Illegal Downloading - Yay or Nay?

well…since im 15, and this movie is going to be Rated R, i might have to see it with my dad (he hated Kill Bill, and when i asked him about Resivour Dogs, he said he never heard of it) or i might have to “see it for free”…WINK WINK

-----------------------------------------------

[color=blue]What is your opinion on illegally downloading movies?

[quote=“Mister Green”]
well…since im 15, and this movie is going to be Rated R, i might have to see it with my dad (he hated Kill Bill, and when i asked him about Resivour Dogs, he said he never heard of it) or i might have to “see it for free”…WINK WINK
[/quote]

DON’T do that! Go to the theater with a friend’s Dad, or, a Homeless dude (like in South Park). Don’t see it for free. Real fans don’t do that to movies they care about. Tell your Dad you wanna see this new WWII flick that’s coming out, and don’t mention QT, I bet he’ll go for it.

I agree with Geoi, not about the homeless dude… they can get knifey :stuck_out_tongue: It ruins a really great movie to be sitting there uncomfortably in front of your computer screen. I watched Milk on the internet and I wished I’d have seen it at a theater… so I went lol.

LOL! “knifey” ;D

yes and watching a film on the internet is, like, not very legal nor is it healthy for the industry. you can download freaky friday cause you definitly don’t want to give money to the people who made it (they are already robots anyway)… otherwise, as far as doing smg illegal, trying crack is more fun 8)

I have to disagree Tony, I really think that, as far as illegal activities go, dling movies is more fun than crack. And cheaper. :smiley:

near my house, you can get 3 rocks for the price of one, which is a pretty good deal >:D

by illegally downloading films you are depriving the film industry of much needed revenue revenue which can then be used to finance new movies good movies more experimental fims like Inglourious Basterds… with less revenue they are forced to resort films which are likely to make money but have little substance like Paul Blart Mall Cop…

By illegally downloading films you are comprising the future integrity of the American film industry… when you illegally download films you are screwing over Tarantino and all other film makers of his ilk … When you illegally download films you are in effect giving the middle finger to Tarantino and his films… Dont do it…

[quote=“nublob”]
by illegally downloading films you are depriving the film industry of much needed revenue revenue which can then be used to finance new movies good movies more experimental fims like Inglourious Basterds… with less revenue they are forced to resort films which are likely to make money but have little substance like Paul Blart Mall Cop…

By illegally downloading films you are comprising the future integrity of the American film industry… when you illegally download films you are screwing over Tarantino and all other film makers of his ilk … When you illegally download films you are in effect giving the middle finger to Tarantino and his films…
[/quote]

So what you’re saying is that we should illegally download films? ;D

To be honest, the movie industry isn’t doing as bad as you’d think due to downloading, the people complaining are like those kids on the playground who don’t want you to play with his bal… even though he’s not using it. But who wants to sit in their stuffy computer room watching movies on the tiny screen, the quality is often pretty shite as well.

If you want goods and services, you pay money for it. That’s a ground rule of our civilized society. When you go around that rule you are STEALING. That’s what downloding movies is: Stealing. I hate how amongst younger folks it’s “not a big deal” if you download a movie.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
To be honest, the movie industry isn’t doing as bad as you’d think due to downloading
[/quote]

are you kidding? the movie industry isn’t doing as bad as the music industry, but it suffered a lot from illegal downloading…

The MPAA sponsored a study in 2006 that estimated that movie piracy cost the US film industry $6 billion dollars in 2005. For comparison purposes, the US film industry took in around $9 billion dollars in revenue in 2007. The MPAA study may be biased and their $6 billion dollar figure somewhat inflated but you can’t ignore the fact that the US film industry is taking a hit from movie piracy.

the us film industry is not alone… smaller industries suffer from it a lot… and movie theaters are having a really hard time everywhere. cheers 8)

If you download independent and artsy/foreign films that you can easily buy on DVD then you’re an ass (I’m guilty), but even downloading hollywood popcorn bullshit, as much as I’d wish for them to not make money on that shit (too many stupid people out there, so that will neve rhappen), it’s still not legal. and by that i mean period, no more endorsing piracy in here, please

[color=red]Modified the text referring to this being off topic - Ify

you’re so wise seb… that’s why you is the boss here 8)

Whether it’s illegal or not doesn’t bother me. However, I do think it’s unethical. I rent a lot, and I rent from an independent video store near my house (that also has an amazing collection of movies and employees that are very passionate about film) quite often. I also go to the movies a lot, especially in the winter.

I HAVE in the past downloaded movies, and I do occasionally (but rarely) watch a few online if I simply can’t find them anywhere else. I admit it, but I don’t think it’s the right thing to do. However, if I can’t find a movie anywhere locally, I sometimes will download, but usually if I like the movie (which is often the case with these hard-to-find-movies) I’ll usually order the DVD online. I haven’t watched a single downloaded movie yet this year, and I might not watch one for the rest of the year.

HOWEVER, I do watch television shows online, and I wonder how you guys feel about that? Do you make a distinction, or is it all unethical? I don’t know to what degree this has affected television stations or the shows themselves, but I’m of the opinion that networks should host these shows on their own websites. This way they can still include commercials or other advertising, so they can still get revenue off these shows. I think it’s a new technology that they need to embrace full tilt instead of just hosting a handful of shows. I’d definitely watch a site like that rather than the other illegal streaming sites.

Hehe, sorry! This should definitely have it’s own section, as I think it’s an important topic!

I think that if you’re a filmmaker and someone wants to see your movie, then it really shouldn’t matter how they see it, just that they did. But as much as I hate to say it, movies are a business and illegally downloading is siphoning off money that would benefit the industry. But the movies that are frequently downloaded are usually the bigger movies that come out, the movies that tend to make more money anyway. I also find that a lot of people I know, who download movies tend to download movies that they’re not sure will be worth spending their money on, which goes back to the fact that movies are so mass produced and cookie cutter. It’s really a give and take. Most people would be more apt to spend the money if they were surer that the movies were worth the cost of admission.

I download everything! That is my way of bringing down Hollywood. Robbing the rich and giving to me!

MUH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH0HAH!