Humphrey Bogart's best performance ever

Many of you would say that Casablanca is Boggie’s best. But if you ask me John Huston’s Treasure Of The Sierra Madre was the best fucking performance ever given by an actor. Just the way he begins to lose it, the way greed takes over his soul and fear of returning to a life of destitution which he knows very well and hates. I was watching it again last night and I found myself completely mesmerized by it.

I took it apart for a little excercise of my own:

Three act structure: “Treasure Of The Sierra Madre”

• John Huston

Act I:

Humphrey Bogart in destitution/beggar. (Lottery ticket st-up)

Works oil rig. 8 minutes in

swindled. bar fight

flop house: (prospecting) 12 minutes in - “I know what gold does to men’s souls"

Bar fight/ flop house: Put it there partner” 21 min. (PP I) (l. ticket payoff)

Note: The characters amass over 600 dollars in order to seek new vocation as prospectors. Oil rig workers/Lottery ticket/Old Timer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fade out

"I’ll blow you to kingdom come"

Act II: (1)

Train robbed by bandits.

Buying donkeys/supplies. 24 min in

Herding into the mountains

Want some beans? 30 min

Gold discovery: “Mine it and get it back there” 32 min

Dividing gold: 34 min. (character change)

golden dreams: 40-43 min.

restless sleep, paranoid. (character change)43-45

hidden loot: (character change) 45-50

into the village 50 -54

night camp: “no vacancies, understand?”: 54-59

New partner?: 59: 1:03

Bandits/saved by Federales: 1:03 - 1:13 – Midpoint of ACT II

ACT II ------------------------------------------------------------(2)

Dead stranger: 1:13 - 1:16

Leaving for good: 1:17 - 1:18

1/4 of gold - dead boy: 1:18 - 1:22

Revival: 1:22 - 1:25

Road to town/ “see you in Durango”: 1:25 - 1:28

Camping: 1:28 - 1:34 (MAJOR character change) "I know you for what you are"

Sleepless/ Sound Asleep: 1:34 - 1:40

crawling/gone: 1:40 - 1:44

The good life/ Hunt for Dobsy: 1:44 - 1:47

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACT III:

Death by bandits (PP II): 1:47 - 1:54

Selling burros: 1:54 - 1:57

bandit execution: 1:57 - 1:58

On the trail/gold in the wind: 1:58 - 2:05

"The gold has gone back to where we found it"

THE END - 02:03 - (123-125 pgs)

The structure of this is fucking perfect, a genuine masterpiece. And yes I came up with the creative little titles.

On a side note look for John Huston’s brief cameo as the man in the white linen suit. This man was just a tremendous filmmaker, the way he uses sardonic humor in both The Maltese Falcon and Treasure…

Oh, and also I’d recommend you guys to watch “Gaslight” which is like the best Ingrid Bergman performance ever! She’s the best actress ever bitchez! Intermezzo: A Love Story is also very sweet.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is sure an excellent movie and better imo too than Casablanca. About Ingrid Bergman, she has always been somehow under-recognized while actress like Audrey Hepburn got too much recognition.

i got to watch tresure of sierra madre again…i love humphrey bogart, but im not sure if he is my favorite actor; i think its either him or Brando…

Brando did a lot great stuff with Elia Kazan, but me I like James Dean better than Marlon for various reasons. The primary reason is that James Dean embodied the rock n’ roll culture - he changed cinema significantly with East Of Eden and Rebel Without A Cause, and if you look at Giant - James played Jett Rink, (a simple ranch caretaker that inherits a piece of land in a will, and strikes oil, and ultimately becomes one of the richest men in the US) you can see he was going to be one of the greatest actors in cinema - not that he isn’t now, but only god knows what other great work lied ahead of him. He was only 23 years old and he nailed the role! I won’t forget that last scene of him - in a large room, drunk off his ass and alone. Then he begins to whimper like a child. His character had a Citizen Kane aspect to him.