Grindhouse May Not Open in UK

Could be some bad news for our friends on the other side of the pond.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.showbizspy.com/2007/04/26/eu … -in-doubt/”>http://www.showbizspy.com/2007/04/26/european-cinematic-release-for-grindhouse-in-doubt/</LINK_TEXT>

Which is why I’m gonna watch it online.

I’m seriously pissed about this.

I don’t blame you.

Its sorta ridiculous that just because it didnt do great here they wouldnt release it in Europe. QT deserves to have his film put out there regardless of whether its not a smash hit. Jeezus.

That type of shit is lame. You just stop supporting someone if theyre not number 1 every time? Talk about a bunch of two faced chumps.

That sucks.

Why wouldn’t they release it in the UK? All the other flops get released regardless of how they performed in the US, why is this any different? Are they gonna just piss on the advertising they made in the UK so far? Man, i’m seriously confused and pissed off.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Why wouldn’t they release it in the UK? All the other flops get released regardless of how they performed in the US, why is this any different? Are they gonna just piss on the advertising they made in the UK so far? Man, i’m seriously confused and pissed off.
[/quote]

The distributors of the movie do not want to take on the risk of promoting and distributing a movie that seems destined for obvious financial failure. They are in this for the money and could care less who made the movie. Its a question of money simple as that. If the Weisteins feel that they misshandled something on the american end, they do have more than enough the money to buy back the distribution rights and release this movie themselves anyway they want to in Europe. If they dont do so then that should tell you that even they have no confidence in the whole grindhouse theme anymore.

they release any old crap in england! seriously, when i was a student films were only £2 a tkt and i saw EVERYTHING that came out one year… ‘slap her shes french’ still sends shivers down my spine. I think these are just bullshit rumours, itd be incredibly stupid not to give a tarantino film a cinematic release, even QT himself said that he made it here in the uk first with reservoir dogs beings londons number one flick even though it wasnt in the odeons. anything he does gets mass press coverage over here so this has got to be complete bollocks. it makes no sense whatsoever. i mean jackie brown didnt do THAT great in america in its cinema run did it? but that still came out over here with full on promotion

come to think of it, i reckon the reason people in the media are making such a big deal about it is revenge on the weinsteins, you know like a ‘fuck you’ after all their years of domination - they havent had that much success with their new venture and with their two biggest assets failing to do the business its knives out. i very much doubt its a lack of confidence in the tarantino brand

If they release it, just go see it. Thats all you can do. :slight_smile:

[quote=“savage_henry”]

come to think of it, i reckon the reason people in the media are making such a big deal about it is revenge on the weinsteins, you know like a ‘fuck you’ after all their years of domination - they havent had that much success with their new venture and with their two biggest assets failing to do the business its knives out. i very much doubt its a lack of confidence in the tarantino brand
[/quote]

Last i checked those same people in the media all gave Grindhouse such glowing reviews thats its even more stunning that the movie completely flopped here in America. So lets not be quick to use them as the scapegoat.

Also i opined in my earlier post that if the Wiesteins feel like they are getting a raw deal, they do have more than enough money to buy back the distributions…(would probably even get them cheaper than they sold them in the first place) and distribute the movie themselves in the uk and other territories. They deal first hand with Tarantino and his success can be a secret to them. This is something they can still consider and employ. If they dont do it, well then is speaks volumes about their confidence in Tarantino. (Afterall , it was his movie people were walking out on not RR)

People in the UK: Just go see Grindhouse when its released. Dont put yourselves through a big ordeal in here. Dont let trolls get your spirits down either.

Keep the faith guys.

critics arent going to give bad reviews to a movie just coz the weinsteins fund it, a good movie is a good movie. what im saying is, all these reports basically make out that grindhouse has bombed in europe even before its been released there! its rubbing salt in the wounds

I am definitely going to go watch this when it comes out here in the UK, might even go more than once if it’s that good. (I’ve only ever seen two films more thna once at the cinema; Revenge of the Sith and The Departed).

[quote=“savage_henry”]
critics arent going to give bad reviews to a movie just coz the weinsteins fund it, a good movie is a good movie. what im saying is, all these reports basically make out that grindhouse has bombed in europe even before its been released there! its rubbing salt in the wounds
[/quote]

I dont get what you mean when you say that critics dont give a movie good reviews just because the wiensteins funded it.

Because in this case they gave it good reviews. You cant turn around and say its the news papers killing the movie. Those critics work for the papers.

And regarding the reports of the movie being on hold, those were the news releases from the distribution company itself that stated that they had done test screenings that were totally disastrous. Why would a distribution company give such fodder to a new paper so that the papers could spread word that the movie is that bad? Shouldnt you blame the distributors or filmakers before you leap on the messengers?

[quote=“Ify”]
I am definitely going to go watch this when it comes out here in the UK, might even go more than once if it’s that good. (I’ve only ever seen two films more thna once at the cinema; Revenge of the Sith and The Departed).
[/quote]

Goodluck, i really hope for your sake that the Weinsteins at least have the back bone to do the right thing and buy back those distributions rights from that company, and distribute it themselves.

tick tick tick tick

I am beyond being pissed at the moment. Looks like the same is happening here in Australia and honestly if they are not going to release it theatrically I wish they would just hurry up and get the DVD out and stop jerking me around.

It would be hilarious and depressing if Grindhouse came out on dvd in less than a year, after waiting 8 years for Kill Bill.

[quote=“greendestiny”]

I dont get what you mean when you say that critics dont give a movie good reviews just because the wiensteins funded it. [/quote]

Well, thats probably because i said that critics wouldnt give BAD reviews just coz the weinsteins funded it. As regards to official press releases from distributors, they only said:

'A spokesman for the film’s British distributors, Momentum Pictures, said: “We’re reviewing the release date and the release plans in the UK.

“It will definitely be released here, but we don’t know in what form.â€