Godard slams QT

Legendary director Jean-Luc Godard has hit out at Quentin Tarantino - one of his biggest admirers - for using the title of one of his 1960s films without financially rewarding him. Maverick film-maker Tarantino took the name Band A Parte (Band Of Outsiders) from the New Wave icon’s 1964 movie and used it as the name for his production company. But Breathless filmmaker Godard, 74, is less than impressed by the Pulp Fiction director’s intended flattery. He says, “Tarantino named his production company after one of my films. He would have done better to give me some money.”

source:imdb.com

personally, i think thats bullshit. godard should thank QT. after all, how does Qt profit from how he named his company? i’d even say that QT’s naming his company after that film helped the selling of that film on DVD

I heard about this long ago! I can’t remember where,

It was a interview with Goddard, and it was just Said In Jest.

I heard about this too, I bought the ‘Bande A Part’ DVD because of QT (and loved it) and it said in there some where (I think) the Godard said it, it was definitely a joke!

I don’t know if it’s a joke, but Godard really doesn’t care of QT at all. Last year when QT was in Cannes, he made a little message for Godard (who was there for the promotion of a new movie). Godard goes to a french show, and see the little video. He looks then bored, whereas QT was overexciting (like everytime). And Godard hadn’t said “thank you” or “I appreciate”, no, he said directly : “what the next question ?”… So don’t think he really appreciate QT…

That sucks. Godard was one of Tarantino’s biggest influences. I would have never expected this of Godard, that’s quite shocking, he’s one of my favourite directors, I thought he was in the buisness for making movies, not for the money. Dissapointing. :’(

Maybe this is a good thing…I mean QT’s head is getting pretty big…

I dont know if all the extra’s are the pretty much the same…but in the reservoir dogs interview QT says he kinda outgrow Godard…

I think thats a huge slap in the face…like he is better than godard without showing respect…

I mean Godard is a legend…show some respect :slight_smile:

I got what QT meant by saying it…that he was focusing on some other things now and that he is thinking about doing and trying other things and evolving…but in the way he delivered that he showed zero respect to Godard and some other great directors…

Godard strikes back…hopefully there is gonna be a return of the QT :stuck_out_tongue:

Fancy a good laugh?

IMDb: Ratings, Reviews, and Where to Watch the Best Movies & TV Shows

A wonderful debate on the lines of:

Youse guys stink!

Fuck you, you stink!

You’re an @$$hole!!!

Fuck you! You deserve to die!

I hope you get murdered fuckwit!

[quote]Hey, Jean-Luc, have you made a decent movie in the last half-century? I think not. [/quote] - shut up.

Some of these people don’t realise that if there was no Godard there would be no Scorsese, Tarantino etc.

But really, those type of people are the worst kind on IMDb, I mean, who wins in an argument on a message board? It’s just stupid.

Damn flamers. shakes fist

But I did start probably the biggest flame war in the history of flame wars on the music boards on imdb. Now that was funny.

The only person who has made worthwhile contributions to the Internet Movie Database is Howard Schumann. I came across his name when reading his review for Alain Resnais’s Holocaust documentary ‘Nuit Et Brouillaird’. The name struck me as familiar. I think he presented an excellent BBC television series on cinema called ‘Moving Pictures’ which featured a report on the making of ‘Pulp Fiction’. When the credits rolled we were treated to a candid clip of Tarantino telling his crew that ‘Moving Pictures’ was the best programme on cinema that he has ever seen.

Anyway here is his ‘Message Board’ profile:

howard.schumann's Profile - IMDb

“An infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters? That’s the internet, surely?”

[quote]
personally, i think thats bullshit. godard should thank QT. after all, how does Qt profit from how he named his company? i’d even say that QT’s naming his company after that film helped the selling of that film on DVD[/quote]

Disagree. Godard had been around long before QT. I actually feel QT’s films hurt the source material, because the average person thinks QT’s “original”, and don’t bother watching the films which inspired his work. The only way a director like Godard will benefit is from people who were already familiar with his work.

cyber: Don’t really blame Godard. He never won a Palme d’Or when his films were in competition, but a guy who ripped off his material automatically gets one.

j_c: I would’ve expected it of Ringo Lam. ::slight_smile:

I kinda get you, but I don’t know if I do.

Explain yourself! :wink:

Godard: Awards:

Year Result Award Category/Recipient(s)

2001 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Éloge de l’amour (2001)

1990 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Nouvelle vague (1990)

1987 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Aria (1987)

Shared with:

Robert Altman

Bruce Beresford

Bill Bryden

Derek Jarman

Franc Roddam

Nicolas Roeg

Ken Russell

Charles Sturridge

Julien Temple

1985 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Détective (1985)

1982 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Passion (1982)

1980 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Sauve qui peut (la vie) (1980)

Quentin Awards:

1994 Won Golden Palm

for: Pulp Fiction (1994)

1995 Won Oscar Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Shared with:

Roger Avary

Nominated Oscar Best Director

That’s gotta be a real bitch.

what about independent spirit awards etc? i mean cant compare cannes to oscars, as clarence put it: ‘most of the movies that win oscars are geriatric coffee table shit’. or something like that, whereas cannes is more genuine.

oh, godards just slammed him in another new interview (the ‘he should pay me’ quote was from years ago). his new movie sounds excellent though

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://film.guardian.co.uk/interview/in … 94,00.html”>'Cinema is over' | Movies | The Guardian</LINK_TEXT>

Nor is Godard especially flattering about the legions of admirers who make reference to him in their own movies or even name their companies after him. Quentin Tarantino, for example, calls his production company A Band Apart, in deference to Godard’s 1964 classic, Bande àPart. “He says he admires me, but that’s not true,” Godard muses, then makes a cryptic remark about the torture and humiliation of prisoners by US guards in Iraq. “What is never said about Tarantino is that those prisons we are shown pictures of, where the torture is taking place, are called “reservoir dogs”. I think the name is very appropriate.”

what the fuck is THAT supposed to mean?! to be fair to quentin, it seems from every interview with him ive read that godards hates most movies

I think that Goddard has earned the right to say whatever he wants without a bunch of fanboys disrespecting him. Sometimes he comes off as a crotchety old man, but he’s a legend and if he wants to rant and rave about the new generation, then so be it. He doesn’t have to be nice to his admirers.

[quote=“Seb (admin)”]
Legendary director Jean-Luc Godard has hit out at Quentin Tarantino - one of his biggest admirers - for using the title of one of his 1960s films without financially rewarding him. Maverick film-maker Tarantino took the name Band A Parte (Band Of Outsiders) from the New Wave icon’s 1964 movie and used it as the name for his production company. But Breathless filmmaker Godard, 74, is less than impressed by the Pulp Fiction director’s intended flattery. He says, "Tarantino named his production company after one of my films. He would have done better to give me some money."

source:imdb.com

personally, i think thats bullshit. godard should thank QT. after all, how does Qt profit from how he named his company? i’d even say that QT’s naming his company after that film helped the selling of that film on DVD
[/quote]

Now in France, the apparition of him at the tv are considered as funny things.

He seems to be high, always falling into strange trip ! But always seriously too !! :o

so to my mind it’s not really interesting to know what Godard can think now, because in fact, his brain is dead ! :-</E>

[quote=“shaman”]
because in fact, his brain is dead ! :-</E>[/quote]

[quote]discovers that the original enfant terrible of the French new wave has lost none of his fire[/quote] -from the interview Henry posted.

::slight_smile:

[quote=“GATSU”]
Godard: Awards:

Year Result Award Category/Recipient(s)

2001 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Éloge de l’amour (2001)

1990 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Nouvelle vague (1990)

1987 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Aria (1987)

Shared with:

Robert Altman

Bruce Beresford

Bill Bryden

Derek Jarman

Franc Roddam

Nicolas Roeg

Ken Russell

Charles Sturridge

Julien Temple

1985 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Détective (1985)

1982 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Passion (1982)

1980 Nominated Golden Palm

for: Sauve qui peut (la vie) (1980)

Quentin Awards:

1994 Won Golden Palm

1995 Won Oscar Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Shared with:

Roger Avary

Nominated Oscar Best Director

That’s gotta be a real bitch.

[/quote]

ill be the first to say its a terrible thing and its wrong, its not that quentin didnt diserve the awards but jeanluc DEFINITLY did, he stands above quentin, like it or not, cinematicly that it