Favourite Film Critics

Wondering what everyones favourite film critics/journalists are.

Mark Kermode and Mark Cousins just about the best I think. Even if I don’t always agree with their opinions their arguments are intelligent and well thought out.

Have’nt heard/seen/read much of Elvis Mitchells stuff but judging from “The treatment” hes a very knowledgeable guy. Roger Ebert is a bit of an old conservative crank but makes for entertaining reading, In England Jonathon Ross is ok but his brother Paul “Rent a Quote” Ross is an absolute joke.

Donald Clarke from the Irish Times is generally on the money too though his writing is a bit pedestrian.

QT’s favourites are Pauline Kael (deceased) and Andrew Sarris (think he still writes for a New York paper but I just know him as the auteur theory guy).

Anyone else?

It’s the day of printed critics and online reviewers, but I must admit, I read more from people online as we share more sensibilities.

Mike Bracken of thehorrorgeek.com is a good friend and also one of the best writers for genre cinema out there in my opinion. He’s knowledgeable in all facets of film, but has made his niche in horror cinema. You may remember him best as “the horror geek” on comedy central’s ill-fated “Beat the Geeks”. Mike was one of the first guys out there doing write-ups online for flicks like Ilsa and Salo, but actually treating them with actual respect, like that bestowed on more modern films. So I try to read everything Mike writes as we’re almost always on the same page and if not, I still respect him.

Tom Mes from Midnight Eye is another guy who covers his respective field very well. Covering Japanese cinema mainly, his book on Takashi Miike (Agitator: The Cinema of Takashi Miike) is a tome of information and also just an all around great read. Definitely recommend it as well as the site, especially if you’re interested in modern Japanese cinema.

I’m my own favourite film critic.

I discovered Roger Ebert a couple of weeks ago. He’s the only film critic I know and as far as the reviews I’ve read from him go, I value his opinion.

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]I’m my own favourite film critic.[/quote]
I too enjoy your reviews, they are most assuredly awesome ;D

No links, but The Cinema Snob and The Angry Video Game Nerd (when he does his Cinemassacre reviews) are also great video film critics.

I’d also like to throw out Ben and Dan from the The Mondo Movie Podcast, as both guys are really great. Always funny and entertaining, but so passionate about film. Sometimes just listening to them talk about older films that I have seen riles me up so much that I have to go back and watch them immediately just to get that same feeling that they do.

Well i could say Roger Ebert is my favourite but I dont agree with him all the time. I thought his review of Transformers 2 was exactly what I would say, he said “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments. If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination”. I thought that was hillarious and very true. On the other hand I disagreed with him for his review of Gladiator. He basicly said he was unhappy with Gladiator because it didnt have a shot of blue skies throughout the film. But I would still say Roger Ebert is my favourite film critic.

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]I’m my own favourite film critic.[/quote]

man you should do one of those reviews on Red Dawn if you’ve seen it. and if you havent im sure you’ll like it!

[quote=“pantsman”]
Tom Mes from Midnight Eye is another guy who covers his respective field very well. Covering Japanese cinema mainly, his book on Takashi Miike (Agitator: The Cinema of Takashi Miike) is a tome of information and also just an all around great read. Definitely recommend it as well as the site, especially if you’re interested in modern Japanese cinema.[/quote]

I’ll second Tom Mes.

Also, Jasper Sharp, David Stratton and Tony Rayns.

I can’t say I read much in the way of actual reviews. I prefer the analytical style of S&S and I tend to read a lot of scholarly work. Mostly because I can make up my own mind about whether a film is good or not and it’s film study that I prefer to hear from critics, not film evaluation.

The theory of film was what I leaned towards in film school, even though I do enjoy the practical aspect of filmmaking. But almost all my High Distinctions came in Film Analysis and Game Analysis classes.

Ebert gets my respect.

Hate Robert Wilonsky…I dont think the man even LIKES movies

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”][quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]I’m my own favourite film critic.[/quote]

man you should do one of those reviews on Red Dawn if you’ve seen it. and if you havent im sure you’ll like it![/quote]

yeah I’ve seen it, it was very cool. maybe I’ll do a video on it someday.