The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

GREAT ear for music

soundtrack
music

I was just thinking over all of Tarantino’s films after I saw Death Proof (for the second times in theatres ;D) and I can’t believe how good of an ear he has for great and very rare music. Examples:

Death Proof - “Chick Habit” by April March - A song you probably wouldn’t here if QT hadn’t used it. The artist is actually French and sings in that language normally but recorded this and a few others in English.

Jackie Brown - “Across 110th Street” by Bobby Womack - Great, very addictive song that takes two different meanings or atmosphere’s when used at the start and end of the movie.

Reservoir Dogs - “I Gotcha’” by Joe Tex - One of the most memorable songs from any of QT’s films.

Obviously there are tons more but I just thought I’d mention a few that stick out in my mind. What songs (from a QT movie :stuck_out_tongue:) were particularly rare, memorable or just plain great in your eyes?

On top of that, a lot of the songs he picks come out of the shadows and become popular again. Steeler’s Wheel - Stuck in the Middle With You is a prime example. Of course, Dick Dale’s Miserlou and Son of a Preacher Man were popular anyhow. I’d say that the best song that QT has ever chosen is that re-make of Neil Diamond’s Girl, You’ll be a Woman Soon

I think his best choice will always be Little Green Bag. I could listen to that on repeat all fucking day.

I agree with Ezekiel, I would never have heard of Chick Habit if QT hadn’t used it dor DP…this song kicks ass!

same thing with Misirlou and Stuck in the Middle witcha!

Best choise with no doubt is Misirlou. Also very very good ones he chosed:

Little Green Bag

Stuck In The Middle With You

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

Battle without Honor or Humanity