrounded and then there`s a quick overhead shot before all hell breaks loose. Plus in Fist Of Fury Bruce spins around in the centre of lots of guys hitting them with his nunchuku. Uma does the same but she uses a sword and cuts their feet off…

The Battle Royale references that I tried to find:

• Go Go’s stabbing scene is reminiscent of Chigusa’s in Battle Royale.
  • Go Go’s dialogue with The Bride is also reminiscent of Chigusa’s in Battle Royale. They aren’t direct copies of each other, but both had the message “Don’t underestimate me.”

ToothpickVega, you seen The Times UK Tarantino interview? I think he says it there… the thing about Kurosawa being crap…

Oh yeah I just seen a little through my Dressed To Kill DivX there I found one split screen, they are talking on the phone, not to each other, but the split screen is vertical, I don’t remember for sure but in kill Bill: Volume 1 isn’t there just a horizontal split-screen?

I’ll see Kill Bill actually for the first time in 2 hours. Here first screening ever in Denmark.

It’s vertical in kill bill.

Iron Monkey!

I just saw Kill Bill for the first time in 35mm in the biggest cienma in Scandinavia USA!

[quote]The Battle Royale references that I tried to find:

• Go Go’s stabbing scene is reminiscent of Chigusa’s in Battle Royale.
  • Go Go’s dialogue with The Bride is also reminiscent of Chigusa’s in Battle Royale.  They aren’t direct copies of each other, but both had the message “Don’t underestimate me.”[/quote]

Here’s hoping that due to the stateside exposure of Chiyaki Kuriyama (GoGo) that there will finally be a demand for a Region 1 release of Battle Royale. I know that you can get a copy of the film with a Region-free player, but fans in North America shouldn’t be kept away from this classic.

Im suprised that QT said that about Kurosawa. Anyone who knows movies as well as he does should know Kurosawa is the greatest director of all time.

Although then again his stuff isnt as action based as say the Blind Samurai stuff.

Quentin didn’t say that the Kurosawa Samurai movies were crap in the Time video-interview…

He just refereed 2 them as the Kurosawa carp, “not the Kurosawa crap�.. I think that in that context it was just a figure of speech and he didn’t mean to bash them…

there’s two versions of Battle Royale that are playable on Region 1 players. but you do have to order them. fuckin’ great film.

[quote]

Here’s hoping that due to the stateside exposure of Chiyaki Kuriyama (GoGo) that there will finally be a demand for a Region 1 release of Battle Royale. I know that you can get a copy of the film with a Region-free player, but fans in North America shouldn’t be kept away from this classic.
[/quote]

*Spelled Chiaki… difference between aki and yaki

Anyways, BR will never be released in the States simply due to student violence. Even if it did get distributed, it’d be hard to find as most stores would probably take it off the shelves from ignorant parent protests.

Nobody has mentioned the influence of “Lone Wolf and Cub 2 : Babycart at the river Styx” so far. In The Time video-interview Quentin says that it blew him away as a kid and a lot of Babycart is in Kill Bill. Q.T also talked about his love for “Lone Wolf and Cub” at the end of the Japattack Interview. Does anyone know what it is all about ?

[quote] Q.T also talked about his love for “Lone Wolf and Cub” at the end of the Japattack Interview. Does anyone know what it is all about ?[/quote]

Theyre really cool samurai films. Kill Bill was heavily influenced by them along with the films of Kinji Fukasaku and Takashi Miike.

The Japattack interview mentions “Road to Perdition” in connection with “Lone Wolf and Cub”. The imdb has it as well on their movie connections page for Lone Wolf …

In what way is "Road " a reference to " Lone Wolf "?

If QT hated Kurosawa, I seriously doubt he would have hosted a Kurosawa double feature of Seven Samurai and Yojimbo on IFC.

I have never seen road to perdition but from what i gathered in my long research of the movie (old commercials i remember and the movie box on IMDB) is RTP is about a hitman that wants out of the buz. LWAC is about a samurai who wants out of the protecting the emperor biz. There is a kid on the box so i assume it’s his. Lone Wolf and Cub is so because the lone wolf has a cub (aka son). Lone Wolf’s wife was killed by the emperors men so he went to kill him. I can say the same for RTP but i would assume so. LWAC is an execelent series of movies (6 i think). A much better adaptation is Shogun Assassin. That is the movie that Kill Bill resembles in a dismemberment and blood gushing aspect the most BAR NONE. (little Shogun Assassin tidbit: It was the first NC-17(or X-rated I can’t remember) movie not given the rating because of sex in the US.)

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but having read many of the reviews and the mention of seeing only parts of David Carradine and hearing only his voice reminds me of the old television show Charlie’s Angels where you only hear Charlie’s voice and you only get to see a part of him, never his face.

Of course that will change with Vol. 2 and I bet there is a whole bunch of references around David Carradine. With the Sword, “The Warrior and Sorceress,” (for his sword play there-he actually fought left handed because he broke his right hand while shooting the movie), of course playing the lead in Kung Fu (the television series and it’s spin off Kung Fu: The Legend Continues). There may be more, but I will have to wait and see the movie which I am planning on Wednesday.

(@

AJCrane

He reminded me more of “The Claw” from the Inspector Gadget cartoons. You see his arm or hear his voice, but never anything else. The part where he’s holding the sword is just so cool. I’m really glad qt decided to do that.

if you live in the US, the best way to get non-US DVDs is www.hkflix.com or www.cd-wow.net

1. get a credit card 2. get an all-regions dvd player 3. import what you want. :wink:

isnt Shogun Assassin edited together out of Lone wolf and cub stuff?