Hopkins To Play Hitchcock

Who better to play the Master of Suspense than the man behind cinema’s scariest psycho? Hannibal Lecter, or Anthony Hopkins as he prefers to be known, has confirmed to MTV.com that he will play Alfred Hitchcock in an upcoming biopic, to be directed by Ryan Murphy (Running With Scissors).

Hopkins also told the site that the film will open with the making of Psycho. There’s a video interview on the site, but we can’t watch it because it’s only accessible to viewers in the US (because the internet isn’t a global commodity or anything, sheesh). If anyone can view it then please feel free to add any extra info in the comments section below.

Hopkins seems like a great choice for Hitchcock. He hasn’t quite got that beaky, chinny look, but a few months on an all pasta diet could probably sort that out. It’s also good news that Murphy’s using the making of Psycho as the backdrop. If this is to delve into the director’s slightly odd ways, including his (rather creepy) obsession with blondes, then Psycho seems the perfect place to do it, with stories of his leering over Janet Leigh’s shower scene. Rumours are also circulating that Helen Mirren might play Hitchcock’s wife.

Murphy’s got the fifth season of his TV show Nip/Tuck to work on, as well as developing Dirty Tricks with Brad Pitt and Need with Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts, so it may be some time before this shoots.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21318

Horrible news! Hopkins ain’t that great, he sure doesn’t convey a fat creepy guy. Too bad Albert Finney is too old.

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=psycho1960

Check out this great Psycho trailer. Not like today’s trailers. A bit of a spoiler if you haven’t seen the film though.

OMG! terrible news!

[quote=“HostOfThreads”]
Horrible news! Hopkins ain’t that great, he sure doesn’t convey a fat creepy guy. Too bad Albert Finney is too old.

[/quote]

I never thought of Hitch as creepy.

Give Hopkins a chance before you jump to conclusions people. I mean, it’s Hopkins we’re talking about not Freddie Prinze Jr.

ahaha right.

hitchcock was a very creepy guy… but that is what made his film all the better!

How was he creepy? It’s an honest question, I don’t really know. I’ve seen many of his films but know little of his personal life except for the fact that he treated his actors like shit.

well it seems that he was really obsessed with Janet Leigh (he was sexually obsessed in general but the most famous case is with her)… when she turned him down (not very surprising) he did all he could to hurt her career. there is also the story when he offered to Janet Leigh’s daughter (Melanie Griffith) a small coffin with a small doll inside that was a replica of one character she was playing for him. there are a lot of stories like this about him

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
well it seems that he was really obsessed with Janet Leigh (he was sexually obsessed in general but the most famous case is with her)… when she turned him down (not very surprising) he did all he could to hurt her career. there is also the story when he offered to Janet Leigh’s daughter (Melanie Griffith) a small coffin with a small doll inside that was a replica of one character she was playing for him. there are a lot of stories like this about him
[/quote]

You mean Janet Leigh or Tippi Hedren? Cause Melanie Griffith’s mother is Tippi Hedren.

The coffin story is pretty creepy alright.

right right my bad tippi hedren

i read the coffin story in a melanie griffith itw when she did body double

They should get Bob Hoskins to play the role

i don’t even think it is useful to do this film… remember the fiasco that Chaplin was?

that’s true, there’s no use of making this movie; there’s already many documentaries about hitchcock