Isn't that impossible?

Hiya! I was just wondering, remember the whole scene with the adrenaline injection? Is it really possible to pierce through a breastplate, and wouldn’t adrenaline straight to the heart kill you? That’s just what I heard, and I’d love to know if it was true if any of you know.

Thanks!

It ain’t even possible to stab someone violently with a syringe, cause the needle will just break. But hey, it’s a movie. It’s Pulp fiction. It’s all good.

Okay, cool. I was just curious because all my friends have been fighting over this. Thank you :slight_smile:

YES it is possible! This is on a health forum or something ->>>>> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/050218.html

“OK, this isn’t a 100 percent accurate depiction of what would actually occur. But here’s the thing: doctors honest to God do on (rare) occasion jab a big hypodermic of epinephrine, aka adrenaline, directly into the heart of someone who’s gone into cardiac arrest, a technique called intracardiac injection (ICI). If the patient is lucky she revives quickly–epinephrine is the fight-or-flight hormone that blasts through your system in moments of extremity. So there’s a grain of truth to the scene. But only a grain. Among the problematic details: (1) The heart isn’t beneath the “breastplate” (presumably Lance means the breastbone, or sternum–the heart is to the left of this), and in any case only a fool would try to force a needle through bone–you’d go between the ribs. (2) A cardiac arrest victim getting ICI doesn’t instantly jerk up like the alarm clock just went off–the heart might restart right away, but it would take a while to regain consciousness. (3) Mia’s problem probably isn’t cardiac arrest anyway–the immediate consequence of heroin overdose is severe respiratory depression. As long as her heart keeps beating, ICI is pointless. If Mia needs an injection of something, a plain old intravenous shot will work just fine, since her blood is still circulating. (4) Epinephrine wouldn’t sober up someone who was OD’ing. To neutralize heroin you’d administer a drug such as Narcan (naloxone), which blocks the opiate receptors in the brain and can bring a junkie back to earth in a matter of minutes.”

[quote=“Black Mamba!”]
YES it is possible! This is on a health forum or something ->>>>> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/050218.html

“OK, this isn’t a 100 percent accurate depiction of what would actually occur. But here’s the thing: doctors honest to God do on (rare) occasion jab a big hypodermic of epinephrine, aka adrenaline, directly into the heart of someone who’s gone into cardiac arrest, a technique called intracardiac injection (ICI). If the patient is lucky she revives quickly–epinephrine is the fight-or-flight hormone that blasts through your system in moments of extremity. So there’s a grain of truth to the scene. But only a grain. Among the problematic details: (1) The heart isn’t beneath the “breastplate” (presumably Lance means the breastbone, or sternum–the heart is to the left of this), and in any case only a fool would try to force a needle through bone–you’d go between the ribs. (2) A cardiac arrest victim getting ICI doesn’t instantly jerk up like the alarm clock just went off–the heart might restart right away, but it would take a while to regain consciousness. (3) Mia’s problem probably isn’t cardiac arrest anyway–the immediate consequence of heroin overdose is severe respiratory depression. As long as her heart keeps beating, ICI is pointless. If Mia needs an injection of something, a plain old intravenous shot will work just fine, since her blood is still circulating. (4) Epinephrine wouldn’t sober up someone who was OD’ing. To neutralize heroin you’d administer a drug such as Narcan (naloxone), which blocks the opiate receptors in the brain and can bring a junkie back to earth in a matter of minutes.”

[/quote]

Wow…hell of a lot of info! Thanks for lookin’ that up!

They played it backwards, so Vince actually pulled the syringe from her chest, they edited the sond on afterwards. I think this is on the commentary of the dvd. :wink:

Yeah thats how they bring back people theat who have OD’d I believe.

witty, i like it! woof

I read once on Wikipedia that it’s a pure joke, there’s no chance to save anyone ODing by stabbing him or her in the heart with more drug

I ain’t sure it’s accurate or even true but I read it

who gives a damn? it works in the movie, that’s what really matters

[quote=“visualsynergy”]
This place is really hostile. Can’t we just spread the love?
[/quote] You go first!

i thought tarantino lifted the idea from the scene of a scorcese movie? cant remember which one though ive seen the clip

Yeah, I think he did. The movie is “American Boy: Profile of Steven Prince.”

heres one why did he shoot marvin in the face?

[quote=“eazye”]
“Im sorry!” - Stuntman Mike

Knoxville…love your quote. Best damn line in the whole movie
[/quote]

I did love that part of the movie. Then we it screaming like a little bitch after the crash, classic.

You guys ever watch Trainspotting? Mark Renton gets a shot of adrenaline after he OD's at Mothers drug den.
[img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2076/trainspotyd7.gif[/img]

Not in the chest though

[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4062/trainspot3oc7.gif[/img]

[quote=“Knoxville Kingpin”]

I did love that part of the movie. Then we it screaming like a little bitch after the crash, classic.
[/quote]

It was hilarious seeing him like half out of his car in extreme agony, it almost seemed like a Simpsons moment. People were laughing their arse off at that scene.