Italian cinema, Hitchcock, Ford, and noir

I’ve recently been trying to watch alot of italian cinema, it started with the spaghetti westerns which I’ve probably seen about ten and have 15 more I really want to see, then it sprang from works of those directors, many went on to do gaillo, and zombie movies, and some even did cannibal movies.

One of my other phases currently is hitchcock, I’ve seen alot of hitchcock but have several I’d like to see.

And then there is Ford, working my way through his stuff slowly, but I love it all, bueatiful.

And I’ve been looking up alot about noirs, and have several of those I’d like to see.

The point I’m getting to is this

We all know SWs are heavily influenced by american westerns obviously, Leone shot OUATITW in monument valley due to Ford’s use of it, he also drew from several others, but I feel the one thing he got from JOhn ford was scope and cinematography. then others followed Leone and did thier own thing.

NOw after seeing DEep Red, and Twitch of the Death Nerve, I see a pattern with these, they have a definant Hitchcock, and maybe even noir feel to them. I wonder it Hitch is really the major influence for gaillo (I know it’s derived from thier pulp novels, but the style just seems to close). Does anyone know of any direct comments made by Argento or Bava about this? Are there any other major influences they note from other countries?

And last I’m very curious about the cannibal movies, I haven’t seen any yet but I intend on seeing at least 5 of them, it’s just so interesting that this was an entire sub-genre that never really got made here, I mean we got Texas chainsaw massacre, and Hills have eyes, wrong turn and even hannibal lecture, but nothing like what these movies sound like.

“This young Italian guy is starting to worry me.”

-Alfred Hitchcock about Dario Argento and his film Profondo Rosso (1975)

This doesn’t really have anything to do with what you’re asking. I just love this quote.

We all apperceive SWs are heavily afflicted by american westerns obviously, Leone attempt OUATITW in cairn basin due to Ford’s use of it, he aswell drew from several others, but I feel the one affair he got from JOhn ford was ambit and cinematography. again others followed Leone and did thier own thing.

Movie