Help me make my film!

hi everyone!

okay, i’m about to start making a film. it’s not my first film but its probably my most ambitious. the other films i have made are pretty professional looking, but if my plan works this could look brilliant. but i need youre help…

i dont have a budget and, with your help, i won’t need one…

the working title is ‘FROM SPACE’ and its kind of a sci-fi drama, but involving very little sci-fi. its basically a dialogue driven piece about a group of friends and how they react to an alien invasion. the actual invasion takes the backseat and the whole film is pretty much based aroud these four people, stuck in a flat, and what they do when they think a full scale war of the worlds is about to erupt.

the whole thing takes place in the flat, with only a couple of shots of ufos thru the window. im only 22 and i live in the north of england so i know that trying to make an independence day thing is completely stupid. imagine richard linklater directing hitchcocks ‘rope’ set in the north of england with aliens and you’ve pretty much got the idea.

i can do the ufo sfx shots (of which there are only a couple) but here’s where i need your help…

towards the end of the film, there are some shots of ufos in the skies above major cities, ie. new york, paris, london etc. obviously i have neither the budget or time to jet around the world filming five second shots for a no-budget film. so im asking YOU to get them for me. if you live in a major city anywhere in the world, or near any famous landmarks ie. stonehenge, statue of liberty, the hollywood sign, eiffel tower etc. OR if youre going on holiday or something to any of these places AND you have a digital video camera and an eye for a good shot, then shoot it for 30 seconds and send it to me! if you want a quick cameo then get a shot of yourself looking up at the sky like theres a huge ufo there and if it looks good enough, i might use it. (i come from the ed wood / robert rodriguez school of filmmaking)

now, i cant pay anyone but i will send your tapes back to you, thank you in the credits and send you a copy of the finished film with a few other ‘from space’ goodies as well!

if i read this post, i’d like to think i’d do it, so go on… lets give it a try and see if i, with your help, can make an awesome film for NO money!!

thanks for reading all this and if your interested email me at the_king_of_insubordination@yahoo.co.uk

title the e-mail ‘FROM SPACE’ and all you should write on it is your name, age, sex, location and a quick hello.

thanks again

simon ;D

Hey, Simon, wanna know what will make your film great? Don’t show the UFOs in other cities. You’re saying the film is about a group of friends stuck on a flat, right? Why should they care what’s going on in other cities? Focus your film on them and only them. Don’t pull an Independance Day or a Signs by showing the big ship over big cities.

[quote=“SteveZissou”]
Hey, Simon, wanna know what will make your film great? Don’t show the UFOs in other cities. You’re saying the film is about a group of friends stuck on a flat, right? Why should they care what’s going on in other cities? Focus your film on them and only them. Don’t pull an Independance Day or a Signs by showing the big ship over big cities.
[/quote]
I agree

i kind of agree as well but if you read the script, it will definately work.

i didnt add these big city bits til like the 3rd draft but now i really think they’ll work.

thanks a lot for your thughts though.

if no-one gets back to me then i guess i’ll do it without, but if it won’t be a hell of a lot of trouble it’d be brilliant if you guys’d help out…

and i’ll tell you what, i’ll do an edited version without the ufo’s just for you guys and you can make up your mind then!

thanks again for your criticisms (spelling?)

simon :laugh:

ps. im honestly not thinking of making a sci fi epic, its just, well, the best way to say it would be to watch (if you havent already) Val Guest’s film The Day the Earth caught Fire from i think 1960 or 1961. the end of that should indicate how mine will work.

;D

DOnt show the UFOs jsut show the lights and shadows and that would be excellent! Leave the imagination to decide.

Totally take advantage of great sound and lighting to fill in for visual effects like war, ufos and aliens. A radio would be sweet too. Or an outside contact like a friend that gets trapped out side on their cellphone and the cellphone goes out or something.

Damn … ancient post