House of 1000 Corpses

Saw this last night and I was it really blew my expectations away.  So much better than I thought it was going to be.  Rob Zombie is showing homage and maybe trying to bring back that 1970’s style, Last House on the Left-TCM-grindhouse movie.  Definatly check this out if you’re a fan of 70’s horror because this shouldn’t dissapoint you.  If you can, see it. ÂÂ

It was either House of 1000 Corpses or Anger Management last night. I saw Anger Management. It was not as funny as Old School. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO ADAM SANDLER??!

We may never get to see gore/exploitation icons like Bill Moseley and Sid Haig together on the big screen again. And for that reason alone, I might give this a look when/If I get the chance.

But I haven’t heard a whole lot of praise for HOUSE/CORPSES. Mostly due to the fact that Zombie had to edit a lot of stuff out for an R rating. True fans will have to wait the Unrated DVD’s release.

So far the reviews for House havent been too good. I can appreciate any film that has the great Sid Haig in it, but I don’t think I’m gonna see this one in the theater. I’ll definitely give it a look when it comes to DVD though.

What exploitation films do get positive reviews when first released? All gore fests are ignored, forced to censor etc… this film seems like it might be fun…

What high profile “70’s gore fests” have there been recently? From Dusk Till Dawn?

[quote]What exploitation films do get positive reviews when first released? All gore fests are ignored, forced to censor etc… this film seems like it might be fun…

What high profile “70’s gore fests” have there been recently? From Dusk Till Dawn? [/quote]

You have a point Spin. I shouldn’t be so quick to judge this flick. I let my “inner film snob” take over for a minute there. You gotta admit, Rob Zombie is cool to be doing something for the gore movie geeks, not just for the box office revenue. To be honest, it looks like the type of movie that may have a chance at becoming a new cult classic. We’ll see. :slight_smile:

Well, I seen it a while back, and even if it was chopped to bits by the censors, I still wasn’t blown away. It takes more than just gore to make a good horror film. I do think it will likely become a cult film and I can actually understand why because it’s a fairly fun flick to watch, but it didn’t blow me away that’s for sure. Sid Haig was the best part of the film, I almost wish there was a Captain Spaulding spinoff. Sadly, Bill Mosely was a real let down. It was like a more laid back and less threathening Choptop, at least that’s what I got from him.

Still, I did enjoy it and it will likely develop a audience over time. I look forward to Zombie’s next film, if there is one.

Been away from the board for a while. I was outta town for the last five days. Very little activity around here lately…

Anyway, I caught “House Of 1000 Corpses” last night at the ghetto movie theater (the same theater in which I saw “Malibu’s Most Wanted”). Quite frankly, I don’t understand why people are/were givin’ this movie such bad reviews. I thought it was fuckin’ awesome.

A breath of fresh air for the horror genre in general and a resurrection of the splatter genre in particular. So it’s a rip-off/homage of other films. Who gives a shit? I don’t. Originality be damned!

It was great laughin’ at most of the parts that nobody else was laughin’ at. The dialogue is hilarious, and some of it isn’t supposed to be, but it’s still funny as hell. It was violent, bloody, and campy and featured actors, as many of you know, from some of the best 70’s and 80’s grindhouse films ever made. And if that’s not enough, the squeaky-voiced, so-annoyingly-voiced-she’s-fuckin’-sexy-as-fuck, Sheri Moon is in the film…AND “Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue” can be heard in one scene, performed none other than THE RAMONES, which, as of Wednesday, July 2nd, 2003, 10:40 PM, Eastern Standard Time, are STILL the BEST BAND EVER!

Blood, guts, hilarity, the Ramones, Sheri Moon, Sig Haid, Bill Mosley, Tom Towles…this film was great. Can’t wait for the DVD so I can OWN the motherfucker…

M.W.

P.S. – Quote of the night…

AFTER THE MOVIE WAS OVER…

Audience Member: Well, that was the worst movie ever made.

Mickey Worley: (Scoff). You’re fuckin’ stupid.

HAHA.

I overheard someone after I saw Phone Booth:

"If you think about it, this movie really sucked, everything took place in a phone booth."

I should have smacked her silly…

one of the best and most stylish hixploitation movies I have ever seen. A totally underrated modern classic

I agree 100%. This film is awesome. I heard that Rob Zombie is now going to become a director and forget about the music thing. He said singing was just a hobbie but he actually wants to start directing alot of movies now. I think this is awesome. I also heard that ( sadly ) we won’t see a director’s cut of House of 1000 Corpses. But he is making a sequel to it called Devil’s Rejects that will be more brutal than House of 1000 Corpses. Sid Haig will get more violence in this one I heard. AWESOME!!!

Quite literally my least favorite movie ever. But I’m glad you guys enjoyed it.

One of my favorite parts is when it’s the beginning of the movie and Sid Haig has just killed the robbers and the kids come into his shop and he’s wiping up the blood. And when Sid Haig was acting like he was going to kill bill and then he goes, " I’m just fuckin with ya "

House of 1000 Corpses literally sunk TCM 2 as far as Bill Mosely is concerned. I mean, damn, Leatherface has been turned into a perv instead the remorseless child-like killing machine of the legendary original and the lead lady in TCM 2 can not act worth spit. Terrible film, and Ho1000C simply capitalized in some regards.

its funny how TCM is one of the best movies ever and TCM2 is one of the worsed ever, in any genre

House of 1000 Corpses was awesome, im a 1970’s horror geek, im all into it, and this movie brought it back, the atmosphere, how the tension is being build up, everything, i love it

Not even the presence of Dennis Hopper can redeem the morass crap that is TCM 2. Yes, it put Mosely name on the map for cult and horror film buffs. And what was Tobe Hooper thinking when he dreamt up this sequel of his own grand and pivotal masterpiece. I mean even TCM 2’s theatrical poster spoof send-up of the BREAKFAST CLUB is 80s lame-O.

There is no comparision, House of a 1000 Corpses is one of my current most viewed films and can never get enough of it. I want to shake Rob Zombie hand and tell him what a significant contribution he made to the genre that has largely infertile creatively since the 90s. I am also a 70s horror buff, love Black Christmas, Halloween, TCM, Let’s Scare Jessica To Death, Deranged, Profondo Rosso, etc. This was a renaissance of bold and exploitive film-making Hollywood will probably never, ever see again. But thanks due to revisionists such QT, we can catch a glimpse of this pioneer film making of yesteryear.

On the Region 0 Tartan DVD, Zombies commentary & soundtrack is over a minute out of sync, it’s annoying…

for any fans, the screenplay is a must read! this is a early draft with deleted scenes an all… House of 1000 Corpses (2003) movie script - Screenplays for You

Interesting Fact: The actors that played Dr. Satan - Walter Phelan & The Professor - Jake McKinnon, are both Credited as ‘Monsters’ in From Dusk Till Dawn, and Jake’s even playing ‘Big Bird’ in Little Nicky.

I never understood the point of this film. Its characters are shallow and completely insane. I know it follows a similar narrative as the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but overall its a total waste of time. This whole movie is like one big music video clashed into a “film”. Now, I can’t say the same about its sequel ( Devil’s Rejects) wich is by far a much superior film than House Of 1000 Corpses.