* Contains heavy spoilers for Once Upon A Time In America*
I recommend to watch the film before reading on, both for spoiler reasons and for the fact that it’s a great film. Anyways:
Is it just me or does these two films have A LOT in common? Obviously QT is a fan of Leone, and he can even be seen on the DVD extras, but there’s a lot more.
- Both films clock in at about 4 hours.
- Both films suffered for their lengths (OUATIA being edited down from 230 to 130 minutes, Kill Bill split in two films).
- Both premiered in Cannes in their full version, which was later restored.
- Both use a lot of images as opposed to dialogue (although the dialogue becomes more frequent in both throughout).
- Both are heavily unchronological.
- Both are epic films, but allow themselves to use very broad humour (the jokes in OUATIA were basically American Pie in the 30s).
- Both ends with an anti-climactic showdown between two close persons, where one of them betrayed the other in the past but ultimatily gives in or lets the other get close in the showdown. These two persons were also previously part of a group with strong bonds to each other.
- Both are extremely violent and use rape scenes for humour (although the last one in OUATIA is anything but funny).
- Both feature music by Ennio Morricone.
Maybe I’m outta my league. I’m now saying Tarantino ripped of Leone and anything, it just struck me how much they resembled each other. Opinions?