John Carpenter

I think Carpenter’s one of America’s best film makers emerging from the 70s. Though his career kinda sank in 90s he’s made a great selection of classics. Discuss.

I bought The Thing recently… i love that movie… I also saw his film from Masters of Horror called Cigarette Burns, it had its moments… hes made a few classics but a fair few bad ones…

Cant wait for his new movie Psychopath to come out.My favorite will always be Big trouble in little China.

The Thing is one of the greatest movies ever made IMO. Halloween is a horror classic and paved the way for the slasher genre. Big Trouble and Escape from NY kick huge amounts of ass. In The Mouth Of Madness and Vampires are extremely underrated (especially the former). He’s got some mediocre films like Ghosts of Mars and the Village Of The Damned remake, but on the whole, Carpenter is a filmmaker whose films I greatly enjoy.

[quote=“Scarface”]
The Thing is one of the greatest movies ever made IMO.
[/quote]

Yesssssss

[quote=“Scarface”]
He’s got some mediocre films like Ghosts of Mars and the Village Of The Damned remake, but on the whole, Carpenter is a filmmaker whose films I greatly enjoy.
[/quote]

I couldnt watch much of Ghosts of Mars calling it mediocre is a little Lenient…

Any movie with Natasha Henstridge kicking ass is worth watching all the way through at least once. :wink:

One of my favorite directors!

The Thing is one of the best horror films in the last 30 years no doubt. Ghosts of Mars was his only bad film (that I’ve seen) and it’s still 100x better than Resident Evil which I think came out the same year.

[quote=“Wu_shu”]
The Thing is one of the best horror films in the last 30 years no doubt. Ghosts of Mars was his only bad film (that I’ve seen) and it’s still 100x better than Resident Evil which I think came out the same year.
[/quote]

… i… cant really make the distinction when there both that bad…

Carpenter is really a one of a kind, as far as I am concerned he made 8/9 films that I can watch endlessly. Assault on precinct 13 is really one of my favorite films of all time… It will be screened in April at the french Cinematheque… I am waiting for almost 10 years to watch the opening credits on a huge screen!!

One of my favorite directors for sure. I though Ghosts of Mars was mildly entertaining. I’ve seen alot worse. I think many of the horror turds of today steal from him. Just watch Prince of Darkness.

Plus he the coolest music, or whatever you would call it.

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
One of my favorite directors for sure. I though Ghosts of Mars was mildly entertaining. I’ve seen alot worse. I think many of the horror turds of today steal from him. Just watch Prince of Darkness.

Plus he the coolest music, or whatever you would call it.
[/quote]

Ive only read a review of prince of darkness ( because its apart of the " apocalypse trilogy" ) How is it? Is it something i should defiantly see?

[quote=“Thousand Eyes”]
Ive only read a review of prince of darkness ( because its apart of the " apocalypse trilogy" ) How is it? Is it something i should defiantly see?

[/quote]

you should go an get a copy of it like…now!!

While I like Carpenter and his films from the 70’s (and Escape from NY/ Big Trouble…) I think he has made a lot of shit. His movies come down to this, you wither love it or hate it. I like The Thing, Escape from NY, Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween and Big Trouble in Little China.

Vampires could make a great double feature with FDTD actually. But then again noone wants to see double features at the movies anymore. :wink:

Yeah, James Woods is almost as badass as George Clooney in that one.

Love John Carpenter. He’s directing a movie staring Mr. Cage called Scared Straight. They’re in production right now. I can’t wait for it! I love all his movies accept They Live. The only thing I don’t like about some of his movies are that they are lit really really poorly.

has anyone else seen cigarette burns ( btw i did get prince of darkness right after i was told to do so in this topic )

[quote=“Snake Eyes”]
has anyone else seen cigarette burns ( btw i did get prince of darkness right after i was told to do so in this topic )
[/quote]

Yeah I’ve seen it, it was ok. A little campy for me.

cigarette burns has its moments ;D